(Topic ID: 310808)

Adjustable difficulty for each individual player feature?

By naf_llabnip

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ViperTim
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

46435C5F-47B3-4B79-8F2E-212123F7A15D (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Agree, there are plenty incredible talented players who will change their playstyle against novice players to make it fun and friendly instead of demoralizing the new player by purposefully losing. Throwing a game because you’re more skilled than a new player makes them feel like crap.
    What you can do:
    Play dangerously, make the deadly shots, flip on the fly, don’t cradle! On modern games I’ve seen good players choose objectives that are “fun” or highly rewarding but extremely risky and dangerous when playing against someone new because it is very exciting to watch it, and it’s very easy for them to lose without throwing.

This what I USUALLY do when I’m playing less skilled players, not that I’m amazing in any way. I’ll be a little more sloppy and play faster to keep the ball times down so they aren’t waiting forever for my ball to finish and lose interest. If it’s a game they haven’t seen before I’ll use my turns to try to explain basics and maybe point out how to get to the game’s easiest multiball.

I had family visiting last weekend and my nephews immediately flock to the pinball machines, which I love. My 9 year old nephew won a game against me and was feeling a little cocky and starts to smack talk. He says “I thought you would have scored more points. You have all these machines in your house. I barely get to play…”

Now, to be fair, I love some good natured smack talking, it makes it all more fun. At the same time, if you smack talk, I think it is okay to take the kids gloves off. Next game he wanted to play GOTG and I put in an honest effort and beat him 400 mil to 30 mil. I told him “I just didn’t want you to go to sleep tonight thinking you could actually beat me…” He shot me a look, but he loved the back and forth and we kept playing, switching machines a few times, with him playing players 1 to 3, and me on player 4 until it was time for him to call it a night.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adjustable-difficulty-for-each-individual-player-feature?tu=bigguybbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.