Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by hAbO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

top-secret-big-phone.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    17117466053922260189117389793653 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_6597 (resized).jpeg
    TftMzO.gif
    IMG_0640.gif
    DSCN8883 (resized).JPG
    download (resized).jpg
    r25.gif
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    Phone booth (resized).jpg
    1ab (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 3 months ago

https://news.yahoo.com/landlines-dying-lifeline-174845208.html

The number of landline users has plummeted with the rise of cellphones, and the 19th-century technology's days appear to be numbered. Providers like AT&T are looking to exit the business by transitioning customers to cellphones or home telephone service over broadband connections. But for many of the millions of people still clinging to their copper-based landline telephones, newer alternatives are either unavailable, too expensive, or are unreliable when it matters most: in an emergency.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, only a quarter of adults in the United States still have landlines and only around 5 percent say they mostly or only rely on them. The largest group of people holding onto their landlines are 65 and older. Meanwhile, more than 70 percent of adults are using wireless phones only. The copper lines used for traditional landlines carry electricity over the wires, so as long as a phone is corded or charged it will work during a power outage. Landlines are separate from cellular and broadband networks and are not affected by their outages, making them a necessary backstop in rural areas. Many of those same areas have inadequate cellular or internet coverage.

"In three, four, maybe five years a lot of states are going to say 'Okay, it's permissible to discontinue service if you, the phone company, can demonstrate there's functional alternative service,'" says Rob Frieden, an Academy and Emeritus Professor of Telecommunications and Law at Pennsylvania State University. AT&T recently asked the California Public Utilities Commission to end its obligation to provide landline service in parts of the state. The Federal Communications Commission, which has to approve a request to end service, said it hasn't received one from AT&T.

I've experienced the service provider's disinterest in land lines a few times now in a commercial setting.

Two different providers drastically increased the monthly bill in order to encourage users to abandon their copper, which was ultimately the end result. One was a trunk line for phone service, another were just POTS (plain old telephone service) lines for emergency use (fire panels and elevators).

In my area, there was a fire code requirement on the books to provide direct phone lines for fire panels and elevators, as they were deemed to be the most reliable means of providing emergency phone service at the time. However, with POTS lines going away, the requirement has been relaxed and dedicated cell service with a secondary backup (through an existing phone system) is now allowed.

As for residential service, I know of a few people who are still using land lines, although they have slowly been converted over to digital phone service as land line prices go up or when the phone company refuses to repair a land line if/when it gets damaged.

Unless a customer has a UPS to power the modem (and most people don't), their digital phone equipment won't work in a power outage.

#2 3 months ago

When the new dark age is ushered in shortly we will regret losing the infrastructure. You’ll see. You’ll all see!

#3 3 months ago

Landlines enjoy legal protections limiting wire taps and eavesdropping. Technology makes tracking and listening in on cell phones easy, no warrant required.
    Payphones provided anonymity.
    Society can't allow this sort of freedom, they must be able to hear everything, everywhere.
    Sarcasm
    They took my landline after an upgrade of wifi. Then they got pissed I didn't want their voip internet phone.

#4 3 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

When the new dark age is ushered in shortly we will regret losing the infrastructure. You’ll see. You’ll all see!

Is there any way we can combine cord-cutting with changing our monetary system to solely crypto at the same time?

PLease answer in the form of charts, graphs, or memes.

#5 3 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Payphones provided anonymity.

Other than at an airport, I don't think I've seen a working payphone in public in quite some time.

NYC issued a press release a couple years ago about removing the last remaining public payphone: https://www.nyc.gov/content/oti/pages/press-releases/end-of-era-last-nyc-payphones-removed

#6 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is there any way we can combine cord-cutting with changing our monetary system to solely crypto at the same time?
    PLease answer in the form of charts, graphs, or memes.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #7 3 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Other than at an airport, I don't think I've seen a working payphone in public in quite some time.
    NYC issued a press release a couple years ago about removing the last remaining public payphone: https://www.nyc.gov/content/oti/pages/press-releases/end-of-era-last-nyc-payphones-removed

Wait... I saw that one!

#8 3 months ago

Thank you to Steve Young for keeping the “busy signal” tone alive.

#9 3 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Thank you to Steve Young for keeping the “busy signal” tone alive.

That's a funny throwback.

#10 3 months ago

I was at AT&T and asked to cancel my land line and they told me to wait a couple months and it would go away on its own without affecting my bundle discount

#11 3 months ago

My parents will never ditch their land-line, mobile phones are just a fad

#12 3 months ago

NO, say it ain't so, I love my land line
    My kids friends come over and when they go in my game room they're like..."What the hell is that"? LOL

1ab (resized).jpg1ab (resized).jpg
    #13 3 months ago

My Dad traveled the country working for Western Electric installing telephone switch gear. 50 years ago some rural areas just getting phone service.
    It has just been a few years here that our local electric co-op starting installing fiber internet. Still people here getting internet thru a copper pair.
    Landlines will go away, rural areas will take longer.

#14 3 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've experienced the service provider's disinterest in land lines a few times now in a commercial setting.

Yup. Several municipal government clients of our company have segments of public water/sewer related facilities on dedicated land phone lines for telemetry monitoring and control. Have been losing bits of those and support for the remaining pieces for years. Ideally we switch those to cell signal. But then service strength and reliabilty become issues, and are problems in rural or hilly areas.
    Plain old land line phone service is stone-age, but it's bulletproof unless the actual wires get physically cut.

#15 3 months ago

Just about 7 years ago the phone wires on the pole here were replaced to Copper in a plastic insulation.After 25+ years of bitching and most of the neighbors and having a guy that knew how to fix the lead pulp insulated wire we had.

The trusty old Dial up modem back up now no longer available when dsl dropped. Had this all set up soon as dsl dropped the modem would call out on a 2nd landline. Had and still do have good size ups tied to hub very few dropout from power outage. Actually have to look modem may still be on the ups. Otherwise everything is here in place the modem phone is not attached.

You may ask why no cable Tv/internet? Just say the name Charter/Spectrum and that tells you all. The current kinda high speed is a dsl + so faster as the At&t guy says. But get hit with high usage dsl charge.

I am just far enough from the co office nothing more can be offered. The real kicker i can take a lazy 5 min bike ride and they have fiber to the house. Some how on the wrong side of the train tracks and highway. Supposedly 2 to 3 years for fiber to the house not holding my breath. Lets just say i get throttled by the cell phone company even on a unlimited service.

#16 3 months ago

I had AT+T out here some ten or more years ago and they said the same thing then, that it would only be another couple of years at that time. I'm not worried.

John

Phone booth (resized).jpgPhone booth (resized).jpg
    #17 3 months ago

This was 14 years or so ago,. I was trimming trees and nailed my land line with the clippers .
    I should have just left it as just a couple years later I dropped the land line.

I had a bare bones account, but at&t kept raising my charges..

#18 3 months ago

I know some of you will laugh at this, but,I don't have, or use a cell phone When I'm not home, guess what? I'm not home!! Period!!

#19 3 months ago

#20 3 months ago

I'm screwed

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #21 3 months ago

Telephone line, give me some time..

#22 3 months ago

Why even have a phone on a cell phone?

Nobody calls and talks to each other anymore, anyway.

#24 3 months ago
    download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #25 3 months ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I know some of you will laugh at this, but,I don't have, or use a cell phone When I'm not home, guess what? I'm not home!! Period!!

I'm right there with you.

John

#26 3 months ago

I'm prepared.

When the squirrels finally chew through and destroy what's left of the landline up the poles that At&T also uses for its internet and TV service here that sometime goes out anyway when it rains and it can take up to a week to get it back, I can just plug this into my cable router and save even more money.

I'm at the point of who cares if I lose phone service if either the phone lines or electricity goes out.
    DSCN8883 (resized).JPGDSCN8883 (resized).JPG

#28 3 months ago

We still have 1 Payphone in this town this i know off but it doesn't work.

#29 3 months ago
    IMG_0640.gifIMG_0640.gif
    #30 3 months ago

Apparently even more than the antique copper and cracking rubber, squirrels really like to chow down on new fiber optic with's it soy based insulator.

#31 3 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

We still have 1 Payphone in this town this i know off but it doesn't work.

We still have two of them mounted to the walls where I work. I'd take them home but you have to have both keys to get it unmounted off the wall, which I don't have. Anyone got a spare set that I could borrow?

John

#32 3 months ago
    TftMzO.gifTftMzO.gif
    #33 3 months ago

We still have CB radios. They can’t take those from us!
    Can they?

#34 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Apparently even more than the antique copper and cracking rubber, squirrels really like to chow down on new fiber optic with's it soy based insulator.

Squirrels are F’n bastards! Being a rodent they need to constantly chew to wear down their teeth. They chew on my alum. skylights, metal landscape lights, Christmas lights, PVC front Porch posts and window and door frames. My jobsite F350 dump truck has had its fuel line replaced 3 times in the last 10 years because squirrels chewed holes in it.

The worst part is they multiply so fast it’s impossible to beat them back. I gave up battling them years ago after retiring 500 of them over a 5 year period. The only good squirrel is a dead one! Support your local predators! I occasionally leave leftover chicken or red meat out for this fox in hopes that it will continuously patrol my yard.

IMG_6597 (resized).jpegIMG_6597 (resized).jpeg
    #35 3 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I was at a local Sunoco a while back and their satellite went down so they couldn’t take CC payment. It was a total cluster F. I always carry some cash so I was able to fuel up. Most of the other customers left irritated with no fuel!
    Technology is great when it works!

Here’s my vintage phone.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #36 3 months ago

Mine is not quit that old but still cool.

17117466053922260189117389793653 (resized).jpg17117466053922260189117389793653 (resized).jpg
    #37 3 months ago

is that the presidential nuke phone ! or the bat phone!

#38 3 months ago
    Quoted from luch:

That's on a need to know basics

#39 3 months ago
    Quoted from luch:

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #40 3 months ago

Only 4 minutes long and worthwhile

#41 3 months ago

#42 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Only 4 minutes long and worthwhile

I kinda miss rotary phones.

#43 3 months ago

I wonder what kind of impact payphones would have had on the Covid "pandemic".

You have to admit, those things were disgusting. Putting something to your face that was also against hundreds of other peoples' faces, mouths and spit when they're yelling into the phone. Keep in mind, no one ever cleaned the payphones either.

#44 3 months ago
    top-secret-big-phone.giftop-secret-big-phone.gif

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.