(Topic ID: 276824)

Adjusts reset

By Bartsman

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6674e10f612898bc89adce48709f0ba0224fee8d (resized).jpg
    C85A8A88-AA09-4AFE-A6D3-3843FA3A756F (resized).jpeg
    B4653F23-72C2-4382-9ACC-C5D6CF90C96F (resized).jpeg
    AC3A4DA1-7002-4E5A-ADB5-FD678419F087 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

I bought a rottendog MPU followed the instructions moving socketed chips over and moving jumper from j5 to J4 it’s a resister. The stock board had a straight jumper. The game is a data east Monday night football and lights up and reads ‘adjusts reset’. I cannot get it to go beyond this?

#2 3 years ago

Did you go into the adjustment menu? You have to go all the way through it and let it reset after that before you cycle power on the game.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you go into the adjustment menu? You have to go all the way through it and let it reset after that before you cycle power on the game.

I get no response from the buttons inside the coin door. Is that what you mean by adjust menu? This board did not come with a place to put 3 batteries?

#4 3 years ago

You may have some wiring swapped for the coin door vs. ground wires at the bottom left side of the MPU, if it is the same connectors as on the original board. Can you post a picture of the board with the wiring connected?

The adjustment menu would be up on the display. You use the buttons to control in and out of the adjustment menu/test menu.

#5 3 years ago

You may have some wiring swapped for the coin door vs. ground wires at the bottom left side of the MPU, if it is the same connectors as on the original board. Can you post a picture of the board with the wiring connected?
    The adjustment menu would be up on the display. You use the buttons to control in and out of the adjustment menu/test menu.

Could a bent leg on a swapped chip cause this? Curious myself.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Only things moving over are sound/game ROM and possibly CPU chips. If any are installed wrong, the game will not boot.

#7 3 years ago

Only things moving over are sound/game ROM and possibly CPU chips. If any are installed wrong, the game will not boot.

Thanks!

#8 3 years ago

Yep! check wiring and connectors indeed....
    Only other thing that's sprung to mind besides an open ground or signal wire from the door, that could cause a hang at the adjust menu, is power supply rails to chips dropping off as circuits boot and draw more, so failing loom/connector issues I'd check the legs and sockets of anything transferred are making clean contact despite how they look.... just in case, but MR Maniac is right, they're pretty fussy and usually it wouldn't get that far.
    the backup battery difference bugs me. A pic of both boards would be ideal.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Yes! I did have those 2 bottom left connectors reversed. It now boots up but reads ball missing?

#10 3 years ago

Thank You! I had taken a picture before swapping boards and I did have those two bottom connectors reversed. I now can’t get the balls to jump over into trough and reads ball missing when start is pressed?

#11 3 years ago

nv ram version you have there... no batteries required... should also have come with full schematics?
    one connector has less pins but aside all should be in same place.
    bad connection issue still?
    no chance you had play field up and knocked/bent any switches in trough area?

#12 3 years ago

quote "connector CN3 on new MPU only has 9 pins while your game’s connector may have up to 12 pins. extra pins (10-12) on your game’s connector are not used. Install the connector housing so that the key at pin 6 matches the cut key.... just a thought... haven't gotten as far as CN3 on schematics yet

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bartsman:

I now can’t get the balls to jump over into trough and reads ball missing when start is pressed?

Did you blow a fuse on the power supply for the coil power? Test all the fuses on the power supply with a meter. I don't recall which one it is. Manual should show what fuse it is. Not sure, but there is at least one fuse under the playfield, but may not be related to the outhole coil.

#14 3 years ago

also double check dip switches DS1, incorrect setting for game can cause certain solenoids to not work... trying to find where I filed the settings....

flippers and bumpers working? that's a sign if not.

#15 3 years ago

cant find em but I think its 1-4 towards blank LED, 5-8 upwards ditrection..... take photo of how they are first, Ive made that mistake before...

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hul1gn:

cant find em but I think its 1-4 towards blank LED, 5-8 upwards ditrection..... take photo of how they are first, Ive made that mistake before...

It is a good point because the board is labeled differently which is on and off compared to how the dipswitches are installed on the board.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hul1gn:

also double check dip switches DS1, incorrect setting for game can cause certain solenoids to not work... trying to find where I filed the settings....
    flippers and bumpers working? that's a sign if not.

AC3A4DA1-7002-4E5A-ADB5-FD678419F087 (resized).jpegAC3A4DA1-7002-4E5A-ADB5-FD678419F087 (resized).jpegB4653F23-72C2-4382-9ACC-C5D6CF90C96F (resized).jpegB4653F23-72C2-4382-9ACC-C5D6CF90C96F (resized).jpegC85A8A88-AA09-4AFE-A6D3-3843FA3A756F (resized).jpegC85A8A88-AA09-4AFE-A6D3-3843FA3A756F (resized).jpeg
    #18 3 years ago

DS1 looks fine to me , If that's how it was then were going elsewhere.... think Maniac is onto something with a missing power rail....

#19 3 years ago

try this... If two game PROM chips are used at position 5B and 5C, jumper J4 must be installed and jumper J5 must be removed.
    If a single game PROM chip is used at position 5C, jumper J5 must be installed and jumper J4 must be removed.
    Remove jumpers J5B and J6B at location D8.
    Install jumpers J5A and J6A at B7 and D7.
    Add 3 pins to CN3 (top-right of board).
    Remove the EPROM from the socket at position B5 (if any).

#20 3 years ago

ignore the 3 pins on CN3 as thats display related.... try those one at a time, reverting any ineffective changes before proceeding. there may be discrepancies between rev2 and 3 of the mpu so some stuff may be wrong in that list. basically its doing a ball search when it shouldn't be so wont initialise a game. I recon one of those jumpers is incorrect or there's a voltage missing somewhere.
    not ruling out a faulty mpu of course but I know you don't want to think about that

#21 3 years ago

this should clarify...

6674e10f612898bc89adce48709f0ba0224fee8d (resized).jpg6674e10f612898bc89adce48709f0ba0224fee8d (resized).jpg
    #22 3 years ago

so my previous settings were off a bit

#23 3 years ago

Did you blow a fuse on the power supply for the coil power? Test all the fuses on the power supply with a meter. I don't recall which one it is. Manual should show what fuse it is. Not sure, but there is at least one fuse under the playfield, but may not be related to the outhole coil.

All fuses check out and there was one under play field between flipper coils.

#24 3 years ago

nothing wrong with any trough rollover switches etc? could be fluke simultaneous issue and common on those, I'm sure Iv'e had this same issue with a GnR machine, same exact setup, just cant remember what it was!

#25 3 years ago

Id go into diagnostic mode and start testing switches and solenoids in that area, might see a pattern or group that play up leading to the culprit

#26 3 years ago

That’s a good idea. I’m going to bed. Thanks for all your help.

#27 3 years ago

check Q54 it may be fried, it runs the trough, also all coil diodes in that circuit, they usually cause it to go.
    good night, hope you have better luck with her in the morning....

3 months later
    #28 3 years ago

If you are still having issues please post a picture of the whole CPU board with the wiring plugged in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adjusts-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.