drop target (resized).jpg
Target Switch and Trigger.jpg
IMG_4630 (resized).jpg
IMG_4626 (resized).jpg
IMG_4625 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2023-02-27 22.24.30 (resized).png
IMG_4595 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi, my pin starts and plays fine overall but I recently have started having issues with the scoring wheels. From time to time the score keeps going on (tens or hundreds, a few times thousands) and does not seem to stop - it happens not for just one player (I have noticed it for player one and player two as well). Does it mean that I need to adjust the end-of-stroke switch on all score wheels? I have been reading the schematic and tried to figure out what position each switch should be on but I am a beginner and would need some help to better understand how to read the schematic and what position (open / closed) each switch should be set at? Thanks.

IMG_4595 (resized).jpgIMG_4595 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2023-02-27 22.24.30 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-02-27 22.24.30 (resized).png
#2 1 year ago

What are these relays doing when this happens?
10 Point (N) relay
100 Point (M) relay
50 Points (D) relay
500 Points and Add Bonus (E) relay

#3 1 year ago

The switches on the score reels that you are showing are what tell the game what position the score reel is on. Based on the state of the three switches, the game knows if the score reel is on the 0, 1-8, or 9 position.

If the game is scoring non-stop, then you have a scoring switch potentially stuck closed. Follow HowardR suggestion above. Which one of the relays that controls the scoring is the one getting stuck. You can then figure out which scoring switch is probably getting stuck.

Alberto

#4 1 year ago

Just to clarify, when you say that the score reels "keep going on and do not stop", is that happening during game start up or during actual play?

#5 1 year ago

Runbikeskilee it is happening during actual play. Not on all plays but it started sporadically and now more often (every other game or so). Sometimes the wheel stops when the ball goes through the through switch but most of the times it keeps going and I need to either to reset the game or turn it off completely. Thanks.

#6 1 year ago

I seem to remember having a similar problem with my SO76, I fixed it by pulling the reels that keep running, and compared the switch action to reels that were nearby and working properly, was able to find a difference with a couple switches gapped to close etc. and correct it. You can pull them out easy without disconnecting any wires and cycle them manually through the numbers and back to zero. They pop back in pretty easily.
Could be something else but worth taking a look IMO

#7 1 year ago

Peruman homebrood HowardR Hi, I did some trouble shooting yesterday and checked switches on reels to make sure everything looks good. What I figured out is that when I hit some of the left drop target they sometimes seem to be stuck halfway (see pictures) and this leads to the switch to stay closed and cause the game to score non-stop. I checked under the board and the coil seems fine (7.2 ohm reading for both coils on both side). However it seems that the mechanism to reset all targets bounce back by itself on the right side but not on the left side. On the right side it feels like there is a spring that pulls back the bar whereas on the left side it stays in the up position. Not sure if this is the reason why the target might get stuck? Thanks.

IMG_4625 (resized).jpgIMG_4625 (resized).jpgIMG_4626 (resized).jpgIMG_4626 (resized).jpgIMG_4630 (resized).jpgIMG_4630 (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago

If the targets reset all the way up, but some don't fall all the way down, it might be the springs are a bit too loose for those targets.
Not sure if I understand what you mean though. The reset bar should actuate evenly across the bank. It can't really go up on one side and not the other as it is a solid reset bar all the way across. Try actuating the mechanism by pushing the reset coil plunger to reset the bank and observe the action.
Maybe you can see what's going on that way. Don't use the reset bar to actuate it but push the coil plunger itself and watch the action. Also knock the targets down one at a time by hand and reset them a few times observing. They should fall all the way down. If not something could be binding the target. Could be a bit gunked up, and just need cleaning, or worn springs may need to be tightened up a bit so the target falls completely.

Just some thoughts. Hope you can figure it out and find an easy fix.

#9 1 year ago

There is an adjustment that can be made to move the drops in or out, depending on which side (front or back) is binding. This will be right on the drop target brackets. Loosen the screws (on both ends) which hold the bracket and you should be able to move it in or out, center the drops in the groove of the playfield, then tighten the screws back up.

#10 1 year ago

With regard to targets getting stuck halfway down and continuously scoring... I fixed my instance by backing off on the pressure that the target switch exerts on the trigger and then re-gapping the switch. See attached...

Target Switch and Trigger.jpgTarget Switch and Trigger.jpg
#11 1 year ago

I had the same issue as DaMoib on mine. Same fix

#12 1 year ago

Yeah, I did what DaMoib did as well....I do that on most of my drop targets.

#13 1 year ago

DaMoib thanks , I am still learning (2nd post!) and it’s not clear what I have to do exactly when you say: “ I fixed my instance by backing off on the pressure that the target switch exerts on the trigger and then re-gapping the switch”. Do you mind trying to explain this again, many thanks for your patience!

#14 1 year ago

Here is a picture of the drop target on my El Dorado I'm working on. The middle circle is where the trigger and the switch make contact. You want to adjust the area in the first circle so it doesn't put as much pressure on the trigger. Once the target moves easily up and down, you need to adjust the switches in the 3rd circle to make sure they are not making contact with the target is either up or down.
drop target (resized).jpgdrop target (resized).jpg

Edit.. something happened to the first circle. Imagine its to the left of the first line

1 week later
#15 1 year ago

BubbaK so I have followed your instructions and got moderate success...I guess I am trying to be too gentle not to brake anything. 1st question: what tool do you use to bend the switch(es) in the first circle? It seems too thick to use the adjuster? As for re-gapping the switches in the 3rd circle are you using the tool adjuster at the base of the switch or further along towards the contact? Thanks!

#16 1 year ago

Looking at the picture where circle one should be, it appears whatever cut my circle makes the line point to the wrong spot. By adjusting the support brace (the silver colored piece in the switch stack, it will reduce pressure on the trigger. I fixed the picture.

I always try to use the adjusting tool on any switch. If the switch is mangled then I'll try to straighten by bending where ever it needs. I don't adjust very many. I start with q-tips and alcohol and make sure the surface of the switch where the trigger makes contact is clean and smooth. If its still hanging up, I'd adjust. If the adjuster tool doesn't work I have a small pair of needlenose pliers I'll bend with.

Inkeddrop target (resized).jpgInkeddrop target (resized).jpg
#17 1 year ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

If the adjuster tool doesn't work

This is what I used when the L shaped adjuster wouldn't fit. I bought it at one of the pinball parts distributors many years ago but it looks like it could be home made from a piece of square key stock. Suggested links below.
20230315_194938 (resized).jpg20230315_194938 (resized).jpg
https://www.amazon.com/s
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-16-in-x-12-in-Zinc-Plated-Square-Bar-800317/204331372
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-12-in-x-1-ft-Plated-Steel-Sheet-Metal/1000035125
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/square-key-stock/machine-key-stock-5/

#18 1 year ago

Thats a cool piece HowardR... Might have to make something like that for the tool box.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 7.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 90.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adjusting-switches-for-score-wheels-gottlieb-far-out-1974?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.