Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20221018_140448 (resized).jpg
20220114_234004 (resized).jpg
20220114_165511 (resized).jpg
20220114_160845 (resized).jpg
20220114_160827 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tampa12.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

My son and I play Avengers infinity pin every day and after awhile we get flipper fade because flipper coils gets hotter then weaker, so we ordered cooling kit which should help. However still want faster shots and make shots up the inverted marvel ramp easier which ball REALLY struggles every time to climb even when flipper settings are maxed out and rear feet lowered. long story short we ordered 2 of Stern's strongest flipper coils for Avengers Infinity Pin which is 1 grade higher than what is installed and want to know if anyone has experience upgrading their flipper coils. You can see in the Pic my Godzilla pinball has coil 090-5020 no diode and game shoots amazing up the invert ramp. So we want that coil installed for our Avengers pin too.
see pic, my Godzilla pin has 090-5032-ND / 22-1080 coil on left and right coil is 090-5020-20-ND / 22-900 no diode.
Avengers infinity pin has 090-5032-ND / 22-1080 for both flippers and want to upgrade both flipper coils to 090-5020-20T coils but they have a diode. is wiring the new coil the same and is coil diode going to make a difference? I know diode allows voltage in one way and not the other, so i think it's protecting the coil or circuit. can I install these coils safely with diodes or should diodes be cut?
any advice is welcomed, I also have 10+ years experience fixing tech and some experience fixing Pins and changing coils.

20220114_160827 (resized).jpg20220114_160827 (resized).jpg20220114_160845 (resized).jpg20220114_160845 (resized).jpg20220114_165511 (resized).jpg20220114_165511 (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

With the active cooling of the Tibetan Breeze kit you ordered, you should be good to go - it will eliminate the fade. I would not recommend changing out the coils. I would instead look at optimizing your current setup to correct the coil performance:
1. Check EOS isn't triggering before flipper is at peak (use switch test and manually move flipper slowly and note when EOS triggers - adjust if it's before the flipper is at peak)
2. Check coil stop (REMOVE it and try to move the middle - visual inspection sometimes looks good when it's not)
3. Check coil sleeve for free movement.
4. Wax the playfield with a carnuba wax like P21S. Buff with lambswool pad.
5. Check that flipper switch blades at the flipper buttons are making solid contact when the button is depressed (both levels if there are 2 flippers on a side) instead of BARELY making contact which can cause the coils to flutter power and feel weak.
6. Check coil resistance with a multimeter (ohms setting) to make sure you don't have a bad or out of spec coil robbing you of power.
7. Check power settings in system menu for coils. With active cooling, you can afford to turn this up to give more power. (you did this, but for posterity's sake of other people with the same idea, adding to the checklist).
Here's a Stern coil strength chart, most to least (part, resistance in ohms, windings, wire gauge):
090-5020 3.4 900 22
090-5032 4.3 1080 22
090-5030 5.1 1100 23
090-5025 9.5 1570 24
For your vertical ramp, slo-mo it with a cell phone video and see if there's something about the ball entry that's robbing it of power.
Do this instead of changing out coils. Too-strong coils break stuff faster. Not a good idea, especially since you now have the active cooling covered to keep the performance consistent once you get it dialed in.

Reply: I went ahead installed the upgraded flipper coils and got an error on node board 8 because I didn't cut the diodes on those coils. I guess the protection diodes are located on the boards now but back in the day they needed the diodes on the coil. After cutting the diodes on both flipper coils the game booted up perfectly and played amazing but did lower both flipper power setting a bit. I actually had my best game, but once again I had flipper coil fade after 1hr of gameplay so I'll be using cooling kit for sure. I will keep everyone updated and let you guys know how things are running, thanks for all the advice and help. See pic. I cut the diode on the coil after I took the pic. I got the idea to use this upgrade coil because my Stern Godzilla pro pinball machine had it and used the similar node board as avengers Infinity. Not one plastic was harmed during gameplay and no bounce outs on ramps or wire forms.

20220114_234004 (resized).jpg20220114_234004 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#12 2 years ago

I added the upgraded coils (needed to cut coil diode) because Avengers ramp shots got too many rejects and default flipper power settings were max out. I also have the coil fans but they only make the flipper coils maintain strength not increase strength. If you get ball rejects then upgrade but it will void your warranty.
*1 month later: I have no regrets in fact pin is more enjoyable and faster. No broken plastics or electronic issues to report but did lower flipper power settings a bit.
*Note I'm a repair tech and have 10+ years experience in fixing electronics.

1 month later
#15 2 years ago

another update: upgraded flipper coils performing amazing and shots hit ramps smoothly, almost no ramp ball rejects. No broken plastics to report. I did install flipper coil fans, which helps keep the upgraded flipper coils performing at peak performance and adds life to the coils since they don't overheat anymore. I have 10+ years tech experience and still learning. I feel that originally Stern realized the coils they used were kinda weak for Avengers infinity but instead of upgrading all the coils for stronger coils they maxed out the flipper power setting, just a theory.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 8,600.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Newnan, GA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

7,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,000 (OBO)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 749.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tampa12.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-about-upgrading-stern-flipper-coil?tu=tampa12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.