Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Budman
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190224_075948 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1785 (resized).JPG
    7A24F863-F91B-481B-AA06-D79C1EBB1CB6 (resized).png
    IMG_4536 (resized).JPG
    D1941D27-8329-4608-85D9-019360F3B0D0 (resized).png
    FB_IMG_1549602058378 (resized).jpg
    6F50BDF5-07B2-4A7E-A28D-3258D15B3890 (resized).jpeg
    885DAE06-9507-470F-ACD8-6D4763650E24 (resized).jpeg
    20181224_111223 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0888 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0881 (resized).JPG
    CB1E3616-40C2-4ABD-88DB-20E7A831847A (resized).png
    6AC055CD-B262-4D56-8F41-EDB7AF138224 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7676 (resized).JPG
    7851609 (resized).jpg
    thermostat (resized).png
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Ever have to buy something, say for your house or whatever, and just think "Oh, the pinball machines I could have bought with that money"?

I had that today. We had to replace the front entry door in our house. The 18 year old builder grade door had it, an we wanted something that was energy efficient and looked nice. While I am happy with the final product, I just keep thinking that I would enjoy a new machine more. LOL. Oh well. This is the cost of home ownership and being an adult I guess. At least it looks nice, and the wife is happy . Maybe a new machine will be next!

Before:

door before (resized).jpgdoor before (resized).jpg

After:

dor before 2 (resized).jpgdor before 2 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Yep... my two kids will finish college debt free. That expense adds up to one heck of a pinball collection

#3 5 years ago

Looks nice! Builder grade doors (and poor installation) are a joke. We upgraded ours recently despite this being a new house. 2 "Pro" installers took 9 hours to install these. New home builders likely slap the doors up in 30-60 minutes (and it shows). Also changed the door orientation from in-swing to out-swing (safer in a hurricane).

Here is our "before/after". The new doors are 2 1/4" thick Bolivian Mahogany with Impact Resistant glass. Each door weighs as much as a pinball machine

IMG_0535 (resized).jpegIMG_0535 (resized).jpegIMG_0624 (resized).jpegIMG_0624 (resized).jpeg
    #4 5 years ago

I sold 6 games to help buy our house. Then put 70k into a renovation. I’ll be living with one pin for a while, but I already know what my next 2 games will be. AFM original and TSPP

We also did new exterior doors and windows. It really nice not feeling a cold winter breeze come in through the old cracks, the doors and windows were original to the house; built in 1956

#5 5 years ago

Had to sell 12 games, plus other stuff to refinish house....Today is the Last day! Now the Last Bill.....Looks like more stuff to sell......
    Should have a Munsters and IMDN Instead.

#6 5 years ago

Screw upkeep, keep the games coming!!

Pinball in a Hut (resized).jpgPinball in a Hut (resized).jpg

Disclaimer: Not my picture, I pulled it from the interweb.

Also those doors look fantastic.

#7 5 years ago

Just bought this, moving in tomorrow. Although now there is more room for pins and adding an AC/DC Prem next week.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rody:

Yep... my two kids will finish college debt free. That expense adds up to one heck of a pinball collection

Yeah 1st kid is finally finished after 5 yrs and I just started with my second. 4 more years to go! The doors look great and more important is the wife is happy.

#9 5 years ago

I just had enough money to buy a Taxi that I've had my eyes on for a bit but then our pipes froze and caused extensive damage. Now my taxi pinball funds are going to new flooring and other upgrades that we are doing.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I had that today. We had to replace the front entry door in our house

Looks really nice, and more secure with the wider door frame.

#11 5 years ago

Just dropped a bunch of money on a screened in porch. Don’t regret it and the wife loves it. Next up is the basement. I figure I’ll eventually get the things I want just can’t have it all right now.

6A46BEC5-4DA3-49AC-903C-A15E2F05078F (resized).jpeg6A46BEC5-4DA3-49AC-903C-A15E2F05078F (resized).jpeg736438A9-6339-4114-A324-2E52A9745770 (resized).jpeg736438A9-6339-4114-A324-2E52A9745770 (resized).jpeg
    #12 5 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Also changed the door orientation from in-swing to out-swing (safer in a hurricane).

Hurricane? I thought California was the land of earthquakes, Santa Anna winds and mudslides.

Nice looking doors.

#13 5 years ago

Just had a plumbing issue and had to replace my water softening system. Shed tears of pin money falling through my fingers.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from PokerJake:

Just bought this, moving in tomorrow. Although now there is more room for pins and adding an AC/DC Prem next week.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sweet. I need a house in MN that doesn't come with snow/ice in the front yard.

Congrats on the new home!

#15 5 years ago

That must be a pinhead thing - relate all expenses to cost of pins. Home ownership is full of that. Just when you think you have a little spending money that's when the house needs something. The college thing has me scared. I've been saving for years and probably never going to be enough with triplets. That's going to be a lot of pins. Love to fix up the house some but doesn't really need it. I do need more pins, though.

#16 5 years ago

Looks good!

#17 5 years ago

I always knew I was too much of a kid myself to ever justify having any of my own. . . or I was just selfish.
    To be honest I don't know how you parents manage time, money, and sanity the way you do -- I have a lot of respect for all of you!

That being said a new roof, siding, porch, etc. are all expenses that have come with home ownership and can really take a bite out of savings. I cant complain though. . . I enjoy being able to take a leak in the backyard and not have to worry about the neighbors seeing me.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

Just dropped a bunch of money on a screened in porch. Don’t regret it and the wife loves it. Next up is the basement. I figure I’ll eventually get the things I want just can’t have it all right now.

That's great. I have a porch on my home just like this one and it is awesome. I'm glad I did not have to build it, that's for certain.

#19 5 years ago

I actually went the other way around and sold off a huge bally/williams/A-list collection. First to buy a Porsche which was a complete waste. Don't even think about it. Then I bought condo down in Cape May, NJ which was best decision ever for my family. 30 pins eventually turned into 6. Now, the condo is hitting owners up for a huge assessment. Siding, roof, windows, sliders, stone work, .... So i sold off another two pins and I am left with four. Kids never want to see the restored MB leave and I am keeping my huo Tron LE forever. If i didn't have so much into a MM restore, it would've been gone too. Hard to take a 10 g offer when i have >13 g into it. i do have a GotG LE if anyone is interested.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from PokerJake:

We are looking also here in Denver. I had to sell off 15 games to pay off my place so I could be in the financial position to look for a new place. Miss a few of those games. TZ, NGG, TOTAN ect... I did pick up a couple since then, but I have had to restrain myself these last few months!

#21 5 years ago

I'm lucky I built up my collection before I had kids. I haven't put any "new" money into the hobby since my son was born over 5 years ago. Maybe once my third kid is out of daycare (he's due this April) I'll have new funds to put towards expanding my collection but for now I'm happy just to enjoy what I have.

#22 5 years ago

I had to grow up the other day and bring this home.

82377D19-BB6B-4A2D-A439-DE04A72D1D4F (resized).jpeg82377D19-BB6B-4A2D-A439-DE04A72D1D4F (resized).jpeg
    #23 5 years ago

New AC system and roof was a kick in the pants last summer

#24 5 years ago

I essentially had to sell my entire collection to buy my first house. Just now entering the rebuilding stage. Hopefully will pick up another cheap one soon and then something nice at Allentown Pinfest.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

Just dropped a bunch of money on a screened in porch. Don’t regret it and the wife loves it. Next up is the basement. I figure I’ll eventually get the things I want just can’t have it all right now.[quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful porch! Enjoy!

#26 5 years ago

I have delayed my pin purchases to buy this view here in Nap town. Absolutely the right thing for my family, but right now my focus is on rehabbing the house and property and getting it set before I buy any more pins. We got the house for a good price, but it has needed much more work than we realized. Already have built an extension, new roof, new HVAC, siding, windows, and the entire second floor, and getting ready to start the first floor and kitchen. As part of it, had to get a new door, which are more expensive than one would think. Yesterday, they dropped off 58 boxes of hardwood flooring (3100 pounds) that I am in the process of humping into the basement now. I might be done by the time Jaws comes out

IMG_0902 (resized).jpgIMG_0902 (resized).jpgIMG_0903 (resized).jpgIMG_0903 (resized).jpgIMG_0904 (resized).jpgIMG_0904 (resized).jpg
    #27 5 years ago

25K on a new sewer line recently. Talk about money down the shitter. At least you get to see your new front doors.

#28 5 years ago

Wedding Ring was the first

Yeah been pricing out new front doors and wow, that was unexpected.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I had to grow up the other day and bring this home. [quoted image]

Aircooled VWs are my first hobby/love. You have a beautiful example there.... 67? I have the same Randar rims on my 67. Such a great look.

I sold 5 pins last year and built a 24×36 "shed" for my aircooled collection and boat.

We just put NIB Stern Pro money into my oldest sons mouth for braces...

Adulting is harder than making pinball machines...

#30 5 years ago

Tuition, tuition, tuition.

Also just dropped 3k for daughter's wisdom teeth removal - insurance was useless.

Long term leak in bathroom upstairs that broke through to the downstairs bathroom. Forced a gut and redo of upstairs bath - already at 15k cost there.

Daughter is having ankle surgery in a few months and already have been told that will be about 8k out of pocket again ins is useless for me being a small business owner.

So yeah adulting sucks!

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

25K on a new sewer line recently. Talk about money down the shitter. At least you get to see your new front doors.

25k is worth it to not see sh/t backing up in your house

#32 5 years ago

I HAVE to get my bathrooms redone sooner than later. On the other hand, I also HAVE to have a JJP POTC.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I HAVE to get my bathrooms redone sooner than later. On the other hand, I also HAVE to have a JJP POTC.

Two of my bathrooms also need upgrading, and I even upgraded one of them a few years ago. Just didn’t go all out.

What the hell, they can wait. I spend more time in the gameroom.

#34 5 years ago

Just went through this a couple weeks ago...I held off on buying/selling so that we could get it done.

20190120_193748 (resized).jpg20190120_193748 (resized).jpg20190123_152219 (resized).jpg20190123_152219 (resized).jpg
    #35 5 years ago

Ever have to buy something, say for your house or whatever, and just think "Oh, the pinball machines I could have bought with that money"?
    I had that today. We had to replace the front entry door in our house. The 18 year old builder grade door had it, an we wanted something that was energy efficient and looked nice. While I am happy with the final product, I just keep thinking that I would enjoy a new machine more. LOL. Oh well. This is the cost of home ownership and being an adult I guess. At least it looks nice, and the wife is happy . Maybe a new machine will be next!
    Before:
    [quoted image]
    After:
    [quoted image]

Can I ask what it cost, parts and labor? I have a similar front door to replace that I've been putting off...

#36 5 years ago

Added another dock to existing one last year. This year is the two new hoists and steel structure with steel roof. I will not be buying another pin for a few years.
    I do a lot of work myself but leave the steel structures for the professionals!!
    This pic is from the basement fix i had to do on the oldest part of my home. House was built in 1934 and started off as a cottage on the lake.
    5 5lb buckets of hydraulic cement
    13 bags of mortar mix
    5 bags of quick wall quikrete
    too many back breaking hrs of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#37 5 years ago
    3FBA0688-CBB5-4582-A0FB-60065030C60D (resized).png3FBA0688-CBB5-4582-A0FB-60065030C60D (resized).pngCE32B071-84CD-4D1D-9DC4-BCB3F971AC0D (resized).pngCE32B071-84CD-4D1D-9DC4-BCB3F971AC0D (resized).pngD54BAB24-8756-4264-BE10-E1A17EDF7949 (resized).pngD54BAB24-8756-4264-BE10-E1A17EDF7949 (resized).png98C1C0DB-E975-4EAD-AAD4-98C6917A18AD (resized).jpeg98C1C0DB-E975-4EAD-AAD4-98C6917A18AD (resized).jpeg
    #38 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I had to grow up the other day and bring this home. [quoted image]

Nice Vee Dub.

It is amazing how expensive those cheap little bastards are getting. cheap = low original sales price. They were built tight.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Nice Vee Dub.
    It is amazing how expensive those cheap little bastards are getting. cheap = low original sales price. They were built tight.

At least the cars are affordable. The type 2s from that era are approaching house pricing.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

At least the cars are affordable. The type 2s from that era are approaching house pricing.

In 1970, I had a micro-bus with the canvas moon roof and all of the little windows. I was a dumb, broke, and poor kid. That bus had problems. I threw in the towel, placed responsibly on my dad to unload the thing and I joined the Navy My did sold it for the princely sum of $400.00.

Now they are worth more than my small house in the mid-west.

#41 5 years ago

Is it time to start a Pinside classic VW club?

ghai b (resized).jpgghai b (resized).jpg
    #42 5 years ago

I've had a 10 vw bugs 1954-1967. They're all gone, but Iv'e got the "bug" to get another

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Is it time to start a Pinside classic VW club?
    [quoted image]

That's perrrty...
    Even though VW isn't my thing. I much prefer classic BMWs.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

That's perrrty...
    Even though VW isn't my thing. I much prefer classic BMWs.

Ooo... Mr. Fancy with his power steering and power brakes... lol

You havent experienced driving until you get behind a tractor trailer on the freeway in a Beetle.

#45 5 years ago

I sold a pinball because we had no room for my daughter's bed, a very painful first step into adulting sucks !

ps : She never used that bed and once she was ready to sleep in her own bed, we moved to a bigger house...

#46 5 years ago

I was just bs’ing about buying that, thought it would be a funny un-adult post. Just something I drooled over that was for sale the other day (fully restored, paint, int., eng/trans, chrome... $12k) but the adult in me said no. Here’s more pics since you guys like it.

Ps only vw’s ive owed were several jettas and an infamous tdi buyback Passat.

0482DB8F-EAAD-45C8-8B59-8DDB0DEFA8F7 (resized).jpeg0482DB8F-EAAD-45C8-8B59-8DDB0DEFA8F7 (resized).jpeg619F7E3D-273E-4D3F-AF91-5F9FE1AF02A6 (resized).jpeg619F7E3D-273E-4D3F-AF91-5F9FE1AF02A6 (resized).jpegAC3ECDAD-8237-4DFB-B507-8F1981BA1B1D (resized).jpegAC3ECDAD-8237-4DFB-B507-8F1981BA1B1D (resized).jpeg18A3137F-28F5-4ABE-BE0A-35D58E2089FA (resized).jpeg18A3137F-28F5-4ABE-BE0A-35D58E2089FA (resized).jpeg

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:Is it time to start a Pinside classic VW club?

My "first", my current and my ultimate dream pin hauler! What I would do with 40K instead of pins.

This topic is going off the rails!
    Sorry OP

017 (resized).JPG017 (resized).JPGType 2 T (resized).jpgType 2 T (resized).jpggli front (resized).jpggli front (resized).jpggli rear (resized).jpggli rear (resized).jpggli side (resized).jpggli side (resized).jpg
    #48 5 years ago

I spent $20 playing some nice pins on location for about 4 hours recently . Lots of new titles some clasics evan the beatles seemed to help fill the void for now when i have 3 kids in college this year

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

This topic is going off the rails!

You mean he got his doors blown off ?

#50 5 years ago

...We had to replace the front entry door in our house....I just keep thinking that I would enjoy a new machine more. LOL. Oh well...
    Before:
    [quoted image]
    After:
    [quoted image]

You could have used a flipper for a door knob, might have made you feel a little better.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adulting-sucks-orwhat-i-bought-instead-of-more-games?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.