sys11 2 (resized).png
sys 11 img (resized).png
Sys 11  (resized).png
Diagram (resized).jpg
battery leak (resized).jpg
20170416_193626 (resized).jpg
20170416_193752 (resized).jpg
20170416_193641 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlonzoMoselyFBI.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 5 years ago

Hi all -- I had the same problem on my High Speed, and I wanted to thank you all for the inspiration and for nudging me in the right direction to solve my particular problem.

My machine would lose all settings and flash "Adjust Failure" at every startup. I still had the original battery holder with lithium AAs installed. I replaced them with new batteries to no avail. Piecing together advice from this forum entry, (and having the schematic handy also helped a lot), I was able to determine that my battery holder, which looked to be in fine shape, was NFG. I took further inspiration from this YouTube video and decided to install a lithium coin battery socket, and baby, it feels good.

So here's how it went down for me (please refer to the photo for clarity):

I hung my meter's ground to the CPU ground post and tested for voltage at pin 24 on the RAM IC, (U25 on my High Speed), and also at the anode side of the diode at D2 (directly to the left of the battery holder on the board). There was no voltage at either point, but I noticed that if I wiggled the battery holder or held a little pressure on it, voltage would suddenly appear. The holder was fouled.

I cut out the old battery holder with wire cutters and, using a soldering iron, removed the legs and excess solder from the board. I ordered these 2032 sockets from Amazon (~$7 for a set of 5):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0JRP8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

The legs of this new battery socket happen to line up perfectly with two of the six now open holes at the bottom left of the old AA section on the CPU. Although the socket does sit right up against the IC at U14, it solders in place perfectly.

I also had to run a jumper wire between the old AA battery holder ground connection at the top right over to the top left connector hole to get the negative side of the new battery socket grounded. A trace on the solder side of the CPU connects these two points.

The 2032 now provides a steady 3.1v at the anode side of D2, 2.8v at the cathode, (and the same at pin 24 of U25). This is less than the 4.5v prescribed by the three AAs, but is apparently more than enough for U25 to keep its shit together, and will never leak. My machine now holds all settings and high scores and starts up without error.

Diagram (resized).jpgDiagram (resized).jpg

If say, a remote battery holder is used instead, it means any time the CPU needs to be removed from the machine for whatever reason, you're probably going to have to unplug this connection, and all settings and scores are lost. The onboard lithium socket eliminates this pitfall that might rub some owners/players the wrong way.

I hope this helps others make a quicker diagnosis of an "Adjust Failure" error. Thanks all!

Paul

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlonzoMoselyFBI.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adjust-failure-williams?tu=AlonzoMoselyFBI and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.