• Latest reply 3 years ago by adalogue
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

My maverick pop bumpers don't work unless the ball hits them fairly hard which isn't very often. Never done any work on a bumper... any tweaks?

#2 10 years ago

Switches, get the contacts close but not touching or you will be replacing a fuse. That should increase your pop bumper sensitivity. You will need this http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518 to accomplish the adjustment.

#3 10 years ago

Clean the switches first with a business card and maybe some alcohol. You'd be surprised how much effect a bit of corrosion has on switch closure.

If they still aren't responsive enough, adjust first the activation switch so that the gap is closer (but reasonable). The second adjustment I've made, depending on the style of the spoon switch (or if it really is a problem, is to adjust the stiff metal strip (if present) so that the spoon switch presses into the bumper skirt peg as little as possible. I've had a few pop bumpers (on my Firepower specifically) where the spoon switch was being forcefully held on the tip of the peg and it both wears out the spoon, and makes the bumper activate poorly. The spoon switch should be centered and touching the peg, but not 'pressing' on it to the point of causing it to be resistive.

If that made any sense you're on your way to fixing it.

#4 10 years ago

That was some serious lingo there Purple. When I get to sit down with the machine tomorrow I hope that will translate

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Switches, get the contacts close but not touching or you will be replacing a fuse. That should increase your pop bumper sensitivity. You will need this http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518 to accomplish the adjustment.

This is what I would try first. Adjust the leaf from its base using this tool above or small needle nose pliers. You want them (the contacts) close but not touching.

#6 10 years ago

Center the tips of the skirts into the spoons.

A flashlight (shinning from above) will come in handy to do this.

Read Vid's guide on rebuilding pops:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I have one of these. I just don't know how to use it. What do you do?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I have one of these. I just don't know how to use it. What do you do?

Simply use the slotted ends (different directions dependent on what position you are trying to adjust switch with) at the base of the switch (put leaf in slot) and bend it the direction you need to adjust it to.

#9 10 years ago

Why thank you! What about micro switches? Same tool?

#10 10 years ago

No these are specifically for leaf switches (on targets, slings, pop bumpers ect.). An example pictured below:
image.jpgimage.jpg

#11 10 years ago

If the spoon (white thing) and peg (red thing) under the playfield are CLEAN. Disassemble and clean with isopropyl alcohol. As mentioned above, make sure the peg is aligned in the spoon well during reassembly.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

No these are specifically for leaf switches (on targets, slings, pop bumpers ect.). An example pictured below:

And you use the tool to bend the "short" (darker) metal on the outside of the longer leafs as well as the leafs themselves that have the contacts on them?

#13 10 years ago

I also hear about people adjusting micro switches....how do you do this without out snapping them off?

#14 10 years ago

I also hear about people adjusting micro switches....how do you do this without out snapping them off?

I believe micro switches can be adjusted by tightening and loosening the tiny screws. This will give you access to the guts and you can make adjustments to tighten and loosen the springs.

Typically, if your micro switch is flakey, it is simply better to buy a new micro switch rather than mess with it.

In my experience, once the micro switch has stopped working properly as a result of the spring inside the switch, it is far better to replace the switch rather than trying to fix it.

Marcus

#15 10 years ago

Some micro switches have a separate vertical threaded bracket that allows you to adjust the horizontal angle of the switch.

Others have a fixed threaded bracket; on those, there's minimal horizontal adjustment so your additional adjustment options are to either move the switch arm from the inner pegs to the rear (pry it off carefully) or to bend the arm itself.

Usually takes several attempts to get it right.

Even then, the fix might be only be temporary and the problem recur because of worn internals, as mentioned previously.

Another variable with switches: being mounted too high or too low (in relation to the slot) by the factory; in this case, a custom adjustment could be the answer if you don't want possible extra holes to relocate the switch to where it should have been mounted.

#16 10 years ago

All it took was a thorough cleaning of the switch, business card and alchohol, went to town on those and now they work like new, thanks!

#17 10 years ago

Something else to watch out for is to make sure that the pop bumper apron, when at rest, is parallel to the playfield. When I got my Sorcerer, the lower pop bumper mostly didn't fire because it was just enough off 90 degrees to the playfield that the ball rolling onto the apron from above didn't trigger the switch.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I believe micro switches can be adjusted by tightening and loosening the tiny screws. This will give you access to the guts and you can make adjustments to tighten and loosen the springs.
Typically, if your micro switch is flakey, it is simply better to buy a new micro switch rather than mess with it.
In my experience, once the micro switch has stopped working properly as a result of the spring inside the switch, it is far better to replace the switch rather than trying to fix it.
Marcus

Great answer I couldn't of said it better myself thanks for the helpful post!

And you use the tool to bend the "short" (darker) metal on the outside of the longer leafs as well as the leafs themselves that have the contacts on them?

Bend the back leaf from the base the one that has is stationary when the switch is activated. The forward leaf is the one that moves when switch is hit bending back to hit the stationary one. What you want to do is adjust the stationary leaf so it is close but not touching. I wish I could explain it better.

Quoted from nighttaco:

All it took was a thorough cleaning of the switch, business card and alchohol, went to town on those and now they work like new, thanks!

Thanks for posting the solution hopefully it helps others in the future.

6 years later
#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Clean the switches first with a business card and maybe some alcohol. You'd be surprised how much effect a bit of corrosion has on switch closure.
If they still aren't responsive enough, adjust first the activation switch so that the gap is closer (but reasonable). The second adjustment I've made, depending on the style of the spoon switch (or if it really is a problem, is to adjust the stiff metal strip (if present) so that the spoon switch presses into the bumper skirt peg as little as possible. I've had a few pop bumpers (on my Firepower specifically) where the spoon switch was being forcefully held on the tip of the peg and it both wears out the spoon, and makes the bumper activate poorly. The spoon switch should be centered and touching the peg, but not 'pressing' on it to the point of causing it to be resistive.
If that made any sense you're on your way to fixing it.

OK, so I've got a new AFMR and I think the pop bumpers aren't right. The "bottom jet" rarely fires. And almost never if hit from the left side. That makes me think that the peg may not be centered in the spoon. But when I raise the playfield and rest it against the box, I can't shine a light down on it from "above". So how am I supposed to see if the peg is centered? And won't the fact that the playfield is raised 90 degrees cause the peg to sag a little?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Glangas:

I can't shine a light down on it from "above". So how am I supposed to see if the peg is centered?

Bright enough light from below should allow you to see the peg silhouette through the translucent spoon.

Quoted from Glangas:

And won't the fact that the playfield is raised 90 degrees cause the peg to sag a little?

It shouldn't. Bumper skirt is held in place pretty firmly by spring tension.

#21 3 years ago

I find the pushing the spoon up towards the peg is helpful in centering. If the peg moves one direction or another when you push the spoon towards it it, then it’s not centered.

It’s also good practice to remove the spoon switch assembly from the underside of the playfield, clean the spoon and peg with rubbing alcohol, adjust the switch gap, reinstall and center up the spoon, and do a final tweak of the switch gap. I’ve never had this process not fix this problem. Make sure your game is turned off though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 259.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adjusting-pop-bumper-sensitivity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.