Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B7ECB555-A54E-4B25-837F-E215C8AF0C35 (resized).jpeg
    9906DB4D-A1E5-4649-A698-C6C0996D27D8 (resized).jpeg
    7CA3399F-6A77-4B18-99B0-CE1E68E9C8FB (resized).jpeg
    A1698F77-B795-40AB-ADD0-99A539E3457E (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 7.17.52 AM (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

What’s the best way to remove a coin door lock without the key? Thx

#3 4 years ago

Yeah I figured as much, just wondering if there is a step by step guide w/ pics of some sort, so I don’t jack up the coin box door. Thx

#4 4 years ago

Sometimes there is a way to get behind the door -> If so, just unscrew the nut holding the lock in.
    Otherwise drill it out - I use a 1/4" drill bit - drill right into the middle of where the key goes.

#5 4 years ago

Imagine the sense of pride and devious skills you would gain by learning out to pick it without damage. I've had to this once so far and the kit I received as a gift a few years back actually proved useful. And it's only $21.

https://www.amazon.com/A-SL-GBB-Lock-Sets-Included/dp/B07VXFLB53/ref=sr_1_4

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 7.17.52 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-05 at 7.17.52 AM (resized).png

#6 4 years ago

Drill baby drill!
    I got these to avoid these type problems...
    This also makes it a lot easier to remove the glass for cleaning or whatever...
    https://www.pinballlife.com/keyless-coin-door-lock.html

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

so I don’t jack up the coin box door. Thx

Drilling doesnt hurt the coin door at all. It's very very easy.

Nice sharp 1/2 inch drill bit right down the center of lock. Takes 15 seconds.

#8 4 years ago

I would suggest a couple of options:

1) If you have access to the backbox and/or lifting the playfield, i would scrounge around looking for the key. I have found many...MANY keys this way.
    2) You can sometimes use a screw driver or butter knife to open it. If it is possible, open and look for the key hanging inside the coin door or on the inside of the cab.
    3) If you have other keys laying around, you can test them. Some operators and collectors use "common keys" which open up a ton of different games. It's worth a shot. You can also pick the lock if you have the tools or skills.
    4) Drill it. 1/4 to 1/2 bit are typically used to drill straight down the center and gain access. Replacement locks with keys run about 4-5 bucks. Look for double bitted 7/8 barrel/cam lock with keys. Home depot, lowes, walmart, Amazon, and eBay are great places to find them.

Here is a good example:

ebay.com link: 7 8 PINBALL MACHINE ARCADE GAME LOCK DOUBLE BITTED LOCKS QUALITY HAPP COIN DOOR

#9 4 years ago

Put a trash can under the coin door to catch the metal shavings and drill it...its easy and only takes a minute

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Drilling doesnt hurt the coin door at all. It's very very easy.
    Nice sharp 1/2 inch drill bit right down the center of lock. Takes 15 seconds.

Got it, but do I just drill till the lock gives or do I use a screw driver after I “gap” a hole in the key hole? Never did it before and I don’t want to jack up the surroundings of the machine. Thanks

#11 4 years ago

This should be obvious but that drill bit will be hot enough to set fire to paper immediately after drilling the lock. Let it cool of a bit before you take it out.

Source: My dumb 12 year old self.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

Got it, but do I just drill till the lock gives or do I use a screw driver after I “gap” a hole in the key hole? Never did it before and I don’t want to jack up the surroundings of the machine. Thanks

After you drill the lock enough to make it turn, you can open the coin door and remove the nut on the back of the lock to remove it from the door.
    You will need a new lock of some type to keep the door closed after you get the old lock out.
    The lock on the back box should probably also be replaced near the same time so that the key (if required) fits both locks.

#13 4 years ago

I generally avoid ever suggesting lock-picking kits to anybody. While, yeah, Amazon does sell them, state laws do vary.
    Without a locksmith license there's a lot of places where it's a felony to have them on you.

#14 4 years ago

I assume its not, but in the instance that you have a lock with a tubular cam (round key) you can sometimes pick it with the end of a bic pen.
    You basically pop the end off the pen, jam it in there, wiggle it around and try to turn it.

Also, sometimes I try the random keys that I have from various other machines before drilling.
    Every once in a while one works.

#15 4 years ago

I'll add that if you're going to drill it, be sure you use a quality steel drill bit. Nothing worse than breaking a bit off in the lock and being really unable to open it then.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Put a trash can under the coin door to catch the metal shavings and drill it...its easy and any takes a minute

Great advice. No mess. Thanks everyone. I got it done without a hassle. I could have done it blindly, but i figured pinside advice would make things smarter not harder. 9906DB4D-A1E5-4649-A698-C6C0996D27D8 (resized).jpeg9906DB4D-A1E5-4649-A698-C6C0996D27D8 (resized).jpeg7CA3399F-6A77-4B18-99B0-CE1E68E9C8FB (resized).jpeg7CA3399F-6A77-4B18-99B0-CE1E68E9C8FB (resized).jpegA1698F77-B795-40AB-ADD0-99A539E3457E (resized).jpegA1698F77-B795-40AB-ADD0-99A539E3457E (resized).jpeg
    B7ECB555-A54E-4B25-837F-E215C8AF0C35 (resized).jpegB7ECB555-A54E-4B25-837F-E215C8AF0C35 (resized).jpeg

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

Great advice. No mess. Thanks everyone. I got it done without a hassle. I could have done it blindly, but i figured pinside advice would make things smarter not harder. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Sheer curiousity...did you find a key inside?

#18 4 years ago

I pick them, amazing what you can do with a paperclip with a few bends in it and a 90 degree pick.

Patience and pressure.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Put a trash can under the coin door to catch the metal shavings and drill it...its easy and only takes a minute

Or have someone run a shop vac as you drill the lock. It's a real mess if those shavings get into carpet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-coin-door-lock-w-o-key-?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.