• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vortexramp.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sethbenjamin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I just got bit by the LED bug, and have been thinking up new ways to dress up my games. The big idea that I dreamed up yesterday is this: On Pinbot, there is a spiral ramp which you shoot from the plunger. both at the beginning of the ball and later as well. I would like to add color changer LEDs to the ramp WHICH COME ON WHEN THE BALL IS ON THE SHOOTER SWITCH. To make matters more complicated, the lights should stay on until the ball has cleared the ramp. There are 3 possible scoring switches, so how to get the lights to turn off at the right time is a bit of a challenge. The "off" relay would have to either be tied to all 3 switches, or be on a timer from when the ball leaves the shooter lane. Is this do-able?

#3 9 years ago

Hmm...I'm still trying to understand how to test things with the multimeter. So, I guess not...

But if I ever meet somebody like that and can get them over here, by God...

I can *imagine* a second switch at the ball trough, one activated by the existing switch arm. Probably easier to put the light on a timer. But also WAY easier to theorize about it than to actually do it.

#10 9 years ago

Ha, that's pretty cool - love the takeoff jet, the LED afterburners are great.
On Pinbot you would either figure out how to connect the shutoff switch to the gate at the bottom of the vortex ramp, or just have it on a timer. Maybe not quite as slick as a 2nd switch but easier?

Quoted from CNKay:

you have yourself a neat idea. but color changer for under a dark red plastic ramp?? i would think just a white to light it up.

I mostly want it for the strobing effect. I have RGB quick changers under the slingshot plastics and it's very dramatic. Was thinking of using the kind that have longer, positionable leads, so as to get the light closer to the holes. Ideally, these would only be lit when you're about to shoot the ramp. The rest of the time I would just have a couple of bright red static LEDs in the existing GI sockets.

As for the positioning being a PITA, believe me I've had this game stripped down a couple of times. I can practically re-assemble it blindfolded!

#12 9 years ago

It looks like this. It's a unique little Devo hat of a thing, basically a skill shot obstacle more than a ramp. You're shooting for the middle hole (100K) but if you overshoot you get 20K, undershoot and you get 5K. No matter which hole you drop the ball through, it exits the bottom of the ramp, into the pop bumpers. (Hard to see here as it is obscured by the gate, which is there to keep the ball from re-entering the ramp.) There is some space inside the Devo hat, and my first thought for a second switch position was to use an optical sensor just inside the exit hole. Seems easier than trying to engineer something to the exit gate? There is already a rollover at the exit, I would have to go look at the game again to tell you what its function is.

vortexramp.jpgvortexramp.jpg
#14 9 years ago

Yeah, it would be pretty quick. There are 2 GI bulbs in there already which light it up red. I'd be adding the color changers (or strobes or whatever) which would only be active at the beginning of the ball or when the ball returns to the plunger during a turn. Just a little visual interest. My half-formed idea on how this would work is: Switch #1 is a leaf switch; don't know whether it should be closed or open. This would somehow have to work with the existing trough switch, but that *seems* like it should be relatively easy. The relay would then keep current going to the (new) bulb outlets until the ball crosses the optical sensor at the exit hole. Assuming what I just described is a thing that can actually happen. The other option is to have switch #1 trigger a timer in the relay, but I realize I'm just imagining that and don't know if it is a thing that actually exists.

I need some specific pointers...I know I can order an opto from PinLife or Marco or wherever, but not sure what type of relay I'd be looking for, or how this would patch into existing power?
Can a standard switch such as comes with flipper rebuild kits be used for the first switch?

Too bad you're all the way in Buffalo, if you were closer by I'd say come over and I'll feed you beer until we work it out.

#18 9 years ago

Not sure if that's an option, though. Lane change switches have the *oomph* of a solenoid making sure they get good contact. Can you really count on the weight of the ball on that delicate rocker arm to establish that?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sethbenjamin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-switch-activated-leds?tu=sethbenjamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.