Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ChippedPlayfield_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Some time ago, the playfield on my Star Trek Pro chipped just slightly at the slingshot post. I took off the post, applied Hard as Nails and reassembled. Everything was fine for a while, but just recently another small chip developed in the same area. As you can see in the picture, it is purely cosmetic. I just don't want it to get worse. I thought that the sling rubber might be creating too much pressure so had the idea of adding a small washer under the post to even out the pressure. Today, while at a friend's house, I noticed that his PoTC had that exact thing -- a washer under the slingshot post. It looked like it was installed at the factory given the playfield art around it. So, my question is whether this is a valid fix? And, if this was the reason for the washer on PoTC, why did they stop putting washers on games like that?

ChippedPlayfield_(resized).JPGChippedPlayfield_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

Bump -- any feedback on this. I think adding a washer is a good idea, but for all I know it might make things worse.

#3 8 years ago

You could add a washer.

Make sure the sharp lip of the washer faces upwards, and use a tiny drop of Loctite (blue) to keep the screw from becoming loose.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks Vid. I may need to remove the screw from time to time so am reluctant to use Loctite. Are you suggesting it because the thickness of the washer may prevent the screw from being fully engaged?

#5 8 years ago

Would one of those plastic / Lexan washers that are generally used as plastic protectors work for under this . I'd be concerned about a steel washer causing a dent in the playfield . You wouldn't want it to stick out too far either otherwise it may change the path of the ball .

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I may need to remove the screw from time to time so am reluctant to use Loctite.

That's why you use a tiny amount of Blue Loctite. It will hold the bolt, but not in a permanent way.

Quoted from Nokoro:

. Are you suggesting it because the thickness of the washer may prevent the screw from being fully engaged?

When posts get loose, they chew up the surrounding playfield.

A #6 washer will normally be very thin.

#7 8 years ago

Does that post screw down directly into the playfield timber ? or does it screw into a T-nut under the playfield ? .

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's why you use a tiny amount of Blue Loctite. It will hold the bolt, but not in a permanent way.

When posts get loose, they chew up the surrounding playfield.
A #6 washer will normally be very thin.

Ok. Thanks.

Quoted from MIL:

Does that post screw down directly into the playfield timber ? or does it screw into a T-nut under the playfield ? .

I believe it goes in a T-nut if I remember correctly.

Quoted from MIL:

Would one of those plastic / Lexan washers that are generally used as plastic protectors work for under this .

Where would one get one of those?

#9 8 years ago

If you go w/ a washer, I'd go w/ a stainless steel one. They tend to be thinner.

#10 8 years ago

Just had another thought regarding this that may work . Could you change the post to one of the plastic star posts ? I just noticed my Avengers has the star ones from factory , Tron doesn't but I know of people who have put them on that . Thinking it might work here too . Would have to check clearance with the ball going down the return lane behind the slingshot .

These type :

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2865

Also here's the clear plastic washers :

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=223

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from MIL:

Just had another thought regarding this that may work . Could you change the post to one of the plastic star posts ? I just noticed my Avengers has the star ones from factory , Tron doesn't but I know of people who have put them on that . Thinking it might work here too . Would have to check clearance with the ball going down the return lane behind the slingshot .

Speaking from experience, star posts will affect the inlane feed in an unpleasant way typically

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Speaking from experience, star posts will affect the inlane feed in an unpleasant way typically

I'm not sure why. The part of the star lost that gets the rubber is the same width as the post that's there. The change is purely cosmetic since the ball cannot touch the post below the rubber. If it were me I would put star posts on this game in each side.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The part of the star lost that gets the rubber is the same width as the post that's there.

It's not - at least not on the set I have.

I switched my slings to star posts on Metallica back when the slings were causing airballs all the time. The inlanes were much more difficult to get balls in, and the idea of a 'power inlane' was completely eliminated. The sling switches also had to be gapped slightly differently.

#14 8 years ago

I don't think star posts will work. The diameter will be larger, stretching the ring tighter (I already have one that is prone to crack) and changing the dynamics of the playfield.

I like the clear washers, but it looks like 3/4" might be the smallest size, at least at pinballlife and marco. I think that will be a tad too large. I'll probably just go to the hardware store this weekend and get the thinnest washer around 1/2" that I can find.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Ok. Thanks.

I believe it goes in a T-nut if I remember correctly.

Where would one get one of those?

Be sure to not get loctite near the Plastic because it will attack the plastic and cause small cracks in it, making it brittle.

7 years later
#16 10 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Some time ago, the playfield on my Star Trek Pro chipped just slightly at the slingshot post. I took off the post, applied Hard as Nails and reassembled. Everything was fine for a while, but just recently another small chip developed in the same area. As you can see in the picture, it is purely cosmetic. I just don't want it to get worse. I thought that the sling rubber might be creating too much pressure so had the idea of adding a small washer under the post to even out the pressure. Today, while at a friend's house, I noticed that his PoTC had that exact thing -- a washer under the slingshot post. It looked like it was installed at the factory given the playfield art around it. So, my question is whether this is a valid fix? And, if this was the reason for the washer on PoTC, why did they stop putting washers on games like that?
[quoted image]

To totally cover the cosmetic imperfection, replace those post covers with star posts. It will protect it from further damage and also thee slightly larger star posts totally cover over the small paint chips so u cant see it at all anymore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 218.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-chipped-stern-playfield-near-slingshot-post and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.