New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 274778)

Adjusting tilt bob

By undrdog

72 days ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 72 days ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 72 days ago

#HeatWave is tilting too easily for me.

The tilt bob is already as low as it can go without falling off.

I’m considering turning it upside down or putting it on a longer rod.

Seems that someone had commented that you don’t want to be doing the tilt bob upside down on 1960s Williams machines, but I don’t remember why & now I can’t find the thread.

Suggestions?

#2 72 days ago

Are you sure it's the Bob that's doing it, and not some other tilt switch?

#3 72 days ago

Can the ring around the bob be adjusted up and down? It might have slotted holes under the mounting screws. Or, could it have been mounted upside down?

/Mark

#4 72 days ago

Be sure the bob is centered in the ring. And the bob is as low as it can go.

And some are just more sensitive that others. Slide a rubber grommet up the shaft to where it hooks on to slow it down.

LTG : )

#5 72 days ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Are you sure it's the Bob that's doing it, and not some other tilt switch?

No, didn’t think of that. The machine is on thickly padded carpet, so it probably moves more than it should. I’ll check on the other switches.

Quoted from MarkG:

Can the ring around the bob be adjusted up and down? It might have slotted holes under the mounting screws.

Things that make you go "hmmmmmm". I’ll look.

Quoted from LTG:

Slide a rubber grommet up the shaft to where it hooks on to slow it down.

Neat idea! If tinkering with the tilt near the head doesn’t fix it, I’ll try a grommet.

The machine has five rollover buttons in an arch at the top. These advance the machine for eventually lighting the special. The skill shot is shooting the ball to roll over all five buttons. Just below the buttons are the pops, so there is a lot of nudging going on to hit the buttons when the play is at the top of the playfield. And that's when it’s tilting, so it could well be the tilt in that area.

#6 72 days ago

And, now, from the "shows what I know" department... there is no tilt near the head of the machine. (The machines are at work and I often think I remember how things are when logging in from home.)

The bracket holding the pendulum rod was a little bit off center. I've centered it. The two other tilts are bent so far back we can consider them turned off.

The bracket holding the ring doesn't adjust.

If centering the pendulum doesn't fix it, I'll try the rubber grommet trick. My 88 year old dad is coming over to play and we'll give the machine a good session. He used to work for a record distributor that was connected to a Williams distributor. "Back in the day."

#7 72 days ago

Even if the ring is not manufactured to be adjustable, you can usually orient it into 2 positions, such that the ring is farther up or further down the pendulum shaft.

Removing the weight and just letting the pendulum dangle between the ring will usually also make it less sensitive.

#8 72 days ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

The bracket holding the ring doesn't adjust.

The one holding the pendulum shaft can be bent, up, down, left, right, in, out, as needed. Needle nose pliers works best.

#9 72 days ago

Since this is in a home environment and you don't beat the crap out of your games. Disconnect one wire from the tilt and tape it off. End of tilts.

#10 72 days ago

Get a new rod from PBR. They are long so you can drop the bob as low as you want. Got pics? Might help us help you. From the side and top down with the playfield up.

#11 72 days ago

I had a new rod ready to go - 3/32" coated steel from the welding supply shop. (I have another hobby besides pinball, but Shhhhhh!)

Bending the bracket holding the rod so that the rod was centered better did the trick. Had my dad over to play, and he was not subtle in his nudges. No tilting.

Adjusted the contacts on the pops. They fire much easier now when the ball is above the pops. On this game, you need to be able to work the ball back up to the top, so that's working much better.

All that's left to do on the machine is raise up two inserts and figure out why one of the flippers wants to shudder some. And maybe tinker with the slope. I still haven't been able to get the specials lit "Blow Your Top!". Must be too much slope, but I'm going to give it another week or so of play, now that the pops are more sensitive.

#12 72 days ago

A lot of plumb bobs seem to swing forever and pick up speed as you play. I would look into the ear plug trick.

#13 72 days ago

That's great.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 22.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 11.95
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    £ 59.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1.00
    Various Other Swag
    Pinside Shop
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside