(Topic ID: 212667)

Adding Power Switch to GTB EM

By TheCnyPinGuy

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Fast-Draw-Work-21 (resized).jpg
    0Quick-Draw-Work-03 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0405 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0401 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0404 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0399 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Hi

I checked the forums and could not find anything concrete

I would like to add a on off switch to my 60s GTB

No I don’t wish to use a power bar etc

I already have the switch / base / wire / bit

It’s a Players Game not High End HUO

I read clays guide but no pictures

Do I just desolder one end of the main line fuse and splice in the game power switch wiring ?

Or is there something else to this

Thank you

#2 6 years ago

Yes, you are correct in your thinking. Just make sure that the switch is on the hot side of the power. (That's the smaller blade coming out of your wall.) You want to switch power, not the neutral, and you want to switch the power off going to the transformer, not after the transformer.

#3 6 years ago

I didn't this recently to my Aloha and followed the steps at http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Adding_an_On.2FOff_Switch_to_an_EM

Don't get me wrong, I read that and Clays guide about 3 times each to get the full picture of what I needed to do. All in all it went pretty smoothly

#4 6 years ago

It’s the original cord

How would I know the Hot Side ?

#5 6 years ago

Yikes - is one of the blades wider than the other? The smallest one will be the hot side.

#6 6 years ago

No :-/

it’s the original cord with a new plug on the end

#7 6 years ago

Check the forum for Vid's Guide on power cords. Lots of good info, and that will get you a polarized plug on the machine so that you will always have a fuse on the high side of power.

Without a polarized plug, you will always be taking a chance of switching the neutral instead of the hot side. Good luck.

Bill C

#8 6 years ago

Vid's guide on power cords is great, but doesn't cover the main ask here: adding a switch

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#9 6 years ago

Get rid of the original cord. I installed a brand-new three prong cord with a switch on my 1965 GTB Paradise. Works great. Just takes a little studying to get the wiring correct.

#10 6 years ago

Here is how I did it on my Gigi
    New cord, three prong.
    White is neutral, goes to the transformer.IMAG0399 (resized).jpgIMAG0399 (resized).jpg
    Green is ground, goes to one of the mounting lugs on the transformer. I installed a ring terminal. Ground braid that you should be installing also gets tied to that lug. Note that you see some copper ground wire in my photo and that would work but is way harder to work with. Pinball life sells ground braid.IMAG0405 (resized).jpgIMAG0405 (resized).jpg
    Black is hot, first goes an inline fuse, then to the switch, then back to the original game fuse. 4 amp, 250 volt is probably big enough, my schematics call for a 10 amp. I ran my hot wire along the underside of the board on the right. When it leaves the switch it runs back under the board and then gets soldered onto the original game fuse. Heat shrink is good to keep the wires tidy.
    Note that games with a service outlet want the fuse AFTER the service outlet so you can use the outlet even if the game blows the fuse. My inline fuse is redundant and could have been left out.
    Switch - you'll need to cut a hole for it. I cut a 1" hole and it's smaller than it should be.IMAG0404 (resized).jpgIMAG0404 (resized).jpg My Earthshaker has a 1 3/4" hole and that's fine. You'll need some sort of backing plate to mount the switch, I used a fake 1 oz silver bar (F U Craigslist seller, lol).IMAG0401 (resized).jpgIMAG0401 (resized).jpg

1 year later
    #11 5 years ago

just picked up anther quick draw and the power swich has been disconected so i am going to reconnect it .The hot wire in my other quick draw is wired to the 5amp fuse first then to the switch then to the transformer is this correct or ? .
    Raff

#12 5 years ago

Its normally switch then fuse but it really doesnt matter. Think of house wiring... fuse then switch

#13 5 years ago

Hi Raff
    I show the part of the schematics (squeezed a bit) - I would wire the new switch exactly as shown in the schematics. It is dangerous altering connections / switches in a pin - think of a latter owner wanting and doing "using his old paper-schematics" to the pin.
    YOU, please - always have in mind: When the pin is plugged-in there is "hot line current" on the fuse --- NEVER have the line cord plugged-in, then fumbling on the fuse.
    Please read (from "A true story ...") https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skylab-my-first-pin-with-reels-#post-4469763 --- and here (the last paragraph) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-start-sequence-power-issues#post-4752800 --- I do it and I often write the advice: "not only toggle-off - do unplug the main power cord when You do not need electricity in the pin". Greetings Rolf

0Quick-Draw-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Quick-Draw-Work-03 (resized).jpg
    #14 5 years ago

Hi Rolf i always unplug the chord if i work on the pin and if i am not playing it.
    So looking at the schematics its hot to the fuse then switch then to the transformer.

#15 5 years ago

Hi Raff
    I live in Switzerland (south of Germany), we have 220VAC line current tacting 50 Hertz. See here https://www.reichelt.de/schraubendreher-phasenpruefer-schlitz-3-0-mm-phasenpruefer-p22708.html - a little screwdriver with an Test-Lamp inside --- look here https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spannungspr%C3%BCfer , scroll down to the sixth picture --- see the lamp inside the screwdriver lighting up --- there is phase / power / hot. That You connect to fuse then toggle-switch then transformer-Hot-Side --- IF, if You'd be in the USA having 110VAC line current. --- But, I see You live in Australia - do You have 110VAC or 220VAC ? If You do have 110VAC: Go head and mount the toggle-switch / If You do have 220VAC: You'd need the schematics for the 220VAC wiring or ask an electricien. It is too risky for me to give advices on "line current in an land 'other than Switzerland' ". You should talk with an australian electricien. Greetings Rolf

#16 5 years ago

Thanks rolf Australia is 230v

#17 5 years ago

Hi Raff
    look here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-dodge-city-doingjust-weird-stuff#post-3304560 the first JPG is a picture from my Gottlieb Orbit, 220VAC driven, complicated wiring.
    Here I show from "Fast Draw, Coin-Wiring" - Gottlieb simply do not show the complicated stuff. When Your problem is "simply replace an old toggle-switch by an new toggle switch" - You may just replace. When it comes to "check wiring and find the right place in the wiring for an new toggle-switch": You then should talk with an electricien. Greetings Rolf
    0Fast-Draw-Work-21 (resized).jpg0Fast-Draw-Work-21 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.