Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FFD4C661-24CE-4196-ACF5-C92DF6FF87E5 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Gtb Drop A Card. The reach on one flipper is 1/8” longer than on the other.

The brackets to the left of the picture are adjustable.

The pic shows how much more plunger is showing on the bottom flipper.

Is there a guide showing how long the reach should be? My instinct is to lengthen the shorter one, but I thought I’d ask.

Also, the pf has no indicator showing where the flippers should rest. Where should they be set?

FFD4C661-24CE-4196-ACF5-C92DF6FF87E5 (resized).jpegFFD4C661-24CE-4196-ACF5-C92DF6FF87E5 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

I would just pick which one you like better and bend the metal stop on the other.

#3 1 year ago

Never seen a guide although if you measure some of other games hopefully you'd find a common number.

Sometimes if you take off the bracket you'll see holes where one was moved, or find the bracket is bent.

On gottliebs of this era a good assumption for the rest angle is "parallel to the inlane"

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

On gottliebs of this era a good assumption for the rest angle is "parallel to the inlane"

Except DAC doesn't have inlanes.

Trial and error for the setting, although you can use the settings shown in photos from other games of this type flipper arrangement as a go by. There should be enough DAC and PAC photos on line to compare to.

As for the difference in stop position, I have found the longer the distance between the coil and that L bracket, the more power it gives the flipper. In my book I make them the same, but do adjust that L bracket for power tweaking.

#5 1 year ago

Thanks, everyone.

#6 1 year ago

The end of the left flipper plunger's linkage looks pretty worn.
    On the next order, I need to order a couple because the hole
    the plunger's pin goes through is quite worn on the Flipper
    Parade..

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

The end of the left flipper plunger's linkage looks pretty worn.
    On the next order, I need to order a couple because the hole
    the plunger's pin goes through is quite worn on the Flipper
    Parade..

Correct. The lower bakelite link is mangled at both ends. Looks like the upper link may have been replaced with new at one time. Notice the distance each pivot arm rests from its respective metal stop. The difference in rotation between the two is obvious. Best fix: replace the lower link (PBR has the material) using the upper link as your pattern. Quick fix: move the upper stop bracket away (has the slots for this), or screw in a metal shim piece onto the face of the lower stop bracket.

#8 1 year ago

This recent tool post (and thread) may be helpful in replacing flipper link roll pins. Can be a challenge:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-flipper-rebuild-mid-70s#post-7381008

#9 1 year ago

If you're buying a replacement link from PBR anyway, he also sells the correct size roll pin punch.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from fixintoplay:

Best fix: replace the lower link

So, the upper link is the one traveling the correct distance for the flippers to travel as intended by the designer, right?

#11 1 year ago

A pic of the playfield side with the flippers at rest would show that. But, aren't those 2" flipper positions adjustable via set screws on the flipper shaft? I can't recall.

#12 1 year ago

Rotating the flipper is no problem. The question is how far should it travel. Rotating the flipper so they both rest the same, seems like one would travel further than the other when the flippers are up.

#13 1 year ago

It’s a snow day here in Dallas, so I can’t go check it out. We shut down everything & go into 24 hr weather reporting after three snowflakes are seen.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

The question is how far should it travel.

I don't think there's really any set point, but I'd say the upper one (the right one
    when the playfield's installed) looks about right, or when the flippers are at
    rest, running them even with the metal guides just below them may be a good
    start for a trial, but I wouldn't give them any more throw then that..
    I'm guessing the right one is pretty close to where you'll want to be with it..

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from fixintoplay:

A pic of the playfield side with the flippers at rest would show that. But, aren't those 2" flipper positions adjustable via set screws on the flipper shaft? I can't recall.

The screw on the top side only holds the flipper plastic in place. Flipper position is adjusted like any other flipper.

Quoted from undrdog:

Rotating the flipper is no problem. The question is how far should it travel. Rotating the flipper so they both rest the same, seems like one would travel further than the other when the flippers are up.

Almost every part of the system can impact travel - L bracket, fiber link, plunger, coil stop. I generally try to make sure the L bracket is in the original factory position (determined by the screw hole that is not slotted), and the bracket has close to a 90 degree bend. If you then rebuild the flippers with new parts, they should have equal travel. With old parts you just get what you get, and it might not be even.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

With old parts you just get what you get, and it might not be even.

Good point.

#17 1 year ago

No time to work on it today, but taking a closer look, the two Bakelite pieces are not the same length and both have some play in them at the plunger roll pin.

2 months later
    #18 1 year ago

Installed new plungers & linkages. Dealing with roll pins wasn’t as bad as I feared. The little pin punch set I got had a cheap pin setting tool. Set the game on high tap and it plays great.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adjusting-flipper-reach-drop-a-card and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.