Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20221018_140448 (resized).jpg
20220114_234004 (resized).jpg
20220114_165511 (resized).jpg
20220114_160845 (resized).jpg
20220114_160827 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

My son and I play Avengers infinity pin every day and after awhile we get flipper fade because flipper coils gets hotter then weaker, so we ordered cooling kit which should help. However still want faster shots and make shots up the inverted marvel ramp easier which ball REALLY struggles every time to climb even when flipper settings are maxed out and rear feet lowered. long story short we ordered 2 of Stern's strongest flipper coils for Avengers Infinity Pin which is 1 grade higher than what is installed and want to know if anyone has experience upgrading their flipper coils. You can see in the Pic my Godzilla pinball has coil 090-5020 no diode and game shoots amazing up the invert ramp. So we want that coil installed for our Avengers pin too.
see pic, my Godzilla pin has 090-5032-ND / 22-1080 coil on left and right coil is 090-5020-20-ND / 22-900 no diode.
Avengers infinity pin has 090-5032-ND / 22-1080 for both flippers and want to upgrade both flipper coils to 090-5020-20T coils but they have a diode. is wiring the new coil the same and is coil diode going to make a difference? I know diode allows voltage in one way and not the other, so i think it's protecting the coil or circuit. can I install these coils safely with diodes or should diodes be cut?
any advice is welcomed, I also have 10+ years experience fixing tech and some experience fixing Pins and changing coils.

20220114_160827 (resized).jpg20220114_160827 (resized).jpg20220114_160845 (resized).jpg20220114_160845 (resized).jpg20220114_165511 (resized).jpg20220114_165511 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago
Quoted from tampa12:

My son and I play Avengers infinity pin every day and after awhile we get flipper fade because flipper coils gets hotter then weaker, so we ordered cooling kit which should help. However still want faster shots and make shots up the inverted marvel ramp easier which ball REALLY struggles every time to climb even when flipper settings are maxed out and rear feet lowered. long story short we ordered 2 of Stern's strongest flipper coils for Avengers Infinity Pin which is 1 grade higher than what is installed and want to know if anyone has experience upgrading their flipper coils. You can see in the Pic my Godzilla pinball has coil 090-5020 no diode and game shoots amazing up the invert ramp. So we want that coil installed for our Avengers pin too.
see pic, my Godzilla pin has 090-5032-ND / 22-1080 coil on left and right coil is 090-5020-20-ND / 22-900 no diode.
Avengers infinity pin has 090-5032-ND / 22-1080 for both flippers and want to upgrade both flipper coils to 090-5020-20T coils but they have a diode. is wiring the new coil the same and is coil diode going to make a difference? I know diode allows voltage in one way and not the other, so i think it's protecting the coil or circuit. can I install these coils safely with diodes or should diodes be cut?
any advice is welcomed, I also have 10+ years experience fixing tech and some experience fixing Pins and changing coils.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

With the active cooling of the Tibetan Breeze kit you ordered, you should be good to go - it will eliminate the fade. I would not recommend changing out the coils. I would instead look at optimizing your current setup to correct the coil performance:

1. Check EOS isn't triggering before flipper is at peak (use switch test and manually move flipper slowly and note when EOS triggers - adjust if it's before the flipper is at peak)
2. Check coil stop (REMOVE it and try to move the middle - visual inspection sometimes looks good when it's not)
3. Check coil sleeve for free movement.
4. Wax the playfield with a carnuba wax like P21S. Buff with lambswool pad.
5. Check that flipper switch blades at the flipper buttons are making solid contact when the button is depressed (both levels if there are 2 flippers on a side) instead of BARELY making contact which can cause the coils to flutter power and feel weak.
6. Check coil resistance with a multimeter (ohms setting) to make sure you don't have a bad or out of spec coil robbing you of power.
7. Check power settings in system menu for coils. With active cooling, you can afford to turn this up to give more power. (you did this, but for posterity's sake of other people with the same idea, adding to the checklist).

Here's a Stern coil strength chart, most to least (part, resistance in ohms, windings, wire gauge):
090-5020 3.4 900 22
090-5032 4.3 1080 22
090-5030 5.1 1100 23
090-5025 9.5 1570 24

For your vertical ramp, slo-mo it with a cell phone video and see if there's something about the ball entry that's robbing it of power.

Do this instead of changing out coils. Too-strong coils break stuff faster. Not a good idea, especially since you now have the active cooling covered to keep the performance consistent once you get it dialed in.

#3 2 years ago

DONT DO IT

#4 2 years ago

Indeed! AIQ's game/note code was designed based around the stock flippers. Swapping out the coils for more powerful ones could blow a node or the coil.

If you want faster play, then wax your playfield. That will get the ball zooming faster than you'll ever imagine.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Indeed! AIQ's game/note code was designed based around the stock flippers. Swapping out the coils for more powerful ones could blow a node or the coil.
If you want faster play, then wax your playfield. That will get the ball zooming faster than you'll ever imagine.

I think it's very unlikely to blow a node or coil (they don't customize node boards per machine, and this node is in other machines with bigger coils), but it CAN break stuff on your playfield with stronger shots than it was designed to handle.

Wax is a great suggestion I forgot. Too obvious. D'oh.

#6 2 years ago

I think it is generally ill-advised to deviate from OEM specs in most situations (I assume the professionals who designed the circuit are smarter than I, a marginally capable hobbyist).

The original coils were carefully selected in order to achieve the gameplay desired by the designer, and as PinMonk stated when you go in and simply dial everything up to “11” you’ll put unnecessary strain on a variety of parts and things will start breaking prematurely, and you can also conceivably screw up other aspects of gameplay in ways you might not be able to anticipate.

If the flipper as originally specified isn’t performing adequately, the first thing to do is to check everything PinMonk suggested, and given your pattern of playing definitely consider adding forced cooling. You also might consider simply doing a full flipper rebuild; your game is old enough that there is probably sufficient overall wear to reduce performance, and replacing all the consumable parts en masse (cheap and not difficult) will yield a noticeable improvement that will almost definitely feel like an “upgrade”.

#7 2 years ago

Just wanted to amen PinMonk post, especially the EOS switch adjustment. You can get a lot of extra oomph by getting those right.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

With the active cooling of the Tibetan Breeze kit you ordered, you should be good to go - it will eliminate the fade. I would not recommend changing out the coils. I would instead look at optimizing your current setup to correct the coil performance:
1. Check EOS isn't triggering before flipper is at peak (use switch test and manually move flipper slowly and note when EOS triggers - adjust if it's before the flipper is at peak)
2. Check coil stop (REMOVE it and try to move the middle - visual inspection sometimes looks good when it's not)
3. Check coil sleeve for free movement.
4. Wax the playfield with a carnuba wax like P21S. Buff with lambswool pad.
5. Check that flipper switch blades at the flipper buttons are making solid contact when the button is depressed (both levels if there are 2 flippers on a side) instead of BARELY making contact which can cause the coils to flutter power and feel weak.
6. Check coil resistance with a multimeter (ohms setting) to make sure you don't have a bad or out of spec coil robbing you of power.
7. Check power settings in system menu for coils. With active cooling, you can afford to turn this up to give more power. (you did this, but for posterity's sake of other people with the same idea, adding to the checklist).
Here's a Stern coil strength chart, most to least (part, resistance in ohms, windings, wire gauge):
090-5020 3.4 900 22
090-5032 4.3 1080 22
090-5030 5.1 1100 23
090-5025 9.5 1570 24
For your vertical ramp, slo-mo it with a cell phone video and see if there's something about the ball entry that's robbing it of power.
Do this instead of changing out coils. Too-strong coils break stuff faster. Not a good idea, especially since you now have the active cooling covered to keep the performance consistent once you get it dialed in.

Reply: I went ahead installed the upgraded flipper coils and got an error on node board 8 because I didn't cut the diodes on those coils. I guess the protection diodes are located on the boards now but back in the day they needed the diodes on the coil. After cutting the diodes on both flipper coils the game booted up perfectly and played amazing but did lower both flipper power setting a bit. I actually had my best game, but once again I had flipper coil fade after 1hr of gameplay so I'll be using cooling kit for sure. I will keep everyone updated and let you guys know how things are running, thanks for all the advice and help. See pic. I cut the diode on the coil after I took the pic. I got the idea to use this upgrade coil because my Stern Godzilla pro pinball machine had it and used the similar node board as avengers Infinity. Not one plastic was harmed during gameplay and no bounce outs on ramps or wire forms.

20220114_234004 (resized).jpg20220114_234004 (resized).jpg
#9 2 years ago
Quoted from tampa12:

Not one plastic was harmed during gameplay and no bounce outs on ramps or wire forms. [quoted image]

The damage to playfield components from too-strong coils doesn't happen immediately, but over time. If you turned the power down, that's good, but using the stock coils and doing the stuff on the list probably would have achieved the same result with less wear and tear on the machine over time.

But it's your machine for YOUR amusement to do with as you wish.

#10 2 years ago

Makes post asking should I do this? Dozens say NO! Next post, I did it!

#11 2 years ago

I agree with him---it's not a problem --just have to cut diodes. That being said I have the cooling fans and keep it waxed and it's good. I can see the advantage of changing coils though--the shots are are all at the back of the game. Also the CM shot would be more consistent. May try eventually.

1 month later
#12 2 years ago

I added the upgraded coils (needed to cut coil diode) because Avengers ramp shots got too many rejects and default flipper power settings were max out. I also have the coil fans but they only make the flipper coils maintain strength not increase strength. If you get ball rejects then upgrade but it will void your warranty.
*1 month later: I have no regrets in fact pin is more enjoyable and faster. No broken plastics or electronic issues to report but did lower flipper power settings a bit.
*Note I'm a repair tech and have 10+ years experience in fixing electronics.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from tampa12:

I added the upgraded coils (needed to cut coil diode) because Avengers ramp shots got too many rejects and default flipper power settings were max out. I also have the coil fans but they only make the flipper coils maintain strength not increase strength. If you get ball rejects then upgrade but it will void your warranty.
*1 month later: I have no regrets in fact pin is more enjoyable and faster. No broken plastics or electronic issues to report but did lower flipper power settings a bit.
*Note I'm a repair tech and have 10+ years experience in fixing electronics.

Are you Tempa Tec on YouTube? Enjoy your vids

#14 2 years ago

Your game, your rules

Although it is worth noting by using a stronger coil, ie one with a lower resistance, it will heat up faster and more quickly fade than the stock coil. So the active cooling is definitely a must with the stronger coil. (I wonder how long till people start to liquid cool their coils. Only half joking)

1 month later
#15 2 years ago

another update: upgraded flipper coils performing amazing and shots hit ramps smoothly, almost no ramp ball rejects. No broken plastics to report. I did install flipper coil fans, which helps keep the upgraded flipper coils performing at peak performance and adds life to the coils since they don't overheat anymore. I have 10+ years tech experience and still learning. I feel that originally Stern realized the coils they used were kinda weak for Avengers infinity but instead of upgrading all the coils for stronger coils they maxed out the flipper power setting, just a theory.

6 months later
#16 1 year ago

lately my upper left flipper seems to have no strength to go up the loop and the right ramp....has this happened to anyone else? how can it be solved? I already uploaded the force to the maximum in the menu but it seems that it does not solve anything... greetings....

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

lately my upper left flipper seems to have no strength to go up the loop and the right ramp....has this happened to anyone else? how can it be solved? I already uploaded the force to the maximum in the menu but it seems that it does not solve anything... greetings....

Replace the coil stop. Stern's coil stops are so cheaply made that then can easily deform.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Vuelva a colocar el tope de la bobina. Los topes de bobina de Stern son tan baratos que pueden deformarse fácilmente.

Yes....this IS the problem...

IMG_20221018_140448 (resized).jpgIMG_20221018_140448 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#19 1 year ago
Quoted from tampa12:

another update: upgraded flipper coils performing amazing and shots hit ramps smoothly, almost no ramp ball rejects. No broken plastics to report. I did install flipper coil fans, which helps keep the upgraded flipper coils performing at peak performance and adds life to the coils since they don't overheat anymore. I have 10+ years tech experience and still learning. I feel that originally Stern realized the coils they used were kinda weak for Avengers infinity but instead of upgrading all the coils for stronger coils they maxed out the flipper power setting, just a theory.

How are things doing now, 11 months later?

I bought a Godzilla Premium NIB and from the start I felt the flippers are weak (right from the start, before coils get hot so not flipper fade). Done most of the steps on Pinmonks list without result. I hade a TMNT Pro before and the flippers were so snappy and nice, really miss that. I find your solution very appealing as it makes sense that it´s all about the coils. (I also have a weird feeling that Stern Pro´s have more snappy flippers than the Premiums.)

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from JayLar:

How are things doing now, 11 months later?
I bought a Godzilla Premium NIB and from the start I felt the flippers are weak (right from the start, before coils get hot so not flipper fade). Done most of the steps on Pinmonks list without result. I hade a TMNT Pro before and the flippers were so snappy and nice, really miss that. I find your solution very appealing as it makes sense that it´s all about the coils. (I also have a weird feeling that Stern Pro´s have more snappy flippers than the Premiums.)

Godzilla uses a mix of coil strengths, where TMNT uses the same coil size for both flippers. That may be where your perception of comparative weakness is coming from. It's also good to check the resistance of your coils when they're dead cold to make sure you don't have a defective coil for the strong one on GZ and the weaker stock coil on for the other side, giving you the perception of two weak coils.

Also, look carefully at your flipper switches inside the cabinet by the button. If that contact point (looks like a dot on the end of the switch blades) is uneven, it won't make good contact (poor/not full surface area), even if the blades are close enough for it to touch properly, and will make the flippers feel weak.

#21 1 year ago

Thanks for the tip Pinmonk! Just out of curiosity, why are there different coils in Pro vs Premium? And what do the diods do?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from JayLar:

Thanks for the tip Pinmonk! Just out of curiosity, why are there different coils in Pro vs Premium? And what do the diods do?

I'm not aware of flipper coil differences in Pro and Premium trim levels, just differences between actual different machine models (i.e. GZ to AIQ, Maiden to RUSH). It's up to the designer which coils he feels the machine needs.

The diode (either physically one the coil or on the board that drives the coil) is just to make sure that current only flows TO the coil and doesn't surge back up the line and damage the components it's connected to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coopersburg, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Side Gig Studios

$ 65.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.50
Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advice-about-upgrading-stern-flipper-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.