Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
97E60EEC-30F6-4A5F-B17E-64DF29431CE0 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

When the machine turns on it gives the adjustment failure error. previous owner had left batteries in the pack too long. He thought it only fried one of the pads in the holder. Even when I know I have a good connection in the holder with the 3 AA's it still gives the error. My thoughts are it corroded the connection to board itself? Next step remove the board and install remote holder. Does this seem like the correct process. Or do I need to check voltage from the battery holder first.

#2 3 years ago

Check the voltage first. This will prevent you from frustration if the battery holder is not the issue (blocking diode, etc).

Then change to a remote battery pack

#3 3 years ago

You need to remove the battery holder from the board so you can properly address any corrosion. If you're lucky there won't be any. If you're not, the board may not be worth fixing and you'll be replacing it.
Post a good photo or two of the board, especially near the battery holder.

#4 3 years ago

Verify the pads on the battery holder are intact - they weren't very stout and to me, they separated too easily. Like everyone else said, check voltage at the test point.

#5 3 years ago

Here’s the chips below the rom

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

When I check voltage at the circled points I get 4.6. So the battery pack is working.

97E60EEC-30F6-4A5F-B17E-64DF29431CE0 (resized).jpeg
#7 3 years ago

Just curious - did you check the adjustments after you changed the batteries - ie, scores needed for a new game, games per coin, etc.? Its possible the machine just lost its memory and needs reset.

#8 3 years ago

I switched out th batteries turned off and on. Still got error. Took them
Out again and again attempted. Same error

#9 3 years ago

Did you try to power cycle with the coin door open? That fixed my adjustment failure after I changed batteries with the power off (oops).

#10 3 years ago

I did got back into audits. Set to free play and tired it out. The. When power off/on got the error

#11 3 years ago

I had the door open and closed another time

#12 3 years ago

Pinwiki describes this error ominously "The "Adjust Failure" message seen in the picture at left occurs when the game software can't make sense of the information contained in the battery backed RAM at U25."

I think it might be time to consider changing U25

Check the information here:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#System_11_.22Adjust_Failure.22_and_.22Factory_Setting.22

#13 3 years ago

Thanks. I wasn’t sure if there was another spot in the board I should check for voltage. But I will switch out a u25

#14 3 years ago

In the case of U25, might as well install NVRAM to get rid of the batteries forever. If U25 is 24 pins, then it is a 6116 RAM.

https://pinitech.com/products/6116_nvram.php

#15 3 years ago

Another thing to note. Once you change to free play, you must continue through the adjustment menu until the game resets before it actually saves the new setting.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Thanks. I wasn’t sure if there was another spot in the board I should check for voltage. But I will switch out a u25

You can check the battery voltage on pin 24. If it gets there and you still have the problem then that's the next step. If it's not socketed be careful. Those traces are tiny

#17 3 years ago

I cycles thru to where it went into play mode and free play worked. So it must have saved.. thanks

#18 3 years ago

Pin 24 of chip u25? One lead to pin one to ground?
And it looks like it’s not socketed

image (resized).jpg
#19 3 years ago

Not sure if relevant but this is what was done prior. 7 years ago he said

image (resized).jpg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside