139_(resized).jpg
135_(resized).jpg
125_(resized).jpg
9329b636076a5ba3a8d3d41770868ba358af5826_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

So we have all seen this before: light on the Swamp in TAF, SOL hole in AFM, Rats or Mystery hole on BSD. I am attempting it on my AFM SOL hole.

Simple enough: a 555 light socket screwed to the underbody of the PF, one hex screw to hold it in place, wire and alligator clips to the socket to supply the power. Got it.

Here's my question(s) for those who have done it themselves - these scoops are pretty closed off assemblies with 4 welded walls allowing for what looks like minimal area for the light to shine through. If you have your playfield up and leaning back, where exactly are you mounting the light for maximum effect? Are you mounting on the side or directly in front of the scoop to allow light to hit the main body of the scoop? Are you using regular bulbs or special ones like the flex-head LEDs that can be twisted and moved around?

I'm am all about "DIY"ing; I just want to get this right the first time - hence my questions. Thanks everyone!

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

So we have all seen this before: light on the Swamp in TAF, SOL hole in AFM, Rats or Mystery hole on BSD. I am attempting it on my AFM SOL hole.
Simple enough: a 555 light socket screwed to the underbody of the PF, one hex screw to hold it in place, wire and alligator clips to the socket to supply the power. Got it.
Here's my question(s) for those who have done it themselves - these scoops are pretty closed off assemblies with 4 welded walls allowing for what looks like minimal area for the light to shine through. If you have your playfield up and leaning back, where exactly are you mounting the light for maximum effect? Are you mounting on the side or directly in front of the scoop to allow light to hit the main body of the scoop? Are you using regular bulbs or special ones like the flex-head LEDs that can be twisted and moved around?
I'm am all about "DIY"ing; I just want to get this right the first time - hence my questions. Thanks everyone!

On a RS I was able to mount above the plunger to light the start city. On my Wh2O and GnR, I drilled a small hole on the side to let the light through

#3 8 years ago

Quick bump for more ideas here.

#4 8 years ago

Can you stick a small LED strip inside there and still have it out of the way of the ball and any switches instead? Maybe take the scoop out and then just feed the wire thru a seem or hole or make a small hole? Either stick the strip to the scoop somehow or maybe stick it to the underside of the play field inside the scoop area? If there's room...

Ehh, never mind that - the light probably wouldn't glow up and out, it's probably better to get it pointing up out of the hole somehow.

#5 8 years ago

I'm working on some ideas. I don't want to make any permanent modifications (drilling holes) to accomplish this.

The mod should be 100% reversible.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

The mod should be 100% reversible.

I agree, it's the only way to do them in my opinion as well. Bumpity' bump!

#7 8 years ago

I love adding lights everywhere.

Comet has nice flexes and and coin taker has some longer ones and some with 2 LEDs.

http://cointaker.com/products/555-super-2flex

I use super brights where I have nice amounts of room and flex when there is just a small crack in the metal.

I put them in all the fun spots I can. Here are 2 in whirlwind. One in each hole. I did drill a hole in the wood for the 555 socket for those 2 but in Addams family, a lot of the lights I added didn't need holes because they had a nearby screw already.

Addams family has orange in chair, color changer in swamp hole, red and green in the thing ramp, red and green in vault hole, a purple in the out hole and a green under the green plastic under the ramp on the left. Some holes I had to drill and some I didn't. I didn't care if they were reversible though. I just wanted it beautiful.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I put them in all the fun spots I can.

Really nice looking lights on your Whirlwind! I might consider doing that, although it might be interesting to wire those lamps up to sync up with the indicator lights above the cellars. Might have to try that too...

#9 8 years ago

I used regular (not flex) LEDs for the chair on TAF. There is plenty of room. Remove the scoop and mount them just above the chair opening (as you're looking at the bottom of the raised playfield) pointing down.

When a ball is in the scoop, there is clearance between the ball and playfield.

Rather than alligator clips, I soldered the sockets and used connectors in the middle of the wire run so they could be easily removed, yet secure so you don't have to worry about accidentally shorting something.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Really nice looking lights on your Whirlwind! I might consider doing that, although it might be interesting to wire those lamps up to sync up with the indicator lights above the cellars. Might have to try that too...

No I just hooked them up to the gi. I figured the left hole would be barely ever lit and not worth the work. And I couldn't do the right without the left. So I just did both to gi and it looks pretty all the time.

Here's blurry picture but you get the idea.

9329b636076a5ba3a8d3d41770868ba358af5826_(resized).jpg9329b636076a5ba3a8d3d41770868ba358af5826_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago

I forgot to mention it's better the solder right to another light socket which is reversible and much safer than alligator clips but floyd1977 beat me to it.

#12 8 years ago

Matrix can be of help with an insert or GI bulb with tap, and LED Pad of 6 SMD, Strip, or circle.
Matrix pre-wired, plug and play sockets will be arriving soon.

http://www.cometpinball.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1871

#13 8 years ago

Can someone who has done this mod take a picture of the underside of the PF. Descriptions for this seem easy to read but hard to visualize. Thanks!

Drilling a small mounting hole is understandable. I just don't want to go drilling holes in ball mechanisms or scoop bodies or anything crazy.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Can someone who has done this mod take a picture of the underside of the PF. Descriptions for this seem easy to read but hard to visualize. Thanks!
Drilling a small mounting hole is understandable. I just don't want to go drilling holes in ball mechanisms or scoop bodies or anything crazy.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-fester-scoop-dual-led

#15 8 years ago

I have added lights to scoops and saucers and lots of other things...I would not advise alligator clips on anything (except for testing purposes to figure out where you want to put the socket and where to run the wires so they are out of the way of everything) everything should either be soldered to existing lights or wire and connectors added. Alligator clips leave too much room for trouble later. (especially with a shaker motor) they can come loose and short other things, or if you're lucky just come loose and quit working. (which requires lifting PF and reconnecting them to have the chance of shorting next time they come loose)

Phoebe

1 week later
#16 8 years ago

Anybody have a picture of this on a Twilight Zone? slot machine, piano, or entry?

#17 8 years ago

Depends on the scoop but I almost always use flex bulbs. Sometimes you can aim it thru the hole created by the plunger.

#18 8 years ago

Sounds great. Just wondering what kind of looks the best. anybody have one on their Twilight Zone?

#19 8 years ago

Here is a saucer light add on that I installed on a clients T2. Simple and reversible.

125_(resized).jpg125_(resized).jpg

135_(resized).jpg135_(resized).jpg

139_(resized).jpg139_(resized).jpg

141_(resized).jpg141_(resized).jpg

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Here is a saucer light add on that I installed on a clients T2. Simple and reversible.

125_(resized).jpg135_(resized).jpg139_(resized).jpg141_(resized).jpg

Nice, using the cable clamp. I'll have to remember that.

7 years later
#21 69 days ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I love adding lights everywhere.
Comet has nice flexes and and coin taker has some longer ones and some with 2 LEDs.
http://cointaker.com/products/555-super-2flex
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So you just used the cointakers 555-super-2flex for ALL the ADDAMS FAMILY scoop LEDS? with out much drilling?Just pointing it to the correct directions you wanted it to be at? BTW it looks very Bright and clean

#22 69 days ago

I use Comet Matrix for all of my additional lighting. For flipper buttons and saucers I use non-ghosting dual head flex bulbs, for scoops, under plastics, center drain, and backboard I use LED strips. I always run wiring to the underside of playfield and use alligator clips to tap into GI bulb.

When using Matrix wedge sockets and bulbs, I just use a little dab of hot glue to secure the bulb to the socket.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 21.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-lighting-to-a-ball-scoop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.