6EDBD1B2-32C3-4A6F-BDB3-9FBAE4AC7991.jpeg
12 (resized).jpg
112 (resized).jpg
11 (resized).jpg
5 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
y (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm going to document my process of adding sound and video to a 1978 Stern Nugent pinball.
We picked the machine up at a reasonable price in semi-working condition. After a few harness, connector & board repairs all was working well. We tore it down to the playfield, polished it up and replaced the lighting with LED lighting. The flippers have been rebuilt and now it is time to retire the blips beeps and bonks of the early Stern sounds. Ideally the pop bumpers will be a shot gun sound. The lane roll overs are going to be voice or sound relevant to the lane. We jhave not picked out the actual sounds for all switches yet.
The goal is to add a sparknet mp3 trigger for callouts to the pop bumpers and lane switches. I'm going to do this by stacking the switches to trigger the sounds.
For the drop targets I want to add video with the corresponding song.
We will be adding this to the Cat Scratch Fever drop targets, Free For all drop targets and a Stranglehold bonus target.
The video trigger will use custom brackets and switches added to the drop targets. For the video playback I am adding a small 5" display to the apron rather than the back glass.

The picture here shows the custom bracket 3D printed added to the drop targets. It is a simple rollover switch that is actuated when the third target is dropped and the targets reset.

Why am I choosing the components?
Why an apron display over back glass display?
I had the Mp3 trigger and the video trigger left over from a past unrelated project. They were sitting on the shelf collecting dust.
As far as the display in the apron it was far easier to add a display to the left side of the apron than rework the back glass and the head box interior. Used aprons are cheap so if it doesn't work out it is an easy fix to return to the previous condition.

Thanks,
Dave

11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg112 (resized).jpg112 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpgy (resized).jpgy (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Wango tango!

#3 2 years ago

We 3D printed isolator pads to insert in the reed switches. This way we can stack the switches and not worry about a voltage transfer. The mp3 trigger just needs a contact to close to trigger the sound.
Found out it is real easy to add isolator pucks to the insulation reed to whatever height I need.
The 3D modeling was done in TinkerCAD which is an amazingly simple free online software. 3D printing is done on a Prusa printer.

4E051633-852E-4639-A042-DC802516B044.jpeg4E051633-852E-4639-A042-DC802516B044.jpeg6EDBD1B2-32C3-4A6F-BDB3-9FBAE4AC7991.jpeg6EDBD1B2-32C3-4A6F-BDB3-9FBAE4AC7991.jpeg
#4 2 years ago

Looking good. I realize you already have the mp3 trigger board, but you may want to consider the Robertsonics WAV trigger board. It can play more than one sound at a time, and depending on what you've got planned, that may be useful.

Jeff

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Grangeomatic:

Looking good. I realize you already have the mp3 trigger board, but you may want to consider the Robertsonics WAV trigger board. It can play more than one sound at a time, and depending on what you've got planned, that may be useful.
Jeff

Thank you Jeff, I will check it out. We should have two sounds going at once. The video trigger also has sound. I'm using a small mixer to run both the MP3 trigger and the video trigger sounds into the amp at the same time. The video will play the "Sound track" and the MP3 will do call outs and switch sounds.
If I ever do this again it would be cool to be able to play more than sound from a WAV trigger. I am debating on the speaker placement. The cabinet is decent so I did not want to cut holes in it unless it was a last resort. I may do a speaker topper or have a speaker box that can attach to the bottom and be removeable.

#6 2 years ago

First tests on the video switches today. It went well.

Here is the video:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-sound-to-a-1978-stern-nugent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.