Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ATX_24pin001a1.png
20150322_030740.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 8 years ago

Killer How-to by NPO, thanks for taking the time to put together this detailed guide. I would highly recommend this mod to anyone that is looking to upgrade their sound system more than just adding aftermarket speakers.

The only thing I don't like about it, and I'm hoping there is a solution, is that I always have a constant "white noise" type of sound coming out of the speakers as long as the game is powered on no matter if it's in attract mode or if I'm playing and it doesn't go up or down with volume level. Does anyone know what this could be and is there a way to get rid of or even minimize it?

1 month later
#15 8 years ago

NPO, no big deal, I was taking time off of Metallica and playing my newly acquired Mustang anyways.

I really appreciate the detailed response, it didn't work in my situation, but it did get my wheels spinning! Before changing any adjustments on the EQs I turned the game volume all the way down and noticed the white noise sound didn't change. I ended up goofing around with the EQ settings and figured out what was causing my noise was the very last two EQ adjustments on the right for the backbox speakers, in particular the last one on the right was very sensitive and controlled most of that noise. So after experimenting for a little while what I ended up doing was with the game in attract mode I adjusted the last two for the amount of white noise I considered tolerable and didn't get on my nerves, then I turned the game volume up pretty loud, 50 I think? I played a song using the jukebox feature. I left the last two settings on the right alone and adjusted all the other EQ setting to the sound I liked the most.

I do have to say I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't turn the last two up much because to me they add to the way I like the audio to sound, but that white noise REALLY got on my nerves to where I didn't want to play the game or even have it turned on. I was talking to Metallik last night at his get together about this and he and I were trying to figure out where the EQ was picking up the sound at, was it off the power supply, at one point he suggested using a in-line filter, which I think would be worth trying, is it a very sensitive channel on the EQ or I was wondering if maybe just the audio feed from Stern isn't super clear and the EQ picks it up and amplifies it?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Sorry to bypass your whole reply, but you were at Metallik's lastnight???? So was I!!!! I was there from 3pm-8pm - dang wish I had known!
I noticed his IMVE tends to "sing" in attract mode as well. I can hear it everytime I stand close to it; I don't think anyone else catchs it though. I wonder if his IMVE "noise" in attract mode is the same as what you're referring to.

I think you were hanging out with Pete most of the time? I thought you might have been NPO, but wasn't for sure, was going to come over and ask, but you were gone before I knew it.

Yeah, the Ironman definitely makes some noise just sitting there. I opened the cabinet and noticed that on one of his amps one of the two EQ settings was turned up pretty high so I'm betting that setting is causing his to do it also.

#19 8 years ago

I'm not sure on the audio being mono, but I think the reason to use two amps is to be able to adjust the EQ independently between the backbox and cabinet speakers.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
Other
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Conifer, CO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addition-of-boss-amplifiers-to-stern-machines?tu=pindude80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.