Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Calipindave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

Hello! I’m new to the hobby but am looking into getting a second pin probably just after New Years. I’m a LOTR nut, and love the look of that game. I have yet to play it and intend to do so in the near future.

However, I’m a pragmatist as well. I could also pick up a new or slightly used stern pro for a lot less than a 15yo game. My wife and kids would also be playing and I want to avoid something over complicated and boring. We’ve all had fun playing several of these machines out in the wild.

My budget will be right around 5-6K.

Any advice?

Thanks!

#2 5 months ago

Metallica!!!!

#3 5 months ago

Since you are a LOTR fan I would just get LOTR since it’s in your budget and an outstanding game. Theme goes a long way if you love it.

#4 5 months ago

Save your money and research. Playing multiple pins multiple times is best. I live in a hole (no pins close). Watch YouTube. Do research. Don’t rush. This is a big purchase. Have fun. Then, pull the trigger. You won’t regret jumping in.

#5 5 months ago

Well I just put an LOTR on the classified and it is right in your budget

Dave

#6 5 months ago
Quoted from Calipindave:

Well I just put an LOTR on the classified and it is right in your budget
Dave

It’s beautiful. I hope for your sake it isn’t around until the New Years, but if it is, I’ll probably be in touch!

#7 5 months ago

In spite of its age, LOTR is plenty deep for a small collection even if you are a better than average player. You certainly should try to play any game before you buy it, but you're relatively safe with LOTR as its price is pretty stable so if you do decide to sell it you'll probably get your money back out of it more or less.

There are several of pin events in Florida and the Southeast, those are good opportunities to try out some games you wouldn't get to play otherwise.

Good luck with whatever you end up purchasing.

#8 5 months ago

LotR is a **Great** pin and easy to sell so it's not a bad idea. however you did also write:

Quoted from fissionch1ps:

I want to avoid something over complicated and boring.

LotR can be quite great but it's also a chore. I mean if you have just a few pins, LotR might be heavy and while fun to me it was just something I didn't love to play a lot. Probably not the best pin for multiplayer action. I had no trouble selling it and while I do miss it, I feel like other pins like TWD pro, Met pro, IM are more action/exciting for the money. I just got TNA and while it's not deep at all, it's quite fun and exciting.

Depends on what you like but to me AFM (short type rules) is more fun than LotR might be out of your budget so maybe something like SM, Met pro, TWD pro (etc.) is more what I'd recommend.

Let me be clear, Lotr is a great pin and you should own one at some point but it was more of a chore to hit start after I had played several games.

If you could swing AFM that would be my advice but if not something like a Borg pro (Tron, IM, TWD, Met) or maybe SM.

#9 5 months ago

Hobbit. Great family game, easy to learn, deep enough to last, and you can get a used mint one for $6-6500k. Best theme integration you'll find too.

#10 5 months ago

LotR has some of the best toys (magnet, sword ramp) and has great ramps and great rules, great art. Overall it's a great pin.

bad aspects for me was dark lighting even with LEDs and sound just not up to par with more modern pin and just that the rules while great tend to lead to some long games.

#11 5 months ago

If your question is new vs old, then clearly new. Most are plenty exciting, fewer problems, come with warranties, support, and contemporary themes. Look at Deadpool with the family friendly audio option turned on.
If your question is LOTR vs. anything else, well clearly LOTR, as it's a great pin in its own right, and you're already saying It's a grail theme for you, and you've got a sale right in front of you.
If your question is tell me what to buy after New Years, then your waiting to see Munsters like the rest of us. But I'd still take a good look at Deadpool. Not too complicated, a fun shooter, and the Pro- right in your budget- is the way to go (vs Premium) by most accounts.

#12 5 months ago

while Munsters has potential it's a chance if the code will be complete and well done in a timely manner (Kiss) even great pins like TWD, Metallica, ST took YEARs for the code to catch up.

I'm really the type to wait and see anymore, if you get a game that's already well along the code like met pro you know what you are getting.

Still think LotR is a great choice but it may not be for everyone, but it's quick to sell if you don't love it.

#13 5 months ago

LOTR is actually a perfect pin it sounds. It was my very first pin and I owned it for 7 years. Kids love shooting the ring and Balrog. It’s not overly complex in the sense that it’s easy to follow what you need to do; (i.e. shoot the fellowship characters to get fellowship of the ring mb, light LOCKs to get Two Towers mb, collect souls for return of the king, shoot ring for a mode.). The rest will come and it’s very intuitive.

I too am a big fan of the LOTR trilogy. The pin does the movie justice on so many levels, you will love it. The only negatives I can say about LOTR is it can be klunky at times and ball times can be long which is actually good for kids and new players, but bad for multiplayer games. I’d recommend just turning off extra balls anytime you play multiplayer to make it more inviting and fun for all players involved. Otherwise, it’s a fantastic single player game.

#14 5 months ago

Totally different direction but I just picked up a sterns POTC based on other recommendation as being for my family (8 and 10 girls) and deep enough for adults.

It was a hit over thanksgiving, put on ~150 plays!

Check out the thread under my user name with some great insights on a first pin for the family.

I have only played about 5 games on LOTR so can’t offer my input there. I just knew that theme wasn’t going to get past my wife so didn’t really dive deep on it.

#15 5 months ago

Go to PAPA.org

https://papa.org/learning-center/players-guide/#1526496143817-2618203f-73ce

There are pages and pages of videos of pinballs in action. The are tutorials, tournament action, and just plain old videos of games being played. Watch and learn. Keep repeating that. You will be surprised at how one game will get you pumped but later on, after you have viewed others, you will look back and try to remember why you ever liked a particular game.

Don't get in a hurry. Sure , you may buy a pin and decide you don't like it and sell it and not lose money. But buying a pin, setting up a pin, fixing a new-to-you pin can cost you many hours of time. Maybe you will get lucky and make money if you make a bad buy; But you also may lose money.

Also, unless you are the super fix it guy, if you can, try to find pins in the same family for hardware. This way you can trade parts around do do trouble shooting and repairing, This lets you concentrate your knowledge instead of having to figure out the vagaries of different manufacturers. Many others here are way more qualified to help you in that area then I am.

#16 5 months ago

Thanks for all the sage advice!

Quoted from konghusker:

Hobbit. Great family game, easy to learn, deep enough to last, and you can get a used mint one for $6-6500k. Best theme integration you'll find too.

I would love to get a chance to play this. I don’t know of anywhere to play it, but it’s sitting at the upper budget mark. The theme is on point.

Quoted from jkleinnd:

If your question is new vs old, then clearly new. Most are plenty exciting, fewer problems, come with warranties, support, and contemporary themes. Look at Deadpool with the family friendly audio option turned on.
If your question is LOTR vs. anything else, well clearly LOTR, as it's a great pin in its own right, and you're already saying It's a grail theme for you, and you've got a sale right in front of you.
If your question is tell me what to buy after New Years, then your waiting to see Munsters like the rest of us. But I'd still take a good look at Deadpool. Not too complicated, a fun shooter, and the Pro- right in your budget- is the way to go (vs Premium) by most accounts.

This was the crux of my post. I don’t mind maintenance, but I already have a project pin. I want one me and my fam can have fun with. Not one I need to baby or I’m fixing more than playing. Deadpool is a great example. My kids are crazy about the character and my wife and I have a ton of fun playing it. The multiballs are easy, so it’s a nice contrast to my F2K’s hard ass multiball.

I’ll need to play LOTR and Hobbit to compare. Here’s an example of my Tolkien fandom. I made it over the summer (Not pinball related) https://m.imgur.com/a/Eu7D5bs

#17 5 months ago

Best recommendation i can offer is to go with the theme and gameplay that you and your fam likes the best. I wouldnt put as much emphasis on new vs old. All games are subject to issues. Old doesnt mean not maintained or unreliable. New doesnt mean trouble free. The first pin i bought and still own is over 20 years old now. And ive done nothing but change batteries on it in 4 years. theres a tremendous amount of support available for old games (Pinside Community).

#18 5 months ago

I think the same way but the best thing is to get the game you and your family enjoy. Sounds like LOTR is that game. LOTR is not my favorite game but it does have plenty to offer just like any new game. Some games just click and those games are the best. One other thing to consider when talking money, games like LOTR will always hold their value where you just about always lose some value on a nib game. You could buy LOTR now before prices go up any higher and then a slightly used pro of something like Deadpool down the road.

Maintenance is always part of pinball. New games do hold up well but something always needs fixing/adjusting just like any game. Older games may need some attention up front but once sorted and maintained they can be extremely reliable. My Congo gave me nothing but trouble for months when I first got it. After addressing all the issues one by one, it's been my most reliable game since. Only problem is some older games can turn into a money pit.

#19 5 months ago

First , welcome to the hobby. As a LOTR owner I would hold off on it maybe considering your wife and kids level
of skill. With its extended game play it is not something to play all the time but
maybe for yourself it would be ideal if you are an average to better player. I would play it first just like any other
game. You need to spend time on it. Its truly a masterpiece. Your family might be different with this one and just another machine.
Its great in a larger collection.
So much to choose in this price range new or old. I like Stern's POTC which have been popping up quite a bit
for sale. Maybe go for a ST Pro or perhaps go a little more on a AFM/MB Classic.
You can't beat these four for family fun!

#20 5 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

One other thing to consider when talking money, games like LOTR will always hold their value where you just about always lose some value on a nib game. [...] Only problem is some older games can turn into a money pit.

The game holding value is a good point to consider. It mitigates the risk of it being a dud for the family if I look at it as parking the money instead of losing it. I'm not sure I could ever let a LOTR anything go though. I'm sick.

Quoted from FalconDriver:

As a LOTR owner I would hold off on it maybe considering your wife and kids level
of skill. [...]So much to choose in this price range new or old. I like Stern's POTC which have been popping up quite a bit
for sale. Maybe go for a ST Pro or perhaps go a little more on a AFM/MB Classic.
You can't beat these four for family fun!

Second mention of Pirates. I'm going to have to find a local pin on route and drag the clan to try it out. AFM and MB are ones i'll need to look at too, but they're a bit out of my price range. At the very least, I have a nice list of games to try to hunt down. The Replay Museum is about 1.5hrs from me, so i'll have some machines of interest when I make trip up with the fam.

#21 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Go to PAPA.org
https://papa.org/learning-center/players-guide/#1526496143817-2618203f-73ce
There are pages and pages of videos of pinballs in action. The are tutorials, tournament action, and just plain old videos of games being played. Watch and learn. Keep repeating that. You will be surprised at how one game will get you pumped but later on, after you have viewed others, you will look back and try to remember why you ever liked a particular game.
Don't get in a hurry. Sure , you may buy a pin and decide you don't like it and sell it and not lose money. But buying a pin, setting up a pin, fixing a new-to-you pin can cost you many hours of time. Maybe you will get lucky and make money if you make a bad buy; But you also may lose money.
Also, unless you are the super fix it guy, if you can, try to find pins in the same family for hardware. This way you can trade parts around do do trouble shooting and repairing, This lets you concentrate your knowledge instead of having to figure out the vagaries of different manufacturers. Many others here are way more qualified to help you in that area then I am.

I saw a video of someone killing Smaug on the Hobbit pin. May have been the coolest thing i've ever seen. Just opening up that one drop target as the kill shot. Brilliant.

#22 5 months ago

I think your right to at least try MB & AFM first, you might be surprised they are at the top for good reason and a brand new classic remake would be only slightly out of budget. With one game you want lasting power and of course appeal.

#23 5 months ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

I think your right to at least try MB & AFM first, you might be surprised they are at the top for good reason and a brand new classic remake would be only slightly out of budget. With one game you want lasting power and of course appeal.

I second this. "New vs. old" why not both?! You've got your choice of the top three rated machines on Pinside - MM, AFM, and MB - but they will be brand new.

If I'm not mistaken, the MB Classic Edition is $6k (plus shipping), and the AFM CE was recently dropped to $6k as well.

#24 5 months ago

PotC is a great pin and great for family and non pinheads. I’ve had mine for 10 years and still enjoy it. A bit cheaper than LotR in like condition.

PotC but it’s fun, good toys, good rules, good theme and good looking. Maybe it’s not a top20 pin but it’s very good pin imo to get people to understand how to play very quickly and very hard to defeat the final wizard modes.

#25 5 months ago

For reference here was my thread with very similar questions. Lots of good advice for what is the best 1st pin for someone with a family.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-pin-advice-houdini-or-something-else

Sinking the ship on pirates is fun for everyone! I also agree that the rules are deep enough but not too deep to understand.

#26 5 months ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

For reference here was my thread with very similar questions. Lots of good advice for what is the best 1st pin for someone with a family.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-pin-advice-houdini-or-something-else
Sinking the ship on pirates is fun for everyone! I also agree that the rules are deep enough but not too deep to understand.

Thanks! You were going around with cash in hand! It’s not that old of a thread, but do you feel happy with POTC vs. GOG? Going back to the old vs. new for the same price thing.

#27 5 months ago

Delete

#28 5 months ago

LOTR Is a great game that the whole family will enjoy to play.

#29 5 months ago

Wife and kids? New monsterbash remake classic edition.

#30 5 months ago

Thanks! You were going around with cash in hand! It’s not that old of a thread, but do you feel happy with POTC vs. GOG? Going back to the old vs. new for the same price thing.

I was also debating between new,GoG, vs used. I’m ultimately happy with POTC. I have played a few GoG games since picking up POTC and I like POTC better.

I do like the GoG theme and Movies better and the cool display but the gameplay on POTC seems better to me. I also liked the idea of buying a ~10 year old game knowing I can sell it for little to no loss (maybe even make a little $$$ ). Whereas even with a used GoG I figured I would likely lose money when I sold.

Now if I had found a recent release of AFM LE, MM or WOZ for close to $6k I would have been all over that!!

I recently played a new MB premium and it’s a cool game with lots of toys but I wasn’t hitting the shots. Feel like POTC has easier shots. MB seems like it would really come alive with a good player.

#31 5 months ago

I use Pinball Maps to find games when I’m traveling. Per that website, There are a few LOTRs in the Tampa area:

1. Kahuna’s Bar and Grill in St. Pete;
2. Replay Museum in Tarpon Springs (lots of puns there, including newer Sterns); and
3. LaLa Land Liquor & Lounge in Lakeland.

If you have some time, try to play it before you buy. The quality of the build of machines has improved since 2003.

#32 4 months ago

It’s beautiful. I hope for your sake it isn’t around until the New Years, but if it is, I’ll probably be in touch!

Thanks. I have had some interest in it, including locally here but it is still available. I have 6 machines and only room for 5. I have a Capt. Fantastic that has been languishing in my garage for years. I had it running and playing when I first got it in the 90s and did some extensive playfield touch ups. I bought a repro playfield maybe 8 years ago and took it offline pending the replacement which hasn't happened. I am looking forward to freeing up space to bring back an EM in the rotation.

I am not saying that it will be around after New Year, but I am not in any particular hurry to sell either.

Dave

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Northbrook, IL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Sale Pending!
Pasadena, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside