(Topic ID: 272607)

Adding Pinball Machines to a business.......Thinking About it.....

By Chicoman

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by QuietEarp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So I am going to opening up a business in the near future.....a small service business....a unisex salon to be exact. I've often thought of creating a REC.ROOM.......in another room as part of the business filled with Pinball Machines, soda fountain and possibly a Chexx Bubble Hockey for people to enjoy while they wait for a service. As a lifelong pinhead I can repair almost any machine and do the work on them myself. I would vend the machines at a cost of .50 or .75 per game depending on the machine. Just wondering what people think of a idea like this? I've never seen anyone do anything like this before and I am slightly nervous but I don't see me taking a bath on the entire thing either as pinball machines seem to hold their value for the most part.

Anyone want to interject their 2 cents into this.....Just curious.

Thanks for the Feedback.

#2 3 years ago

I suggest that you check your local government on what is required to operate amusement machines.
    In some places a sticker of some sort is required for the state and sometimes, the city.
    In some places where gambling machines have become an issue for law enforcement, the license and stickers that are required, can be expensive.

#3 3 years ago

As Dent00 pointed out.

I'd go to the city hall in the city you plan to do this in. They can tell you about zoning ordinances, if you can have machines in your business. And also licenses required. Could be on your business, you, and each machine.

I wouldn't try without this. Some cities confiscate non licensed equipment or have fines if caught.

Best wishes on your endeavor.

LTG : )

#4 3 years ago

Agreed with above comments. Check for zoning issues and tax requirements but if you can get past that stuff why not give it a try.

We have a barber shop in town that has a pool table in it that looks like a cool place and is always busy. I have a regular barber I have been using for years so I have never been in the place but they seem to be doing everything right judging by the number of people I typically see inside. People like to keep busy so why not a small arcade while they are waiting or after they are finished?

#5 3 years ago

DO NOT ask the local government what the rules are.

At best, they do not know the EXACT rules, and much of what they say could be wrong.

At worst, they tell you something that serves their interests and not yours.

Go right to the source..... www.municode.com

Click on "library" tab.

READ the section of the code that has anything to do with "Coin operated" "Games" and "Vending"

If the code says "coin operated amusement game" and yours is on free play, BINGO! you are exempt.

Many other quirks remain in old sections of code written as long as 50 years ago. But.... THE LAW IS THE LAW!

Don't trust leaders.....watch your parking meters!

#6 3 years ago

I've seen something similar done at a few select barbershops in and around military bases. No pins, but computers and console video games. The one I went to in Quantico town had this set up. That was a very captive audience though. Only incorporated town IN a military base in the USA.

#7 3 years ago

Keep in mind that some cities don't have any rules regarding pins. Search the site linked above and if you don't find anything, check the city's website using the same search terms. If you still don't find anything, a visit to city hall may be in order. Generally speaking, the farther east you live, the more likely a license and/ or permits are required.

If there are any other pins on location in town, you could politely ask the owner of the business what was required. Good luck!

#8 3 years ago

Well several local malls have arcades but those are just mostly ticket redemption with a few arcades....some of the larger re-creations of Space Invaders, etc. I'm looking to create a classic pinball arcade within a salon.....almost like a rec room. I will check tomorrow....unfortunately my county is not listed on municode.com so I couldn't check there. Thank you for the feedback. Everyone I talk to seems to like the idea for the business....as it's something to do while you wait for a service or wait for someone getting a service. I'll keep you posted.....I'm looking to create an bring the enjoyable experience of pinball to the mainstream by offering it for play. We don't really have any type of classic pinball related stuff in our area except for a few bars that have pinball machines within them.

#9 3 years ago

Keep at least 1-2 machines in reserve so that you can rotate. If a game has persistent problems, rotate it out and fix it at home while its spot is filled with a spare game.

Tim Arnold could have told you how much difference LED bulbs made in his electric bill.
    .................David Marston

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

We don't really have any type of classic pinball related stuff in our area except for a few bars that have pinball machines within them.

I suggest that you check those machines in the bars and see if they have stickers on them or ask if the required stickers are held behind the bar.
    Some bars might also incorporate the pinball machines into an amusement license for the rest of the machines in the establishment.
    So, if they don't have stickers on them, you should not take that as indication that stickers are not required.
    Usually, in order to purchase the stickers yearly, you usually have to also purchase a license as an amusement vendor.
    This is all in the idea that the machines are not placed on free play.
    At least, this is what I have seen in my area.

#11 3 years ago

Mom's Organic Market in College Park is like this. Grocery Store with a large collection of machines as the owner is a pinhead.

I agree with checking all ordinances. Don't want to get in any trouble or create more problems than it may be worth.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-pinball-machines-to-a-businessthinking-about-it?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.