Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FA1B4099-31E0-4CC6-8485-B708DAAC0B40 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.04.02 PM (resized).png
    IMG_20200328_185542 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200229_211328 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

So, I currently have 2 Spike era games both with Pinstadium lighting on them. I love the extra lighting, but hate dealing with the strips when raising and lowering the playfield. Plus, the magnetic strips often want to separate and require reattatchment. So, I'm thinking about removing the Pinstadium kits, and adding LED spotlights instead. Is this an issue on the Spike systems? What's the best wiring option? How many can be added? Etc..... All help is much appreciated.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

So, I currently have 2 Spike era games both with Pinstadium lighting on them. I love the extra lighting, but hate dealing with the strips when raising and lowering the playfield. Plus, the magnetic strips often want to separate and require reattatchment. So, I'm thinking about removing the Pinstadium kits, and adding LED spotlights instead. Is this an issue on the Spike systems? What's the best wiring option? How many can be added? Etc..... All help is much appreciated.

Did you look into the "Hover" option on the Pinstadium lights? They are adjustable mounts for them so they attach to the playfield instead of the sides of the cabinet. With them installed you can raise and lower the playfield without having to detach and reattach the Pinstadium lights.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Did you look into the "Hover" option on the Pinstadium lights? They are adjustable mounts for them so they attach to the playfield instead of the sides of the cabinet. With them installed you can raise and lower the playfield without having to detach and reattach the Pinstadium lights.

I have seen those, and correct me if I'm wrong, but dont the hovers attatch to the playfield using some sort of double sided tape? I'm thinking I want to get away from all forms of magnetic tape or sticky tape.

#4 4 years ago

We sell spotlight kits which have a few different ways to attach to the GI on Spike 2 games. One option is alligator clips to the lugs of a GI socket, and another is to replace a GI bulb with one of our bulbs that has a built in connector.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/spotlight-kit

If you look at our Deadpool Kit, you can see how big of a difference they make.

I’d recommend two double spotlight kits, one on top of each sling, matched to the GI color of your game. Which game is it?

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

We sell spotlight kits which have a few different ways to attach to the GI on Spike 2 games. One option is alligator clips to the lugs of a GI socket, and another is to replace a GI bulb with one of our bulbs that has a built in connector.
    https://www.cometpinball.com/products/spotlight-kit
    If you look at our Deadpool Kit, you can see how big of a difference they make.
    I’d recommend two double spotlight kits, one on top of each sling, matched to the GI color of your game. Which game is it?

GOTG and JP. I also have an RBION may convert. I truly need the extra light that the pinstadiums provide, but the mounting system is just wearing thin on me. Permanent, bolt down spotlights are looking pretty good to me right now. I'll check out that link immediately.

#6 4 years ago

Sweet! GOTG uses Cool White for the GI I believe, and JP uses Warm White from the factory.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Sweet! GOTG uses Cool White for the GI I believe, and JP uses Warm White from the factory.

I'm assuming your GI socket replacement has a bulb inside of it, then the plug coming out to feed the spotlights? Is there any danger to overloading the Spike system if I went crazy and added say 10 or 12 spots throughout the machine?

#8 4 years ago

I'm assuming your GI socket replacement has a bulb inside of it, then the plug coming out to feed the spotlights? Is there any danger to overloading the Spike system if I went crazy and added say 10 or 12 spots throughout the machine?

10-12 spotlights? You're not going to get the "power" of Pinstadiums from spotlights. With that said, I wouldn't make pinstadium the standard either.

Best way is to use Ryan's spotlight kit and tap off of a GI bulb, or buy individual spotlights from Pinball Life or PB Resource and do the same. you shouldn't need any additional hardware. Just find a spot that doesn't obscure the ball and solder some wiring to a GI bulb. Add in your choice of wedge bulb. In your case, you'll want some kind of white. Just 2 or 3 spotlights should be enough. I usually go with one on one of the slings, and one midfield, both pointing towards the back of the game.

#9 4 years ago

... So, I'm thinking about removing the Pinstadium kits...

Scribbles & Ryan let me know if there's anything I can do to help, every soul we save matters!

#10 4 years ago

I've been wondering about adding some lights that are insert-controlled. Is there a way to do this on a spike 2 game, other than by rewiring something? I've considered just making a 2-way adapter to the light board I'm interested in.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ryan let me know if there's anything I can do to help, every soul we save matters!

Lol, lol, yes.... I know..... BUT I love the extra light. I'm just tired of maintaining the mounting system. So, I'm considering spots. In fact, I need the extra light, my eyes arent what they used to be

#12 4 years ago

Comet's spotlight kits are great. Here's a before and after of my Deadpool with a single pair installed. (Note that there's more going on here than just the spotlights; their DP kit also gets rid of the horrid red GI.)

IMG_20200229_211328 (resized).jpgIMG_20200229_211328 (resized).jpgIMG_20200328_185542 (resized).jpgIMG_20200328_185542 (resized).jpg
    #13 4 years ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Comet's spotlight kits are great. Here's a before and after of my Deadpool with a single pair installed. (Note that there's more going on here than just the spotlights; their DP kit also gets rid of the horrid red GI.)[quoted image][quoted image]

So besides the clear GI, you have 1 comet single spotlight on each sling illuminating the center of the playfield? Looks much better!

#14 4 years ago

I have seen those, and correct me if I'm wrong, but dont the hovers attatch to the playfield using some sort of double sided tape? I'm thinking I want to get away from all forms of magnetic tape or sticky tape.

I believe the hovers stick to the playfield or the plastics. I think this depends on the game and what is along the edge of each side of the playfield.

#15 4 years ago

So besides the clear GI, you have 1 comet single spotlight on each sling illuminating the center of the playfield? Looks much better!

Yeah, I did one on each sling. If you did the doubles it wouldn't be Pinstadium bright, but I bet it would illuminate the middle quite nicely.

#16 4 years ago

Yeah, I did one on each sling. If you did the doubles it wouldn't be Pinstadium bright, but I bet it would illuminate the middle quite nicely.

I believe this may be the way to go. I'm expecting delivery of a NGG pretty soon, I'll order some assorted spots from comet and try them out there first before yanking the pinstadiums out.

#17 4 years ago

I'm assuming your GI socket replacement has a bulb inside of it, then the plug coming out to feed the spotlights?

Yes, looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.04.02 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.04.02 PM (resized).png

Is there any danger to overloading the Spike system if I went crazy and added say 10 or 12 spots throughout the machine?

It's embarrassing that I don't know the answer to this...but does the GI have it's own fuse on Spike games? All previous systems have them, but I couldn't find anything int the manual for GOTG other than a single 8A fuse (but I don't know what that goes to).

For games with a separate fuse for GI, the worst you could do by overloading is blow the fuse.

So, I've never tried to overload. You'd be fine with several sets of spots, but I don't know where the limit is.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I've been wondering about adding some lights that are insert-controlled. Is there a way to do this on a spike 2 game, other than by rewiring something? I've considered just making a 2-way adapter to the light board I'm interested in.

For games that have socketed inserts, you can use quick connect bulbs to power mods that are driven by the state of whatever insert you want. Unfortunately, we don't have anything that would work for Spike LED boards, but would love to have a product like that.

Comet's spotlight kits are great. Here's a before and after of my Deadpool with a single pair installed. (Note that there's more going on here than just the spotlights; their DP kit also gets rid of the horrid red GI.)

Beautiful before and after...thanks for posting!! It's neat that Stern is trying stuff out, but the stock red GI along the sides of Deadpool was a "miss", in our opinion.

Actually, Stern's factory GI was Cool White and Red, both with clear lenses. What you see in the pic is frosted sunlight bulbs (of the same brightness). It sounds like you (OP) want to smooth out the brightness so that it's more even (and not so dark in the center of the playfield). Frosted GI bulbs would help with this...they're less harsh on the eyes than the clear lenses can be.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Best way is to use Ryan's spotlight kit and tap off of a GI bulb, or buy individual spotlights from Pinball Life or PB Resource and do the same. you shouldn't need any additional hardware. Just find a spot that doesn't obscure the ball and solder some wiring to a GI bulb. Add in your choice of wedge bulb. In your case, you'll want some kind of white. Just 2 or 3 spotlights should be enough. I usually go with one on one of the slings, and one midfield, both pointing towards the back of the game.

Our spotlight kit is a convenience for people who don't want to figure out which parts they need (it comes with #6 and #8 hex posts, and multiple types of connectors)...but we do have all of the individual components for sale as well (and in fact, they're listed out on the Spotlight product page). Soldering does always make a better and more permanent connection, if you know that's what you want.

For the back, you can also add longer strips (a 50SMD strip is the right length) and stick them underneath the back lip near where the glass slides in. You might still get a little reflection on the playfield or plastics depending on the game. After installing it, you can lift the playfield without worrying about it. Our Twilight Zone kit includes this, so you could look at that to see pics and video (and I have mine attached through one of our brightness adjusters, so you can turn it down the brightness if needed).

Thanks everyone who has put in a good word for Comet products!

#18 4 years ago

Here’s our game with a white backboard light and a white trough light, everything else in the pic is stock lighting. We have these strips custom made and they put out a lot of light. You could add two more spotlights in the middle and that would give you plenty of light. If you can’t solder, I could wire up spotlights so you could easily connect to your game.

https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fdeadpool-pinball-led-strip-backboard-light-kit

https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fdeadpool-pinball-led-strip-trough-light-kit

Someone asked about triggering off insert lighting, you can’t do it unless you tap into the wiring, which I would not advise doing, or you can solder to a light board if that’s how the insert is lit. You can use a relay system if you want a mod to trigger off an insert, we do this for many of our mods.

FA1B4099-31E0-4CC6-8485-B708DAAC0B40 (resized).jpegFA1B4099-31E0-4CC6-8485-B708DAAC0B40 (resized).jpeg
    #19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Here’s our game with a white backboard light and a white trough light, everything else in the pic is stock lighting. We have these strips custom made and they put out a lot of light. You could add two more spotlights in the middle and that would give you plenty of light. If you can’t solder, I could wire up spotlights so you could easily connect to your game.
    https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fdeadpool-pinball-led-strip-backboard-light-kit
    https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fdeadpool-pinball-led-strip-trough-light-kit
    Someone asked about triggering off insert lighting, you can’t do it unless you tap into the wiring, which I would not advise doing, or you can solder to a light board if that’s how the insert is lit. You can use a relay system if you want a mod to trigger off an insert, we do this for many of our mods.[quoted image]

Thanks guys!

I am thinking of making a harness that will allow me to run wires from the board in question (this is on an EHOH) but is removeable without damaging the game. I -think- I have the right connectors.

#20 4 years ago

Just a word of caution that modern Sterns are built using properly calculated power budgets. A node board may detect fault if you overdraw power.

If you are adding a lot of lights, I'd consider an additional power supply or pulling power somewhere other than existing bulbs.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Just a word of caution that modern Sterns are built using properly calculated power budgets. A node board may detect fault if you overdraw power.
    If you are adding a lot of lights, I'd consider an additional power supply or pulling power somewhere other than existing bulbs.

Aah thanks for the heads up!

#22 4 years ago

"It's embarrassing that I don't know the answer to this...but does the GI have it's own fuse on Spike games?"

I dont know the answer to that either

#23 4 years ago

"It's embarrassing that I don't know the answer to this...but does the GI have it's own fuse on Spike games?"

I don't think so, they are driven by node boards, which shut down if they sense a short or overload.

#24 4 years ago

I think there is only the main power fuse in SPIKE 2 games. I believe some of the early SPIKE 1 boards were fused, but people come to discover the boards would blow before the fuses did...so they just removed the fuses from the boards all together.

#25 4 years ago

...and try them out there first before yanking the pinstadiums out.

dammit...so close.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-lighting-to-a-spike-game-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.