(Topic ID: 60770)

Adding LED's to Jurassic Park? Use a kit or buy individually? Post your thoughts

By Starscream

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-01-24-23-52-13 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-01-24-23-52-13 (resized).png
JP_LEDs (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0614.JPG
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Would like to add LEDs to my jurassic park pin,

I'd like to follow the same kinda lighting as stock but just brighten and crisp it up with LEDs,
What has JP owners here done and found to be the best way of adding them to this title?

Best place to get them etc etc,
Is it worth buying a kit like the one Marco has or buying them one by one?
Seems like quite a few lol,

Please help me out and feel free to post pics showing what you guys did the are so many options out there I'd like to get it right first time

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Would like to add LEDs to my Jurassic Park pin,
I'd like to follow the same kinda lighting as stock but just brighten and crisp it up with LEDs,
What has JP owners here done and found to be the best way of adding them to this title?
Best place to get them etc etc,
Is it worth buying a kit like the one Marco has or buying them one by one?
Seems like quite a few lol,
Please help me out and feel free to post pics showing what you guys did the are so many options out there I'd like to get it right first time

Buy individually and save yourself a ton of money. Pinball Life has ablaze 1 LEDs for $.39 each before quantity discount.

#3 10 years ago

Cointaker kits are very tasteful IMO...they have many different types to choose from...depending on how much you want to LED

Les is right PBL has good ones for a nice price...the single LED's are closer to incandescent bulbs. Not bright enough for me though....GL and enjoy

http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc?categoryId=70

#4 10 years ago

Godammit how many times do we have to tell you not to use a kit is anyone ever going to listen?!?
Just kidding.

But seriously NO on the kit...eXpecially for that machine. JP has all those little tiny inserts that a 39cent pinball life ablaze 1 works great in...no need to get bigger than that for those.
You can get those first, and then see if they look bright enough in the bigger inserts. If not then you'll have to go bigger,

Cointaker or pinballlife are good. Nifty always posts around here I've just never personally used them. I always tell people to go with Cointaker frosteds.
Good luck

#5 10 years ago

I did the LED's individually for CV and had gone by the manual....made the rookie mistake in thinking the manual listed them all......wrong. Had to buy more for the GI after the fact since the manual didn't list....6 bucks lost in extra shipping fees for a second shipment. I am cheap, could have gotten more LED's for that money

#6 10 years ago

The 39c pinball life ones disperse the light enough to look ok?

And which ones? Flat concave or frosted?

You can't do led flashers right? Just the gi and cont lighting?

And get them in all white?

Sorry to ask n00b questions about LEDs lol

#7 10 years ago

The Albaze 1's work well in the GI, 3's work well under plastics depending on the color. I used a lot of flat top whites in my GI on EATPM, some colored 3's and sprinkled in some colored 1's with the 3's under some plastics to match the colors of the plastics and it looks nice. PBL does make the LED flashers too. Color match the inserts if your doing them also.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

The 39c pinball life ones disperse the light enough to look ok?
And which ones? Flat concave or frosted?
You can't do led flashers right? Just the gi and cont lighting?
And get them in all white?
Sorry to ask n00b questions about LEDs lol

LED Flashers are expensive and pointless IMO.
If you can, frosteds work in the most applications. Worry aboot inserts first.

Please refer to the sticky thread aboot LEDs
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-information-all-you-wanted-to-know

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

The Albaze 1's work well in the GI, 3's work well under plastics depending on the color. I used a lot of flat top whites in my GI on EATPM, some colored 3's and sprinkled in some colored 1's with the 3's under some plastics to match the colors of the plastics and it looks nice. PBL does make the LED flashers too. Color match the inserts if your doing them also.

Don't try to put Ablaze 1's under plastics, not enough light. 3's do work well.

#10 10 years ago

A few 1's with 3's depending on what pin and where there located works well, at least in my case. But here, everyone's opinion matters and should be taken into consideration.

#11 10 years ago

So under the play field plastics I'd want the 3 led lights color matched to the plastic?
So JP has a lot of blue down the bottom and I think green up the top for the "jungle" section,

Then all the gi under the play field the ablaze 1's would be fine, in white or try to color match what they fit under?

And do these LEDs provide 180* illumination or just point straight up? I'm wondering as a few things in the play field would need something 180* like the trex light, the amber mosquito light, the 4 trex bounty lights and the bunker control room lights,

Just really want to get this right lol

#12 10 years ago

It kind of depends on the game. I'm not real familiar with JP. Just giving some input as to what has worked for me. I think they disperse light very well IMO. I did some trial and error. Get some some sample packs from PBL and add a couple 1's and 3's to see what might work better. Depends on how bright you want it too. I do not like the concave. Most lighting under the playfield (inserts), I would go 3's and match the color.

#13 10 years ago

My 2 cents. Depends on the pin.....bulbs types differ from game to game.

Ablaze 1's in the GI...44/47 bulbs I believe
Ablaze 3's under plastics...44/47 bulbs I believe...some are 555's though.
Ablaze 3's wedges...555's I believe in the inserts

44/47's have rounded bottom that you twist into socket. 555's have a wedge style bottom that push into socket

#14 10 years ago

Awesome thanks guys,

What's the best for spotlights? There are 2 in this game pointing right at the Rex head, do these LEDs look good as spots?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Awesome thanks guys,
What's the best for spotlights? There are 2 in this game pointing right at the Rex head, do these LEDs look good as spots?

I would say 3's would look fine....will depend on the color you want spot light

#16 10 years ago

Never used them as spotlights, i'm sure they'd do fine. What bulbs are they?

#17 10 years ago

My buddy has a blue retro from Cointaker in his Tron. It's a 44/47. Ablaze 3 is pretty equivalent

#18 10 years ago

The Ablaze 3 blues look very nice. For the prices, you can't beat them.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Never used them as spotlights, i'm sure they'd do fine. What bulbs are they?

I think the spots are 555's with those chrome lampshade shape trims

#20 10 years ago

I would then try the 555 wedge Ablaze 3's in the color you want. 4's may be a bit too much, BUT, if you ever get some 4's like I did, and they were a bit too bright in some spots, there is a way to tone them down I discovered.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I would then try the 555 wedge Ablaze 3's in the color you want. 4's may be a bit too much, BUT, if you ever get some 4's like I did, and they were a bit too bright in some spots, there is a way to tone them down I discovered.

Totally agree

#22 10 years ago

I have a real potpourri of lights on mine.

I tried out pinballbulbs.com and ordered color-matching clear dome 44/47's and 555's for inserts. I also used frosted and clear for topside and like the results. I had some Ablaze 3&4's left over that I sprinkled in as well. I used Ablaze blue 4's on the large blue inserts. I added a spot light with an Ablaze 3 white in it. Color changing for the "shoot again" insert. LED strip behind the rear banner. Plus there's still a few incandescent bulbs here and there.

It was trial and error for me until I found the mix I like, of course everyone has different taste.

Here's a good read on JP mods and lighting if you haven't already seen this:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/share-your-jurassic-park-mods

IMG_0614.JPGIMG_0614.JPG

#23 10 years ago

Ok one more Q before I get a set,

Does this pin require the more expensive ghostbusters?
Or will the regular blazers do ok?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=741&categoryId=-1

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Does this pin require the more expensive ghostbusters?Or will the regular blazers do ok?

Not sure if JP has much of a ghosting issue or not.....you can always go with regular Ablaze and then add a few ghost busters if needed later. Always good to have extra's.....for the next pin you get later down the road

#26 10 years ago

I always buy individually. Much cheaper and you can tailor to your needs. There's a lot of options with Cointaker, Pinball Life, Pinballbulbs and I'm trying Comet Pinball for my Shadow. I've used them all to good results.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

I have a real potpourri of lights on mine.
I tried out pinballbulbs.com and ordered color-matching clear dome 44/47's and 555's for inserts. I also used frosted and clear for topside and like the results. I had some Ablaze 3&4's left over that I sprinkled in as well. I used Ablaze blue 4's on the large blue inserts. I added a spot light with an Ablaze 3 white in it. Color changing for the "shoot again" insert. LED strip behind the rear banner. Plus there's still a few incandescent bulbs here and there.
It was trial and error for me until I found the mix I like, of course everyone has different taste.
Here's a good read on JP mods and lighting if you haven't already seen this:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/share-your-jurassic-park-mods

Gorgeous. Do you have a list of the bulbs and where you put them?

#28 10 years ago

Your JP looks awesome Ron!

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Your JP looks awesome Ron!

+1. Awesome lighting. I like the mods too.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Gorgeous. Do you have a list of the bulbs and where you put them?

Thanks guys!

Sorry, no list. You'll have to do it the hard way like I did. I looked under the pf and color matched the ones I needed as well as if it was a 44/47 or 555. Then I looked at the top-side and estimated what I needed there, plus ordered a few extra of each in case I wanted to change things around. I also had left overs from a previous order.

I did make a list for an order, but I was doing two pins at the same time, so that wouldn't help you.

Figuring out what you need is half the fun!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

I ordered regular LED's and didn't notice any ghosting, there is a little from the scoop icon lights but not noticeable while playing.

5 years later
#32 5 years ago

I am interested in buying them individually. How many of each color do i need?

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Try 100 warm whites...that'll get you pretty far.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Try 100 warm whites...that'll get you pretty far.

You arent a fan of the colors?

There are also different sizes of bulbs. Does that translate to LEDs?

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

You arent a fan of the colors?
There are also different sizes of bulbs. Does that translate to LEDs?

I think at a certain point, it doesn't matter as much as people think it does. I have done both ways and I have my little orginazier with plenty of colored LEDs...now I just wonder if I really had to pick out colored vs warm white under inserts, could I? And if I could, would it really be that much of a diff'rence to care? I ran with the whole "Color match inserts" for years but I just don't know how real it is.

Anyway, head down to comet and make a small order and see how you feel aboot it.
The 2 bulbs TYPES (not sizes) you'll be picking from are 44s which has a twist base, and 555 which has a bayonet base. Not sure what JP's breakdown is but usually games of that era have a bunch of both.
555 are typically used in twist in adapters used in boards (PCBs) and 44s are used in sockets.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think at a certain point, it doesn't matter as much as people think it does. I have done both ways and I have my little orginazier with plenty of colored LEDs...now I just wonder if I really had to pick out colored vs warm white under inserts, could I? And if I could, would it really be that much of a diff'rence to care? I ran with the whole "Color match inserts" for years but I just don't know how real it is.
Anyway, head down to comet and make a small order and see how you feel aboot it.
The 2 bulbs TYPES (not sizes) you'll be picking from are 44s which has a twist base, and 555 which has a bayonet base. Not sure what JP's breakdown is but usually games of that era have a bunch of both.
555 are typically used in twist in adapters used in boards (PCBs) and 44s are used in sockets.

Therr are some special #89 and #906 bulbs too

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Therr are some special #89 and #906 bulbs too

Quoted from TheLaw:

LED Flashers are expensive and pointless IMO.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Just look into buying the 25 bulb packs from Comet. You’ll use them in another machine some day.

I do the 1 SMD in all colors except orange which I will use the 2 SMD because it is noticeably dimmer in that color.

Some large inserts - like the big red arrows on JP - I’ll do 4 SMD.

The all warm white works well if your inserts all in great shape and not faded. The color matched can help faded/cracked inserts on older PFs.

As mentioned, flashers are useless and super blinding to me.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Just look into buying the 25 bulb packs from Comet. You’ll use them in another machine some day.
I do the 1 SMD in all colors except orange which I will use the 2 SMD because it is noticeably dimmer in that color.
Some large inserts - like the big red arrows on JP - I’ll do 4 SMD.
The all warm white works well if your inserts all in great shape and not faded. The color matched can help faded/cracked inserts on older PFs.
As mentioned, flashers are useless and super blinding to me.

The flashers were the msin thing i was concerned about. They are expensive and a PITA.
I would like to color match, but the different numbers gave me confused on the brightness.

Will a 3 short a fuse or cause problems, as opposed to a 1?

#40 5 years ago

As a side note, i am going to post numbers and types of bulbs, along with colors for anyone's future reference.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Will a 3 short a fuse or cause problems, as opposed to a 1?

If you're referring to number of SMDs it won't matter at all.

#42 5 years ago

Im curious in the amount of flashers and kinds if you can share

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Im curious in the amount of flashers and kinds if you can share

20 #89 flashers in the playfield, 5 for the backbox and 6 #904 in the playfield.

#44 5 years ago

Boom! Thank you!

Any different color or just warm white/natural?

Quoted from Asmig:

20 #89 flashers in the playfield, 5 for the backbox and 6 #904 in the playfield.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Boom! Thank you!

There are some of different colors, but i have heard the argument for color matching and for warm whites.
Does anyone want to weigh in on this "controversy"?

#46 5 years ago

I went warm white under each insert. I tried some matching colored LEDs but found the result to be mostly equivalent, possibly leaning to slightly brighter w/warm whites vs color matching.

I bought a bunch of warm whites and was done with it. Looks awesome to my eyes; really refreshes the playfield appearance over the old/tired/dusty/black incandescents underneath.

I did replace the top-side bulbs with fresh incandescents as I prefer that look.

#47 5 years ago

What was your strategy with the flashers?

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Boom! Thank you!

Warm white, I just picked the game up and in the process of shopping and had to depuke the LED’s. I did leave the matching color 904’s in place.
My favorite led flasher is the comet 5 SMD in warm white, as these are the closest to an incandescent I have found. I’m also going to try two comet flex flashers for the top of the backbox to direct the light more at the topper.

#49 5 years ago

I second the 5 smd flashers. Data East games flash a lot. I originally had the 8 dmd and it would cause a welders flash when playing with the room dark. Go with the single smd bulbs in warm white, frosted. I think the 2 smd have a weird purple tint to the bulbs especially in cool white. I do not buy the yellow or orange bulbs they make the inserts look dark and give a weird mustard color. Make sure you get the slow blinking bulbs for the translite.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-leds-to-jurassic-park-use-a-kit-or-buy-individually-post-your-thoughts?hl=asmig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.