Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sound Schematic.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I'm entertaining modifying my own Paragon with quips I'll voice myself. I think it's possible with a little circuitry adaptation. What do you think? (Note: I'm a professional broadcaster who could swing a mean voice. I would need a female voice to parallel the characters.)

#2 9 years ago

I think that would be the most awesome thing ever!

#4 9 years ago

That's amazing! I don't aspire to such greatness, and I'm pretty sure I'd rather use the original switch matrix. At any rate it's a pipe dream at the moment.

#5 9 years ago

So Ghostbusters pinball never was, except by this one guy's team.

#6 9 years ago

Right. Just a one off/retheme, but the way he added his own sounds seemed pretty slick.

#7 9 years ago

I've decided that adding background music would be better than just simple voice-over work, but the things I intended to add could be added to the music tracks triggered by various Paragon switches. Here's the breakdown of what I envision if I could manage to get a copy of the music supplied in this YouTube video:

:47 - Start Game
6:50 to 7:35 - Ball Plunge and standard gameplay loop
7:35 to 8:05 - Paragon saucer ready loop
15:31 to 15:47 - Waterfall sequence mixes down to gameplay loop
58:44 to 1:00:00 (or so) - Golden Cliffs saucer @ 20K loop
1:03:11 to 1:03:37 - Game over

...and the really fun one...

45:47 to 47:17 - Valley of Demons saucer (find a way to keep ball from ejecting until 46:16) sequence mixes down into either standard gameplay or Golden Cliffs loops depending on situation

I expect I can closely match the voiceover of this part of the track to say "The Valley of Demons is open" after the in-line drop targets have all been hit.

#8 9 years ago

Sweet! Good luck! Definitely an interesting project.

#9 9 years ago

You must post a video when you are done.

#10 9 years ago

Well I think I could make this happen for about $100. $50 for the MP3 trigger, $30 for the speaker set, and a couple other odds and ends.

QUESTION: Can I tap off the original switches to trip the MP3 triggers? Seems like I ought to be able to as long as I put a diode on the positive lead to the MP3 trigger board.

#11 9 years ago

Don't know. Must be a reason they didn't. Over my head there.

#12 9 years ago

I did a Three Stooges custom pinball machine with speech a few years back. I used chipcorders and wired up the playfield switches to a DPDT relay. Using a +12V supply, the playfield switch would close the circuit for the relay coil, closing two sets of contacts. One set of relay contacts went to the original playfield wiring (be sure to include the diode) and the other contacts on the relay triggered the speech from the chipcorder.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Don't know. Must be a reason they didn't. Over my head there.

Didn't do what? Add background music? Technology wasn't there yet.

Tap off a switch? They didn't have to, Bally designed the game. Had they been in the business of putting music in they would have incorporated it into their sound board to begin with.

#14 9 years ago

Eric_S, is it possible to use an AND circuit in reverse to do the same thing as a DPDT relay?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

Eric_S, is it possible to use an AND circuit in reverse to do the same thing as a DPDT relay?

I'm sure it is possible to do the same thing with solid state components, but I don't think an "AND" circuit is what you're looking for. In the Three Stooges, I used a summing amplifier circuit to tie all of the sound outputs to the same speaker.

#16 9 years ago

Here is the rough sound schematic I jotted down when I did my project.

Sound Schematic.JPGSound Schematic.JPG
#17 9 years ago

Thanks for posting the schematic. I have a Gottlieb Time Line that I'm planning on rethemeing. I'm obviously wanting t change the sounds and music, but I don't want to wire secondary switches everywhere.

#18 9 years ago

So I have to create Eric's circuit to use the same switches?

#19 9 years ago

No I was referring to the Ghostbusters custom. He used separate switches to do sound

#20 9 years ago

Yeah, I'd like to avoid using separate switches, though I will have to add a plunger switch.

4 weeks later
#21 9 years ago

Deckmanmark,

Here is a free website that lets you down load the sound track from a youtube video as a MP3 file.
Just copy the url of the youtube video into the field and click the convert video button.

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

And if I remember correctly the Ghostbuster pin used separate switches to avoid frying the mp3 trigger broad.

1 week later
#22 9 years ago

The youtube mp3 site only supports <20 min. video lengths. Doesn't work for the track I was attempting to pull from. But maybe I search for smaller clips that would satisfy.

#23 9 years ago

I did use separate switches for GB, but there are other ways this could be done. Just simply connecting the MP3 trigger to the game switches is going to blow some fuses or worse. I have seen some people use opto isolators to split the switch closure into two different signals. This seems to work well, but is somewhat costly. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other ways too. I just went with what seemed like the simplest way to get results at the time. I'm no technological guru.

Brian

#24 9 years ago

The main reason I feel there is a need to use game switches is that there are modes of game play that I would like to incorporate different music to, and would only be accomplished by using the logic coming from the MPU. It may not be possible without some significant engineering. My theory is actually not to attach the trigger to the physical switch, per se, but somehow route end result MPU pulses to the triggers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-voice-comments-on-a-previously-non-voice-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.