(Topic ID: 296683)

Advice for a new player

By UCFKnight71

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DBB83B5C-47A5-4F92-9191-EFB4AD68A4E7 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210711_122359688 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210711_122343627 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210711_122335669 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    T4 (resized).jpg
    T3 (resized).jpg
    T2 (resized).jpg
    8A67832B-DC35-4D6F-A2E1-39E787DDDCE0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Hello,

I just got back into pinball after buying an AtGames Legends virtual machine. It inspired me to go out and play some real machines, and now I'm hooked again! We just reclaimed a little bit of space in the house, and I would love to own a real machine. Any advice for someone new to the hobby? I'd like a machine that is affordable, relatively easy to maintain (I have basic electronics skills like soldering), and fun to play. My dream machines are Monster Bash and Medieval Madness, but they are way out of my price range. If I started with a budget of $2000 (with shipping included), what machines should I be on the lookout for? Unfortunately, here in Florida, everything is way overpriced. Most of the electromagnetic machines don't seem to be all that fun to me, even though they are more affordable, but an early solid state like Firepower would be a nice compromise. If I could get a nice machine restored, and within my budget, that would be a great start. Might even make me sell some of my stuff to make more room and expand my budget!

#2 2 years ago

Go to shows. Hook up with local collectors.

The more contacts you make. The better the chance to find a game in your budget. And new friends to help you search and repairs in the future.

Welcome to pinball !

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Thanks! I plan on doing all of that. Would love to hear some starter game suggestions from this community as well.

#4 2 years ago

Find an event in your area: https://www.ifpapinball.com/calendar/index.php
    You'll meet other pinheads there. Get to know people, let them know you're in the market. Doors will open.

Also: Welcome to Pinside!

#5 2 years ago

The early Sterns are fun they are just a step above EM's but well worth it ....good machines to learn on ...not that hard to fix. I bought a Stern Memory Lane because it was cheap and I wanted to try out an early SS machine and now it's bolted to the floor.

#6 2 years ago

Florida prices are actually lower than the rest of the market.

#7 2 years ago

Since your in Florida make sure you check out the termite threads on this forum so you don't get burned

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Thanks! I plan on doing all of that. Would love to hear some starter game suggestions from this community as well.

Quoted from UCFKnight71:

If I started with a budget of $2000 (with shipping included),...

I'd start saving more monies right now. Shipping is probably going to be around 4-500 so that's eating a ton of you budget...always try to pick up something local.

I would be looking for any Williams System 11s personally. System 6 and 7 also. You can pretty much throw out anything DMD+ plus or minus a couple that you wouldn't;t want anyway.

Quoted from UCFKnight71:

If I could get a nice machine restored, and within my budget, that would be a great start.

This is your first machine, don't worry aboot all the catch phrases you read here like "restored" and "minty" and all that shit; 2K aint gonna happen.
    Just work on getting the forst solid machine that come up near you. Play it, have fun, learn, & then save up more monies for Game #2.Rinse and repeat forever

#9 2 years ago

System 11s and early Data Easts will be your best bet and there are many totally awesome options.

I would recommend:

High Speed
    Torpedo Alley
    Pinbot without topper (to fit budget)

Good luck!

Check pinside/facebook/craigslist for a local option. Wait about a month and something will pop up.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'd start saving more monies right now. Shipping is probably going to be around 4-500 so that's eating a ton of you budget...always try to pick up something local.
    I would be looking for any Williams System 11s personally. System 6 and 7 also. You can pretty much throw out anything DMD+ plus or minus a couple that you wouldn't;t want anyway.

This is your first machine, don't worry aboot all the catch phrases you read here like "restored" and "minty" and all that shit; 2K aint gonna happen.
    Just work on getting the forst solid machine that come up near you. Play it, have fun, learn, & then save up more monies for Game #2.Rinse and repeat forever

Thanks! I hear all kinds of stuff to look out for, but really I'll be happy to just find a solid machine locally. Probably do need to up my budget if I want one shipped!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

System 11s and early Data Easts will be your best bet and there are many totally awesome options.
    I would recommend:
    High Speed
    Torpedo Alley
    Pinbot without topper (to fit budget)
    Good luck!
    Check pinside/facebook/craigslist for a local option. Wait about a month and something will pop up.

Those all sound like good options. I can stretch my budget a little. I just don't want to spend too much on a starter machine. Pinbot and Torpedo Alley would both be amazing if I could find them in good shape and close to my budget.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Those all sound like good options. I can stretch my budget a little. I just don't want to spend too much on a starter machine. Pinbot and Torpedo Alley would both be amazing if I could find them in good shape and close to my budget.

I purchased the most expensive Totrpedo Alley with a confirmed sale price in the History of Pinside... I paid $2300. Picked up a mostly working ROBOCOP with it for $1500 in a package deal. There are deals out there but patience is key. Sold a project booting complete Space Shuttle last month for $600.

#13 2 years ago

I doubt you can get a pinbot for 2K now. Keep an eye out on FB and here. Something will show up eventually. Just be patient and be ready to make a move. I will add that just because a game is an EM, doesnt make it bad. I love the sound of them and the short fast games can be very fun and exciting. Dont be afraid to give them a go. You can always settle with tourneys and location play until you find the right game. Good luck and play pinball!

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I purchased the most expensive Totrpedo Alley with a confirmed sale price in the History of Pinside... I paid $2300. Picked up a mostly working ROBOCOP with it for $1500 in a package deal. There are deals out there but patience is key. Sold a project booting complete Space Shuttle last month for $600.

Man, I would love a Robocop machine. That jump is super fun!

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I doubt you can get a pinbot for 2K now. Keep an eye out on FB and here. Something will show up eventually. Just be patient and be ready to make a move. I will add that just because a game is an EM, doesnt make it bad. I love the sound of them and the short fast games can be very fun and exciting. Dont be afraid to give them a go. You can always settle with tourneys and location play until you find the right game. Good luck and play pinball!

Any EM's that have good flow, some complexity, and more modern flippers?

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Any EM's that have good flow, some complexity, and more modern flippers?

There are plenty of EMs with good flow. In fact, I would argue they almost all have great flow. The only time where the all isnt moving is in a saucer generally. And they can have some truly unique layouts and rules. There are even some that have multiball. As for complexity, it depends on what you mean. Are the rules as deep as a new Stern, or JJP? Probably not. At least in terms of mechs. Pinball is the same across every game ever made. You hit switches and scores points. Card themed games can have you hitting a changing target to get the right pair to beat the dealer. I have an OXO that is tic-tac-toe themed. Its not as easy as you think to get 3 in a row. Now, as for a modern flipper feel? Not gonna happen. They wont be as snappy, but for some games you can high tap the transformer to get more flipper power and snappyness. This is not always recommended though. Just saying to give them a chance. I did and fell in love. But that is a story for another day.

#17 2 years ago

look for something like Black Knight, 2000 to 2500 or blackout or gorgar at 1500 each .Buy local no reason to pay 500 to ship in that price range.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

look for something like Black Knight, 2000 to 2500 or blackout or gorgar at 1500 each .Buy local no reason to pay 500 to ship in that price range.

Those are all great suggestions! Black Knight and Gorgar are always fun. Haven't tried Blackout yet.

#19 2 years ago

Single player EM are generally going to offer a deeper game play because they were usually designed to complete a certain task(s) over 5 balls as apposed to multi-player EM's which usually reset all sequences at the beginning of each ball. There is a learning curve to EM repair, but thankfully there are some great online guides and repair support. If you are thinking about an EM, read the instruction card to understand the game...watch some videos. As others have mentioned, it might be better just to pick up what you can find locally if it fits your budge and it's in nice condition. Do not rush, wait for something with nice backglass and playfield. Watch your facebook market place and craigslist for games...check a couple times each day until you find your deal.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

Single player EM are generally going to offer a deeper game play because they were usually designed to complete a certain task(s) over 5 balls as apposed to multi-player EM's

EMs have their charm and are comparatively cheap but there is really no comparison to modern games. If UCFKnight71 would like a Pinbot there is no EM that will scratch that itch. Most people don't like to play them if something else is available. That's why you rarely see them on location and when you do they're usually not being played. Walk around any pinball show and it's the EMs that have no line.

Also Centaur and Sorcerer should be near that price range if you can find them.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Centaur II maybe

#22 2 years ago

Sorcerer is a great machine! I'd love to find one of those. Would Gorgar be a good first machine? There's one available not too far from my house.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Sorcerer is a great machine! I'd love to find one of those. Would Gorgar be a good first machine? There's one available not too far from my house.

Heck yeah! A good machine to learn some maintenance on too -

Of course, depends on condition and price, but if you have pics of the game we'll be glad to chime in - always need to check the boards for battery corrosion on this era game (well, ALL games........)

#24 2 years ago

I agree with the suggestions to meet your local pinheads.
    When I was getting back in the hobby, I hit the local shows and met a couple hundred cool people or more. Some of these are great friends now.

The shows the shows. And then flipping occurs at each one. See you around there!

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I agree with the suggestions to meet your local pinheads.
    When I was getting back in the hobby, I hit the local shows and met a couple hundred cool people or more. Some of these are great friends now.
    The shows the shows. And then flipping occurs at each one. See you around there!

I’m the guy in the right.

Supposed to imbed in my other post. Banning baby!

8A67832B-DC35-4D6F-A2E1-39E787DDDCE0 (resized).jpeg8A67832B-DC35-4D6F-A2E1-39E787DDDCE0 (resized).jpeg

#26 2 years ago

Pinbot was my first game. Still have it, still enjoy it. It is a great first pin.

#27 2 years ago

EMs have their charm and are comparatively cheap but there is really no comparison to modern games. If UCFKnight71 would like a Pinbot there is no EM that will scratch that itch. Most people don't like to play them if something else is available. That's why you rarely see them on location and when you do they're usually not being played. Walk around any pinball show and it's the EMs that have no line.

Op asked about EM and I added my 2 cents. Most EMs at shows play poorly so people who have never played one in proper operating condition think they all suck.

#28 2 years ago

Just missed out on the Gorgar, so I'll keep at it! Lots of great suggestions here. Went to the Pinball Lounge in Orlando today and had a blast playing Scared Stiff. What a great machine--wish I could afford one.

#29 2 years ago

EMs were something I had to ‘grow’ into (born in ‘73 so I think that is part of the reason). That being said, now I love them.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Just missed out on the Gorgar, so I'll keep at it! Lots of great suggestions here. Went to the Pinball Lounge in Orlando today and had a blast playing Scared Stiff. What a great machine--wish I could afford one.

Go back, play some more, get to know the regulars. Today, many games change hands between collectors - at reasonable prices. And, you will build a group that can help you fix yours.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

//<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"1c7b7128ca92692802d0db57c083887286a4933e-1626257973-1800"};
    //]]>

Don’t ship your first game. Too many risks. Be patient. Buy local or within a half days drive.

Buy anything that works almost 100%. That’s a perfect starter game.

#32 2 years ago

Space Shuttle seems to hover around 1500-2000 still and is a great first game with not alot on it that is difficult to fix or maintain for a new owner.

System 11 games are great but they seem to be few and far between (at least working) under 2K anymore unless you stumble on a deal. The ones that are cheaper like Road Kings, Millionaire, etc. are usually cheap because they aren't great players. It's all subjective of course though at the end of the day!

#33 2 years ago

I'd suggest joining a league in your area. You'll meet a ton of great people that will have all sorts of insight into the pinball community in your area.

It looks like the Pinball Lounge hosts two leagues, a Recreational one and what they call a Pro league. Most leagues flight players into divisions, so you'll be matched up with players of similar skill level.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'd suggest joining a league in your area. You'll meet a ton of great people that will have all sorts of insight into the pinball community in your area.
    It looks like the Pinball Lounge hosts two leagues, a Recreational one and what they call a Pro league. Most leagues flight players into divisions, so you'll be matched up with players of similar skill level.

I just checked out the Pinball Lounge yesterday! I would like to join a league as a newbie.

#35 2 years ago

Ok, so I have a lead on two machines:

Laser Ball (Bally 1979) $2000, will deliver to my house for another $200 (it's 2.5 hours away)
    Black Belt (Bally 1986) $1800, Have to figure out how to pick it up (1.5 hours away)

Any advice?!

Is it easy to remove and reattach the back box for Black Belt? I was hoping to fit it in my Honda CRV so that I don't have to rent a truck!

#36 2 years ago

EMs at the shows have no lines because people are poor players without a million ball saves. They drain 5 balls in less than a minute and walk away defeated.

#37 2 years ago

I think I'm down to Black Belt now. Is $1800 a fair price? Also, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to pick it up and bring it home.

#38 2 years ago

Sure thats a good starter game if it’s fully working and ready to go. Try to get it for as cheap as possible.

Bring a friend and a hand truck.

Bring a 5/8 socket and a 9/16 socket. Bring a drill with a brand new set of bits (for drilling out the lock if needed)

Bring cardboard or pipe insulation to put between the head and the game when the head is folded down.

Bring shrink wrap or a ratchet strap to hold the head to the game for transport.

Take the balls out of the game and anything loose inside the cabinet.

Fold head down and strap to the game.

Take the back legs off first. Put the back end of the game on the ground.

Then lift the game up and put fully on its ass so the coin door points to the sky. Take front legs off.

Hand truck it to the car. Put it in the car coin door first.

Do all that in reverse when you get home.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sure thats a good starter game if it’s fully working and ready to go. Try to get it for as cheap as possible.
    Bring a friend and a hand truck.
    Bring a 5/8 socket and a 9/16 socket. Bring a drill with a brand new set of bits (for drilling out the lock if needed)
    Bring cardboard or pipe insulation to put between the head and the game when the head is folded down.
    Bring shrink wrap or a ratchet strap to hold the head to the game for transport.
    Take the balls out of the game and anything loose inside the cabinet.
    Fold head down and strap to the game.
    Take the back legs off first. Put the back end of the game on the ground.
    Then lift the game up and put fully on its ass so the coin door points to the sky. Take front legs off.
    Hand truck it to the car. Put it in the car coin door first.
    Do all that in reverse when you get home.

Thanks for the detailed response! When I fold the head down, do I have to disconnect anything?

#40 2 years ago

Here are the pictures from the listing. Listing says works 100% and includes the manual.

T2 (resized).jpgT2 (resized).jpgT3 (resized).jpgT3 (resized).jpgT4 (resized).jpgT4 (resized).jpg
    #41 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

When I fold the head down, do I have to disconnect anything?

There are usually two bolts inside the head that have to be removed before you can fold it down. Sometimes it’s an Allen key on the back side used to lock the head in position. Often a clip than can be unsnapped as well.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #42 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Thanks for the detailed response! When I fold the head down, do I have to disconnect anything?

No. Just the bolts that hold the head onto the game.

#43 2 years ago

Take that clip off the game too. Helps for smooth hand trucking.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from Stebel:

EMs at the shows have no lines because people are poor players without a million ball saves. They drain 5 balls in less than a minute and walk away defeated.

I think the reason there's no lines,is because the modern pins are much more fun!

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from UCFKnight71:

Here are the pictures from the listing. Listing says works 100% and includes the manual.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Check the ramps out closely when you get there. Especially at the entrance. It’s always busted. Might help you get it for cheaper.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I think the reason there's no lines,is because the modern pins are much more fun!

Debatable. It usually takes time for pinheads to make their way back on the calendar. Some are just as fun, if not more fun than modern pins, especially on replay ability and playing against friends.

Most people at shows are newbies. Flashy lights are light bug lights for newbies.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Debatable. It usually takes time for pinheads to make their way back on the calendar. Some are just as fun, if not more fun than modern pins, especially on replay ability and playing against friends.
    Most people at shows are newbies. Flashy lights are light bug lights for newbies.

I stopped in at an all Em pinball arcade near me last Sunday. It's 25 cents for two plays. The place has a ton of Em pinball machines,and I was trying to see which one I'd like to buy,if I ever seen one for sale.
    After playing for almost an hour,I found out that maybe they're not for me anymore? I liked them when I was growing up,but in my heart,I'm not so sure if I'd like to buy one now ? I was kinda disappointed with my discovery, because I really thought I was gonna leave with a nice list of Em's I'd like to hunt down and buy
    I did own an EM and it was a lot of fun working on,so if I do ever see a nice Flying Carpet,for a decent price,I will have to buy it. I had a lot of fun playing this in the early 70's.
    I'm gonna give them another shot at this coming Pinfest,but I'm afraid that the Em thrill is gone. Now I understand what people mean when they say,I wanted to like it !

IMG_20210711_122335669 (resized).jpgIMG_20210711_122335669 (resized).jpgIMG_20210711_122343627 (resized).jpgIMG_20210711_122343627 (resized).jpgIMG_20210711_122359688 (resized).jpgIMG_20210711_122359688 (resized).jpg
    #49 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

but I'm afraid that the Em thrill is gone. Now I understand what people mean when they say,I wanted to like it !

Don;t let it worry you; the feeling will come back someday.

#50 2 years ago

We are in a sad state because $2,000 opens up such a limited range of titles. Six years ago I sold a good DW for $2,200 to a friend. Cabinet fade and cabinet dings was the only things holding it back from being considered nice. That game now could possibly sell for nearly double now. With your price you are in broken DMD territory or needs love solid state territory (pre-dmd).

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-for-a-new-player?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.