Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by CNKay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

My Dr. Dude was starting up just fine. Decided to install remote battery holder to prevent future problems. Cut old one out, installed, now I get "adjustment failure" every time I start the game. Tried different batteries, checked,and replaced diode at D2 (it checked ok). I can start the game by going into menu and starting, and game plays fine. What am I missing? This was never an issue till now.

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

That happens when you change batteries....

The machine has lost all of its' settings.

Just go back in and manually set the settings...everything will be fine.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks, I'll give it a try

#4 9 years ago

it should only take a couple minutes.

#5 9 years ago

If that doesn't work, did you wire it up to the right places on the board? With the board in the game, + goes to the lower left solder pad, and - goes to the upper right.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

If that doesn't work, did you wire it up to the right places on the board? With the board in the game, + goes to the lower left solder pad, and - goes to the upper right.

Yes, wiring is correct. I originally had it it backwards(red on bottom right, black top left), but changed it last night. Could this have affected something else or just no connection?

Quoted from indypinhead:

The machine has lost all of its' settings.
Just go back in and manually set the settings...everything will be fine

Tried this but not doing the trick. Once I go through the settings, how do I "save" them? Seems like some things change, but others don't. For example, freeplay, # of balls, changes to what I changed to, but others, like # of pre lit lamps, HS's do not?

#7 9 years ago

You'd just have an open connection, it wouldn't hurt anything.

Test voltage at the 2 wires on the CPU board. Is it good?

Then, move the red probe to both sides of D2. You should get some drop on the banded side of the diode - maybe 1/2 volt. Still good?

Check on pin 4 of U25, the RAM chip. It should match the banded side of D2.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Test voltage at the 2 wires on the CPU board. Is it good?

4.5V DC with game on

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Then, move the red probe to both sides of D2. You should get some drop on the banded side of the diode - maybe 1/2 volt. Still good?

The band looks like it is on the lower leg of diode (bottom side of board). I'm getting 4.5V DC on top leg, 4.9V DC on bottom. Is the diode reversed? Should the band be on the top? I replaced it last night the same way the old one came out. I do wear glasses so could be these old eyes are wrong?

#9 9 years ago

With game off I'm getting voltage drop across D2 diode. 4.5 down to 4.2When powered up it increases 1/2 volt. Normal? 4.5 to 4.9 when powered. Checked D3 and tests ok.

#10 9 years ago

The.diode is a blocking diode so that while the machine is powered up it is not charging the batteries so the non banded side of diode needs to be at the batteries positive.
The banded side will be furthest from the battery.
Electrically speaking not visually.
I guess you could use any diode but the original would likely be a special type with a very low forward bias voltage drop. Ie .3v instead of the normal .7v

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 18.95
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
Boards
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Gulf Shores, AL
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adjustment-failure-when-starting-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.