• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

There seems to be a common issue on taxi, as it uses the older wire inlanes that the inlane ends a little bit too far away from the pivoting end of the flipper, causing the annoying ball hop due to the gap between inlane and flipper.

I've tried loosening the 8 hex screws on the flipper assembly, but there isn't really any play to adjust the thing closer to the wire on to (in order to close the gap). You can't really move the inlane either, as it is held in place with holes in the pf.

Has anyone addressed this? It's been a common issue with both of my taxis. Can't seem to fix it.

Anyone?

#2 8 years ago

Bump

#3 8 years ago

So the ball hop is caused by the distance between the end of the inlane and flipper? Would a larger diameter inlane guide help? I'm wondering if a machine shop could reproduce the inlane guides a little wider up to the ends, which would have to remain the same diameter to go through the playfield.

#4 8 years ago

I've switched to superbands and they're slightly thinner than traditional flipper rubber, eliminating the hop.

You might also want to try to adjust the flipper bats / rods themselves, there might be more 'give' or play in them than the ball guides.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I've switched to superbands and they're slightly thinner than traditional flipper rubber, eliminating the hop.
You might also want to try to adjust the flipper bats / rods themselves, there might be more 'give' or play in them than the ball guides.

I use superbands. Being thinner makes the gap larger though. Happens w normal rubs too.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from jkroeck25:

So the ball hop is caused by the distance between the end of the inlane and flipper? Would a larger diameter inlane guide help? I'm wondering if a machine shop could reproduce the inlane guides a little wider up to the ends, which would have to remain the same diameter to go through the playfield.

Yep. Exactly. I think this is common on taxi. The gap causes an annoying hop upon rolling onto the flipper

#7 8 years ago

Anyone?!

#8 8 years ago

Get a new set of flipper frames from Cliffy.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

#9 8 years ago

Didnt see the part about the wire only guide. Make sure the wires aren't bent, make sure they are not sitting too low in the playfield. You want them to be in the center of the ball when its rolling. Too high or low will cause hop.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Craigmack:

Didnt see the part about the wire only guide. Make sure the wires aren't bent, make sure they are not sitting too low in the playfield. You want them to be in the center of the ball when its rolling. Too high or low will cause hop.

It has nothing to do with the positioning up or down of the wireform. It's about the gap in between the wireform and flipper that causes hop.

ANd yes, it's a wire only guide. I wish cliffy could help but his inlanes are for other system 11s.

#11 8 years ago

I had no ball hop on my taxi after adjusting the wireform, but it sounds like you got it covered. - good luck!

#12 8 years ago

The hop is real. I've got it too on the right flipper only, and its definitely caused by the gap between the rubber and the wire. I tried bending the wire, and that did help a bit, but it by no means fixed the problem.

I tried superbands as well, but it was hit or miss. If the ball was moving fast, there was a seamless transition...but there is with regular rubber when the ball is fast, too. I removed the superbands because it made the flippers so strong the ball would brick against the ramp curves and dribble down.

...would it be possible to convert Taxi to use other inlane guides? You'd have to drill holes and it would be sad 'n all...but is it possible with off-the-shelf parts?

#13 8 years ago

Yep. Gap is real. Causes a pain in the ass hop.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Craigmack:

I had no ball hop on my taxi after adjusting the wireform, but it sounds like you got it covered. - good luck!

How did you adjust the wireform? It is inserted into the playfield and two points?!

#15 8 years ago

I'm looking at the pic you took and trying to think of a solution. Can you take another pic like the last one but with the flipper in the up position? I'd like to see if it gets closer to the guide. I wonder if you could do something similar to the ones on Judge Dredd.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addressing-flipper-ball-hop-taxi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.