(Topic ID: 310808)

Adjustable difficulty for each individual player feature?

By naf_llabnip

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ViperTim
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

46435C5F-47B3-4B79-8F2E-212123F7A15D (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider naf_llabnip.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

This is my first OP on Pinside, so go easy if I'm breaking any pinball laws here

I have a nice little 4 machine collection, including a Wonka and Wizard of Oz. The nephews and friends gravitate to those, and typically they have no real pinball experience. If I play with them, it isn't fun for anyone to watch little Billy lose his ball after about 20 seconds, and then the evil uncle hogs the machine for 10 minutes when it is my turn. Sure, I could adjust the overall game difficulty level, but that means I play even longer. The best solution is for me to step back and not play.

So it occurred to me: for any modern pins it seems that it would be a relatively simple coding effort to have an optional difficulty setting per player. When you hit the start button, you could use the flippers to scroll through and select a different difficulty level for each player. You could disable or enable the feature within the setup menu (it would be "off" for me the vast majority of the time, but could be activated when the family is over, or disabled for operators on route, etc.). Seems that would be a nice feature for home use players with the little ones. I'm not talking about an extensive new ruleset, but just a way to have the ball save activated longer and possibly "deactivate" the outlanes so a new ball is returned if not drained in the middle. I know 99.999% of those reading this could care less about this feature for yourselves, but seems like it could help open up the hobby more to the young ones (or even maybe help pull in a spouse into the hobby, therefore resulting in more machines in your collection?!?).

If this has been done, what machines do this? (just occurred to me, god I sure hope Wonka and WOZ can't do this, otherwise I'll have to disappear in total shame)

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

READ THE ROOM.

Reading the room is why I made this post. Fair advice, especially for the older games that cannot technically support the feature I proposed.

1 week later
    #15 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Just remembered my Atari 2600 had this feature

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider naf_llabnip.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adjustable-difficulty-for-each-individual-player-feature?tu=naf_llabnip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.