Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Medic
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Hey All! This is a serious question that has plagued my playstyle and I am curious how some of you augment the issue. I am 40 years old, and have been through many machines currently owning 6 in my collection. I as well as my family enjoy pinball oh-so-much, and consider myself a decent player, but I have ADHD. It takes a toll on my playing in a way that I can only describe as: I shoot too early.

Being A-Type, I get excited and think fast and unfortunately react fast. Is anyone else hyper in their midlife and semi-suffer the same playstyle woes? I just can't get over mentally knowing I'm going to shoot the ball early. It's like if I tell you "Don't think about a pink elephant..." Now you're thinking about a pink elephant. On rare days, I can get in the groove...you 'feel' the shot. Almost could play blind, but again this is RARE and frankly it goes away just as fast as I recognize it's happening. Most of the time I'm just trying to engage the spot on the flipper I 'know' works for certain shots and I'm back at square one fighting my hyperactivity and early shooting. I know I asked how y'all cope with it, but maybe I'm just wanting to know I'm not alone.

(Yes, a couple of beers does help, but that's also a slippery slope on it's own not to mention I don't drink often)

#2 2 years ago

I think this also heavily depends on if you’re taking meds for it. Pretty much all the ADHD meds are just different amphetamines, and they can have disastrous effects on your thinking and decision making skills. Some people can tolerate them but after a decade, they’re not for me.

That would be the first question, then you could address the “thinking too fast” idea. I’ve found it helps me be a better player, thinking ahead of time what is going to happen and setup my plan as well as adjust on the fly.

#4 2 years ago

As an exercise try playing a game where you deliberately try to make every shot controlled. Don’t flip on the fly, let the ball bounce off flippers. Only make controlled shots from a cradle position or returning from an in lane.

If you practice control it may help retrain some impulses.

#5 2 years ago

Give marijuana a try. It’s all natural. I flushed all my meds a few years ago.

#6 2 years ago

Not a pinside rep

Do not take medical advice from this website talk with your doctor and do what's right for you.

#7 2 years ago

Give "The Inner Game of Tennis" a read. It's short, and won't solve any medical issues, but I took away alot of good and applicable ideas about how to get out of your own head.

#8 2 years ago

I agree on the try marijuana fully. I am recovering from kidney surgery and I have avoided all prescription pain meds. Only marijuana edibles and leaf. On this thing I am going through now.

#9 2 years ago

Smoke 2 bowls

#10 2 years ago

As a fellow late diagnosed ADHD'r (3 years ago at age 45, currently 48) I can relate. Take any and all medical advice with a grain of salt, including mine; if you are on say Adderall or Vynanse the desired effect should actually be increased clarity of thought and increased focus vs "too many thoughts", that said, I'm also an advocate of Sativa strains.

As for learning useful playing techniques/strategies, I suggest getting a real ass kicking old school game like Paragon, Flash Gordon, Seawitch or any other classic solid state machine that absolutely punishes you for taking a wrong shot. I look at a game as being a Wing Chun dummy: every game as being a fight and the goal is to slow the battle down and 90% of an effective defense is just redirecting the energy the game is throwing at you. This means you'll be needing to focus more on blocking strikes (drop catches, dead flips) and keeping in mind how you'll deal with making a recovery as opposed to just focusing on the specific game's objectives.

Now practice, practice, practice. Other "wax on wax off" ideas including turning ball saves and extra balls off, set your machines to two balls instead of three and also setting your tilts tighter and tighter.

#11 2 years ago

Not sure if it’s a (very probable) case of ADHD or just my general personality, but I greatly prefer a constant movement playing style vs a typical capture/aim/shoot approach. I realize though that this is terrible in terms of competitive play, so what I’ve been working on lately is trying to find a hybrid approach, where I try to get movement going on at times, but also try to stop occasionally and regain control.

Just by giving myself mental permission to play the way I prefer, I’m finding that I’m getting way more consistent with taking that pause to aim. I’m also finding that when I lean into the flow states that *are* working, I don’t have the nagging guilt that I should be stopping to trap the ball right then, so the flow tends to last longer.

Good luck!

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrandonLaw:

Hey All! This is a serious question that has plagued my playstyle and I am curious how some of you augment the issue. I am 40 years old, and have been through many machines currently owning 6 in my collection. I as well as my family enjoy pinball oh-so-much, and consider myself a decent player, but I have ADHD. It takes a toll on my playing in a way that I can only describe as: I shoot too early.
    Being A-Type, I get excited and think fast and unfortunately react fast. Is anyone else hyper in their midlife and semi-suffer the same playstyle woes? I just can't get over mentally knowing I'm going to shoot the ball early. It's like if I tell you "Don't think about a pink elephant..." Now you're thinking about a pink elephant. On rare days, I can get in the groove...you 'feel' the shot. Almost could play blind, but again this is RARE and frankly it goes away just as fast as I recognize it's happening. Most of the time I'm just trying to engage the spot on the flipper I 'know' works for certain shots and I'm back at square one fighting my hyperactivity and early shooting. I know I asked how y'all cope with it, but maybe I'm just wanting to know I'm not alone.
    (Yes, a couple of beers does help, but that's also a slippery slope on it's own not to mention I don't drink often)

I'm totally with you there. If you want to get better I would suggest only taking shots that you have gained control of or that have come down the in lanes. You can't do it every time, but even increasing the amount of shots you take like this 10% in a game will dramatically improve your score.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from KHL:

As a fellow late diagnosed ADHD'r (3 years ago at age 45, currently 48) I can relate. Take any and all medical advice with a grain of salt, including mine; if you are on say Adderall or Vynanse the desired effect should actually be increased clarity of thought and increased focus vs "too many thoughts"

Good advice here.

If you really have ADHD stimulants have a different effect on you than other humans.

I drink a gallon of coffee a day, easy. I can have a cup and fall asleep 5 minutes later. Espresso roast, hold the sugar, hold the cream. I have a full pot before even getting in the truck to head to work.

My brother went the other direction, alcohol to help keep it in check, did not work out so well long term.

You wonder how I can rip through so many diverse projects? ADHD. I can hyper focus with the best of them.

#15 2 years ago

HONESTLY....so much advice here and trust me...I understand it all I was on meds until college then ditched them. To be clear, I'm not saying ADHD is the be-all-end all to the shot inconsistencies, but damn if it isn't the greater portion. I was sold a Beatles Platinum not long ago and hosted the seller overnight and his son who happens to own a pinhub (way out of town) who in fact ALSO had ADHD diagnosed late in life. He was on meds. His insight was similar to a few of y'alls which basically was "one size doesn't fit all" when it comes to meds. Want to point out, I'm not against meds, but I'd rather at least TRY a different way of thinking or was hoping for some game tactics to realign which were posed and I will try. I also agree with some you where fuck I love having this societal 'disability.' I drink a gallon of coffee a day, but also do well in my field because I can get it done.

So here's where we are at...I've taken some advice...and frankly...I've picked up some Delta 8.

Stay tuned.

#16 2 years ago

Seconding the suggestion for The Inner Game of Tennis-- great book to give yourself new tools for focusing on and improving your play in practice and competition. Lots of the mental tennis-specific drills work well with pinball concepts too.

There are a few sections in Doyle Brunson's Super System, a famous book on poker, where he talks about the mental side of the game. You'll have to skip some big sections about actual poker, but the advice carries over well and he has a great perspective on how to compete against a big crowd as an individual player.

1 week later
    #17 2 years ago

There's nothing like falling asleep with a hot cup of coffee in your lap... LOL!

Quoted from gdonovan:Good advice here.
    If you really have ADHD stimulants have a different effect on you than other humans.
    I drink a gallon of coffee a day, easy. I can have a cup and fall asleep 5 minutes later. Espresso roast, hold the sugar, hold the cream. I have a full pot before even getting in the truck to head to work.
    My brother went the other direction, alcohol to help keep it in check, did not work out so well long term.
    You wonder how I can rip through so many diverse projects? ADHD. I can hyper focus with the best of them.

#18 2 years ago

This. I too have ADHD. I have used pot to control it for years now. It is far nicer to me than the pills they used to have me on!

2 weeks later
    #19 2 years ago

I thought I was adhd seven years ago. My therapist whipped out a book and asked me all the questions.

Once completed, she said/ you are not adhd.

I have had people at that time ask me if I was.

Since then I’ve had a stroke and three brain surgeries.
    Things are different now, i can easily be distracted, for instance.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

This. I too have ADHD. I have used pot to control it for years now. It is far nicer to me than the pills they used to have me on!

Better than Addy?

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Better than Addy?

Pills always leave me.... Not me. They alter my being on a level that I do not enjoy.
    Weed, just shuts up the noise, so I can focus.

#22 2 years ago

Follow-up. Got some gummies. Delta-8's. Frankly, I can't see myself smoking or even taking the real thing, because wow do they do the job. It helps dramatically on shooting/thinking about shooting, but there's a disclaimer here (at least for me.) As I'm not accustomed to this mindset, and I'm 40, I can't obviously be on a gummy all of the time. Going to need to find a better long-term solution which means some of the aforementioned tools.

Bit of a sidenote here, but for someone who is 1000 mi/hr...the ability to slow down is pretty great. I even interact better with other humans, tell better jokes, feel overall 'kinder.' If I could take myself down to that peg or even one above it for posterity...permanently....I would.

#23 2 years ago

This post is a great post, thank you for sharing it.
    I am a good players but I do sometimes get beaten by my own anxiety and nerves. I have not been diagnosed with ADHD I do however have a lot of the symptoms and will try to get an assessment at some point soon - this is something I have been trying to do for a couple of years now - but has been postponed due to covid and how difficult it is to get a dr around here.

All that to say, felt very identified with your post.

I have tried managing some of the symptoms with marijuana but it just does not work for me, I get paranoia and affects other parts of my life and can't function normally, this also increases my anxiety to crazy levels and makes everything worse. I am also not interested in taking any drugs or being dependant and would be more interested in tackling it without any drugs but not sure if if this is possible or effective.

Great post!

#24 2 years ago

I do not have ADHD but have used most ADHD drugs recreationally (back in my party days) and they are nothing but legal cocaine. I hate doctors (most are worthless) and pharmaceutical companies pimping this crap on people. The delta 8 gummies which are legal in most states now are a great alternative to pot and you don't have to deal with smoking/inhaling anything.

#25 2 years ago

ADHD as well here. Here’s my thoughts on how I play.

Sometimes smoking did/does help but realized it’s not for me.

Music is a must or noise canceling headphones. That helps me stay focused(I normally use instrumental music or music in a foreign language so I don’t get distracted)

Competition and high stress are my strengths. Local/casual? Too boring. I won’t care and that’s a problem as well. If there’s nothing on the line I will not produce enough dopamine to care.

When I play tourneys in between turns I either will watch and analyze or walk to change the scenery. Sometimes I just need to move.

It’s hard. I’ve used pinball as a way to help me focus and block out those other thoughts. It’s not an easy process, it has taken me time and constantly being aware of how my brain works.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

This post is a great post, thank you for sharing it.
    I am a good players but I do sometimes get beaten by my own anxiety and nerves. I have not been diagnosed with ADHD I do however have a lot of the symptoms and will try to get an assessment at some point soon - this is something I have been trying to do for a couple of years now - but has been postponed due to covid and how difficult it is to get a dr around here.
    All that to say, felt very identified with your post.

https://www.amazon.com/Driven-Distraction-Recognizing-Attention-Childhood/dp/0743529006

Get the paper copy of this, there is an excellent checklist with scoring.

For sometime the literal Bible for people with ADD and ADHD and it still might be.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I do not have ADHD but have used most ADHD drugs recreationally (back in my party days) and they are nothing but legal cocaine.

I’m not a fan of this take. That it simply not true. To your brain yes. But ours do not function that way. Someone who has ADHD and takes those meds causes us to CALM down not speed up. That’s why you can tell when someone who has it vs someone who doesn’t when they take it.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zak440:

Someone who has ADHD and takes those meds causes us to CALM down not speed up.

ding ding!

A better description is the world comes into focus.

The effect on me vs my friends back in the day was notable and part of my diagnosis.

The stillness for lack of better terms was incredible.

#29 2 years ago

There is a lot of misconceptions/stigmas about ADHD.

We have a bad memory.
    False. We have an insane memory. The problem is ACCESSING that information. Think of the brain as a file cabinet but we just didn’t put labels on where everything is.

We are lazy and don’t want to do work.
    False. We lack what’s called executive functions. Meaning we do not prioritize things correctly and it is physically and emotionally painful for us to do tedious tasks. It’s like if you had to do your laundry while wearing 300lb weights. It would be taxing and more difficult.

We can’t focus or have attention.
    Half true. We lack dopamine, the reward you get for accomplishing something. That feel good you get after a project or doing something well? We don’t get that at the right times. So we don’t feel good for doing certain things or getting things accomplished.

Hyper focus is a super power!
    No. Not really. Hyper focus is what adhd people get for short periods of time when we find something we are interested it. We become so engulfed in a NEW idea that we learn and absorb as much information as we can. We lose track of time, normal functions(Oh no I forgot to eat again today) and just get lost because now we OVERPRODUCE dopamine. Then in an instant we can lose that interest and we are back to square one.

There are many more. I have had tests done by professionals and doctors on me my whole life trying to understand how my brain works and just now in my 30s do I finally have a decent grasp on it.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zak440:

There is a lot of misconceptions/stigmas about ADHD.
    We have a bad memory.
    False. We have an insane memory. The problem is ACCESSING that information. Think of the brain as a file cabinet but we just didn’t put labels on where everything is.
    We are lazy and don’t want to do work.
    False. We lack what’s called executive functions. Meaning we do not prioritize things correctly and it is physically and emotionally painful for us to do tedious tasks. It’s like if you had to do your laundry while wearing 300lb weights. It would be taxing and more difficult.
    We can’t focus or have attention.
    Half true. We lack dopamine, the reward you get for accomplishing something. That feel good you get after a project or doing something well? We don’t get that at the right times. So we don’t feel good for doing certain things or getting things accomplished.
    Hyper focus is a super power!
    No. Not really. Hyper focus is what adhd people get for short periods of time when we find something we are interested it. We become so engulfed in a NEW idea that we learn and absorb as much information as we can. We lose track of time, normal functions(Oh no I forgot to eat again today) and just get lost because now we OVERPRODUCE dopamine. Then in an instant we can lose that interest and we are back to square one.
    There are many more. I have had tests done by professionals and doctors on me my whole life trying to understand how my brain works and just now in my 30s do I finally have a decent grasp on it.

A rough thumbnail, but don't forget that people have different grades of ADD/ADHD and it can shift over time as you age as well.

When I was in school I was so wired a teacher once taped me to a chair, I'd get up and just start pacing the classroom. Nothing being taught was interesting and I was bored to tears.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

A rough thumbnail, but don't forget that people have different grades of ADD/ADHD and it can shift over time as you age as well.

Absolutely, it’s a wide spectrum. Not everyone had the same habits or issues that other have. It’s a very large scale.

#32 2 years ago

Following, because it is good to read perspectives. Important for everyone to find the way that best suits them.

#33 2 years ago

I have ADHD, though probably not that bad of a case. I was diagnosed and prescribed methylphenidate (ritalin) in college. I stopped when local pharmacies stopped carrying generic (I couldn't afford brand name). Over the years, I learned copping mechanisms, tricks to stay focused, do things I don't want to do, and so on. I am very energetic and don't sit still very well, but working from home, it's not that big of a deal.

It's interesting to hear about other people's take on pot. I've tried it, and it seems to have the exact opposite effect on me, to the degree that I don't really like it.

#34 2 years ago

I'm learning so much about ADHD and possible causes. I'm pretty sure I have it since it takes me 5 times longer to focus on "boring" tasks. My oldest son has been showing stronger signs of ADHD and doctors are saying it's likely Autism Spectrum Disorder. Many of the people we have dealt with over the years made comments that were hints (without giving it a name)...such as teachers always pointing out behavioral and focus issues, anxiety (fight instinct), or the facial ticks... We've been hearing about it since pre-k and thought it was just his nature. 13 years later, the struggle continues.

Ok, enough of that selfish rant. Coffee snapped me into a hyper-focused state that allowed me to get through college. Unfortunately, more than 2 cups leads to heart palpitations..ugh.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from durgee7:

My oldest son has been showing stronger signs of ADHD and doctors are saying it's likely Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Some people with ADHD are technically on the spectrum as well. Also my anxiety was caused by my ADHD. I wouldn’t be surprised either way, just know that sometimes those things are hand in hand.

#36 2 years ago

ASD and ADHD are different things. My son has both, and the ASD fights the ADHD. We got him on a me to help with the ADHD, and teach coping mechanisms for the ASD. He used to be wild and crazy before the meds, and is now super calm and focused. He has been learning social skills, and is just a little awkward when on his meds. When they wear off, it is much better than before, but sometimes he can get hyper and really annoying.

#37 2 years ago

ADHD and ASD here. Was diagnosed ADHD when I was 6-1/2 and started Ritalin when I was 7. Was diagnosed ASD at the same time (back then it was called Asperger’s) Always knew about the ADHD but was never told about the ASD diagnosis until I was almost 40. My parents figured I had enough to deal with being the only one in my smallish circle of friends that was “different” so they never felt it necessary to discuss it. I don’t blame them. It was difficult being the “different” kid. When not on meds I was super impulsive and never took the split-second it takes normal people to think about possible consequences. There was never an if/then statement factored into anything if I was unmedicated. My friends loved it because I was the crazy one. I was in therapy until I was 18 to learn how to deal with people socially. Mainly to learn things like it’s not OK to walk up to somebody and say things like “Gosh, you’re really fat. How do you fit in a car?” You know, things that we all think but never say. My brain/mouth editor had to be taught how to work.

I was on Ritalin through my first year of college and decided I’d had enough of the meds and that I could handle it on my own. I did handle it. Made the Dean’s List most semesters. BUT… I made it by the skin of my ass!!! I had to pull more all-nighters writing papers that were due the next day than I ever did as a teenager staying up to watch movies and whatnot. I couldn’t focus on anything unless disaster was imminent. Post college I went on Strattera for 2 years. At the time Strattera was the only non-stimulant medication for ADHD. I stopped using it after 2 years because I felt I could handle myself just fine. That worked until I was 26 and entered the profession I am currently in. I do Special Effects for motion pictures and television. I managed to work the first year without meds but it was a constant struggle. The final straw was my supervisor telling me I would be fired if I couldn’t get my shit together. That evening I found a Psychiatrist and have been on a cocktail of Ritalin and Strattera ever since. I totally get that for a lot of people the answer is not medication. It doesn’t work for everybody. For me? I’d be a useless bag of shit somewhere, if I was even still alive at 44, if I didn't have my daily meds.
    Sorry for the long ramble, I found this thread and had to contribute.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zak440:

We have a bad memory.

I NEED to comment on this. I'm curious how old you are? I have just turned 40 and for the last few years, every once in a while I stumble on something that should be so coherently easy to recollect....think of it as 'on the tip-of-my-tongue' kind of feeling but MUCH worse. I will have a mental block for possibly hours on just a word or a name that was easy the day before. Accessing information is really a nail on the head here with ADHD. With age, I assume it only gets worse. It's almost like a nervous tick although I'm not a terribly nervous person? I don't know how to overly describe it.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrandonLaw:

I NEED to comment on this. I'm curious how old you are? I have just turned 40 and for the last few years, every once in a while I stumble on something that should be so coherently easy to recollect....think of it as 'on the tip-of-my-tongue' kind of feeling but MUCH worse. I will have a mental block for possibly hours on just a word or a name that was easy the day before. Accessing information is really a nail on the head here with ADHD. With age, I assume it only gets worse. It's almost like a nervous tick although I'm not a terribly nervous person? I don't know how to overly describe it.

I run into this as well, part of it might be normal aging.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I run into this as well, part of it might be normal aging.

I'm half-hoping it's not overly serious like Alzheimer's or anything of the like. If I backtrack the block, it's mental anxiety.

Also, do y'all drink a lot of coffee? I'm not talking a few cups by noon. I wake up around 4a each day to get some alone time to just bang away or shop or work on whatever while the family sleeps and its rare if I don't blow through a pot by 6a. I'll have maybe 3 more cups by noon and usually be done for the day, but since I'm not a drinker, I'll now have a cup after the workday.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrandonLaw:

I'm 40 and it happens more than I'd like to admit. Add to the list, peoples names that you haven't said for days or weeks. You recognize faces but can't always retrieve the name or word until the situation becomes uncomfortable. The pandemic has not made things easier.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrandonLaw:

I'm half-hoping it's not overly serious like Alzheimer's or anything of the like. If I backtrack the block, it's mental anxiety.
    Also, do y'all drink a lot of coffee? I'm not talking a few cups by noon. I wake up around 4a each day to get some alone time to just bang away or shop or work on whatever while the family sleeps and its rare if I don't blow through a pot by 6a. I'll have maybe 3 more cups by noon and usually be done for the day, but since I'm not a drinker, I'll now have a cup after the workday.

I used to self medicate by drinking crazy amounts of coffee in a day. Base level of 10+ cups, but usually way more. In 1997, I cut all caffeine but one cup of coffee per day out of my life, and it took me probably a full year to lose that sluggish feeling. Now it’s second nature and I don’t miss it, but this past week I was dragging from not enough sleep, and when I poured myself a second cup, I was able to focus quite well on a super boring task, so….

Quoted from unclerudy:

ASD and ADHD are different things. My son has both, and the ASD fights the ADHD. We got him on a me to help with the ADHD, and teach coping mechanisms for the ASD. He used to be wild and crazy before the meds, and is now super calm and focused. He has been learning social skills, and is just a little awkward when on his meds. When they wear off, it is much better than before, but sometimes he can get hyper and really annoying.

My kiddo is ASD and shows ADHD symptoms. Back when it was being diagnosed, the doctor said to us that there were some specific diagnostic criteria that are used to officially diagnose ADHD, and that the ASD symptoms are basically almost everything but not enough to officially get the diagnosis. That’s why the ADHD treatments tend to work with ASD kids too.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrandonLaw:

Also, do y'all drink a lot of coffee? I'm not talking a few cups by noon. I wake up around 4a each day to get some alone time to just bang away or shop or work on whatever while the family sleeps and its rare if I don't blow through a pot by 6a.

Wake up at 4 to 430 each day, by the time I leave for work at 630 already burned through a full pot of cafe bustelo espresso. 830am, first cup at work. 2pm, second. Get home at 330pm my wife already has a half pot brewed for me as I walk in the door.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from durgee7:

I'm 40 and it happens more than I'd like to admit. Add to the list, peoples names that you haven't said for days or weeks. You recognize faces but can't always retrieve the name or word until the situation becomes uncomfortable. The pandemic has not made things easier.

I have always had difficulty attaching faces to names, mnemonics become second nature.

Pastor's wife name is Rosa, which for some reason I could not remember. As soon as I mentally attached the picture of a rose (the flower) to her, her name pops into my head automatically.

Why I remember to attach a rose to this person and just not a name I cant say but it works everytime.

Guy at the post office is named Dave, when I see him I think of Wendy's hamburgers. You can guess the rest.

#45 2 years ago

I am 40 here as well and as per this thread looks like there is a trend of people my age. I find that interesting and I wonder if it has to do with the fact that we know ourselves better with age and can recognize things now that we did not in the past, for other reasons such as just being ignorant or immature and also because we are 80s kids and our parents lived in a different time when these things were taboo.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I am 40 here as well and as per this thread looks like there is a trend of people my age. I find that interesting and I wonder if it has to do with the fact that we know ourselves better with age and can recognize things now that we did not in the past, for other reasons such as just being ignorant or immature and also because we are 80s kids and our parents lived in a different time when these things were taboo.

My case.. was painful to me all the signs were there and my older brother was diagnosed with ADHD. I had to figure it out myself in the late 30's. Met a wonderful Chrysler engineer who also has ADHD and he asked me inside 10 minutes after we first met if I had it.

He directed me towards the book Driven to Distraction and I won't go as far as saying it changed my life.. but it certainly answered a lot of questions and I picked up a few things. Some mechanisms for dealing with it effectively I had already picked up and I can also recognize when "I'm going off the rails" on a project and have to step back.

The damning thing was I had school records from 1978 pulled when I was evaluated by a school psychologist and everything was there. My mother refused to accept the results and I ended up getting shuffled from one crappy school to another till tech school where I started to settle down to some degree. About the time I started drinking coffee now I think about it. By the time I graduated I was actually enjoying school to some degree.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I have always had difficulty attaching faces to names, mnemonics become second nature.
    Pastor's wife name is Rosa, which for some reason I could not remember. As soon as I mentally attached the picture of a rose (the flower) to her, her name pops into my head automatically.
    Why I remember to attach a rose to this person and just not a name I cant say but it works everytime.
    Guy at the post office is named Dave, when I see him I think of Wendy's hamburgers. You can guess the rest.

I’ve had difficulty putting names to faces my whole life. My memory is (usually) spot on just not with names. Personally I always wrote it off as me not caring enough to solidify the name/face relationship because they weren’t in my “inner circle” and, therefore, of no great importance to me. Yes that would be another one of the social graces I had to learn.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deezer5150:

I’ve had difficulty putting names to faces my whole life. My memory is (usually) spot on just not with names. Personally I always wrote it off as me not caring enough to solidify the name/face relationship because they weren’t in my “inner circle” and, therefore, of no great importance to me. Yes that would be another one of the social graces I had to learn.

Also of interest- People with ADHD tend to attract friends who also have it.

Don't know why but the number of friends I have who are on the ADHD spectrum is notable. I attribute it to how were wired and think. others find it off-putting, we find it refreshing. My wife cracks up when a friend calls, I'll answer, rattle off a short answer or two and go back to what I was doing with hardly a pause.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zak440:

Competition and high stress are my strengths. Local/casual? Too boring.

I drag raced, still do on occasion.

Had three girlfriends at one time simultaneously in my late 20's, you want to talk about a dopamine rush keeping that on track.

#50 2 years ago

I am completely impressed at the stories everyone is sharing on this thread. One checkmark in the positive column for Pinside.
    I am not afflicted with ADHD but live with those who are. More light should shine on this. thank you.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adhd?hl=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.