0Doodle-Bug-Work-04 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170709_152621286 (resized).jpg
14996282168011072568451 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170709_151628233 (resized).jpg
0Doodle-Bug-Work-03 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170709_132528204 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170709_114841716 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hey guys . I attached a picture of the problem I'm having . That light is supposed to advance when certain bumpers and things are hit . It just stays lit and doesn't advance or change . All the bumpers are working and everything else on the game works as it should. Problem just started yesterday and I can't figure out why. It's a Williams Doodlebug . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

IMG_20170709_114841716 (resized).jpgIMG_20170709_114841716 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Fingers on a stepper unit dirty? Or the contacts themselves (rivots)

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Fingers on a stepper unit dirty? Or the contacts themselves (rivots)

Sorry . I'm very new to this . If possible can you dumb it down a tad more lol

#4 6 years ago

Under the playfield or in the bottom of the pin you will see a square pc board with small copper rivots that the switches travel on. Ususally with one or two coils.

#5 6 years ago

Post #952 in Nics pinball tour. There is a picture of one.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Post #952 in Nics pinball tour. There is a picture of one.

This thing here ?

IMG_20170709_132528204 (resized).jpgIMG_20170709_132528204 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Yes similair to that and the contact are on the other side of it.

#8 6 years ago

Hi Justmc16 +
jedi42 had a completely different problem - he started this topic: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-power-to-doodle-bug-playfield --- in his post-11 he writes "have submitted the paginated schematics to ipdb.org" --- this was more than 60 days ago. It takes time for ipdb.org to handle the incoming stuff ...

When You make an "righthand-side mouse-click on that PDF in post-11 - then choose "save target as": You can make Yourself an copy of this 6-page document. It is tricky to move around in that PDF / Copy ...
So I made JPGs and put together the pages into one continuous schematics (in the form of an JPG and also PDF) I can send You a copy of my work --- range 2.5 MB to 6 MB data - when You send me an personal message with an E-Mail-Address in Your message.

To Your problem - the "not advancing" - it is NOT the unit shown in Your post-6 --- see my JPG --- the stepping is done by the so-called "Number-Match-Unit". ipdb.org has an manual to the 4-Player-Version of the pin (Dipsy Doodle) here http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/683/Williams_1970_Dipsy_Doodle_Instruction_Manual.pdf and on page-8 (ori-6) I can read: "Match Unit (Step-Up-Coil) is mounted on the Insert means in the Backbox --- here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=703&picno=48479 to the right of the Replay-Counter --- in Your pin: Is there a paper tag TELLING "No. Match Unit" ?
Let a friend play and YOU watch this Unit in the Backbox --- question: Does this Unit ever steps ? Greetings Rolf

0Doodle-Bug-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Doodle-Bug-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Thank you for the thorough info rolf .now I'm starting to understanf some things. I've attached two photos that match your description of the match unit . The one tagged match unit had not been moving stuff all while be played. The gear never turns . Doesn't make a sound at all. Is this the source of the problem it is that normal

IMG_20170709_151628233 (resized).jpgIMG_20170709_151628233 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

Also rolf_martin_062 this one is also lables number match

14996282168011072568451 (resized).jpg14996282168011072568451 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

Looks like it's also missing a piece or a bell on that same unit

IMG_20170709_152621286 (resized).jpgIMG_20170709_152621286 (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

Hi Justmc16
in post-3 You +/- write "am a newbie" --- no problem - we do troubleshoot in small steps.
DANGER - electricity can kill You --- whenever You work in the pin or just look into the pin: HAVE the main power cord unpluggrd. ONLY plug-in (and start a game) when You need electricity for a test.

Have the main power cord unplugged - look at Your transformer - look at http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=703&picno=41663&zoom=1 --- dominant the two yellowish-muddy-brownish wires called wire Yellow (this is the return side (common) to the transformer). Clip-on an Jumper-Wire at this transformer-lug "Yellow" and take the other end of the Jumper-Wire through the open Coin-Door out into the open --- the free end of the Jumper-Wire shall not touch metal.
Take an second Jumper-Wire --- look at the Coil on Your Number Match Unit --- one side has two wires of color-red soldered-on --- the other side has one wire of color-orange-red soldered-on. Do NOT proceed when You are not 100% sure You actually see wire-of-color-orange-yellow !!!

Clip-on the second Jumper-Wire at solder-lug orange-yellow and take the other end of the Jumper-wire out into the open --- NEAR the first Jumper-Wire --- NOT touching metal.

Plug-in the main power cord - start a game - when You can play: NOW grab the two Jumper-Wires at "insulation" - then tip together the free ends and pull apart --- big question: Does the Coil on the Number-Match-Unit fire and (hopefully) the Unit makes a step ? Write about.

Your picture in post-12 shows an Adjustment-Switch --- let it "as is".
We will come to "post-13, Bell".

I live in Switzerland (south of Germany) --- we are ahead in time to the USA about 8 to 10 hours. This might be the last post I write "today" - greetings Rolf

0Doodle-Bug-Work-04 (resized).jpg0Doodle-Bug-Work-04 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Ok . Thank you very much . I'll report back what happens

#16 6 years ago

Having a hard time finding the yellowish brown wire you mentioned at the transformer .here is a picture of what I'm looking at

14996417509321108069968 (resized).jpg14996417509321108069968 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

Hi Justmc16
its good when You ask when You are not 100% sure about a thing.
I have taken Your picture and added some colored lines ending at the solder-lugs on Your transformer. Also look at the top of the JPG in post-14.
"My green line points to solder-lug 'wire-color-G-Y-W-Green-Yellow-White' - this is POWER-Side of the 6VAC-Lamp-Circuitry"
"My orange dot sits on the solder-lug 'Yellow' having soldered-on two wires of muddy-light-brownish-yellowish color - this is Return-Side (+/- incoming side) for BOTH circuitrys - for the 6VAC as well as for the 24VAC circuitrys - we always refer to the wire calling it wire-yellow"
"My black line points to solder-lug 'wire-color-B-Y-W-Black-Yellow-White' - this is 24VAC?*** POWER-SIDE of the relays and stepper circuitry"
"My grey line points to solder-lug 'no-color-mentioned - has text 'Low Line Voltage Tap' - this is the 26VAC?*** POWER-SIDE of the relays and stepper circuitry"

24VAC?*** and 26VAC?*** POWER: We call these two lugs "Low-Tap" and "High-Tap" --- and the manufacturer uses the word "Normal Tap" or avoids using a word (implying 'Normal') --- confusing --- maybe Your wire / my grey line is 'High Tap" - maybe it is "Low Tap" - well, whatever -
let the wiring in Your pin "as is" --- clip-on the Jumper-Wire at "my orange dot" - the solder-lug-Yellow on the transformer.

Do NEVER TOUCH the solder-lug "my green line points to"
Do NEVER TOUCH the solder-lug "my black line points to"
Do NEVER TOUCH the solder-lug "my grey line points to"
as these are POWER solder-lugs --- NEVER, never touch.
Greetings Rolf

0Doodle-Bug-pinside-pic (resized).jpg0Doodle-Bug-pinside-pic (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

I got curious and manually activated the coil on the match unit ,it moved the light but still would not do it on it's own
.I'm getting ready to test it with the jumper wires using your diagram.

#19 6 years ago

Tried the test and the coil did not respond . Pulled matching coil out of williams hockey and wired it in. Worked perfectly .Thank you for all of your help rolf . I learned Alot from the I fo and direction you provided .I greatly appreciate it .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advancebonus-lights-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.