(Topic ID: 60770)

Adding LED's to Jurassic Park? Use a kit or buy individually? Post your thoughts

By Starscream

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-01-24-23-52-13 (resized).png
Screenshot_2019-01-24-23-52-13 (resized).png
JP_LEDs (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0614.JPG
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

I went warm white under each insert. I tried some matching colored LEDs but found the result to be mostly equivalent, possibly leaning to slightly brighter w/warm whites vs color matching.
I bought a bunch of warm whites and was done with it. Looks awesome to my eyes; really refreshes the playfield appearance over the old/tired/dusty/black incandescents underneath.
I did replace the top-side bulbs with fresh incandescents as I prefer that look.

Pics or it didn't happen. Lol.

Only joking...but seriously...do you have pics?

#54 5 years ago

Yes, Stay Frosted (Frosty!)

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Pics or it didn't happen. Lol.
Only joking...but seriously...do you have pics?

Hah, yes! I just posted this image in the other JP Mod thread.

1. LEDs under the playfield - nice and bright (still 100% incandescent on top, love the old school look)
2. LED Strip behind the "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" banner
3. Red superbright under the TRex saucer
4. LEDs in the backbox
5. LED flashers in the right locations

(Comet LEDs purchased from that OldPinGuy above. )
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Hah, yes! I just posted this image in the other JP Mod thread.
1. LEDs under the playfield - nice and bright (still 100% incandescent on top, love the old school look)
3. Red superbright under the TRex saucer
4. LEDs in the backbox
5. LED flashers in the right locations
(Comet LEDs purchased from that OldPinGuy above. )
[quoted image]

markp99
Where do you recommend putting flasher LEDs?
I think Thats the last thing i need to figure out.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

I Like that.....Never thought of that.....

#58 5 years ago

Gotta tell you...i never knew there were this many options until i delved into this.

Does anyone know the difference in brightness from company to company?
Comet, cointaker, pinball life, pinbulbz and arcades?? Are they all about the same?

The comet sunlight white looks intriguing, but i dont want to miss out on a better (or cheaper) option that is equivalent.

#59 5 years ago

I've never done a Jurassic Park before, but given the fact that the colors are all over the place, I'm pretty confident that Sunlight is the way to go. Of course, I'm a little biased.

#60 5 years ago

I dont understand Sunlight myself, so I always say warm.

Look daditude, don't over think it, just go Comet. You're already have 2000 options with bulbs so just eliminate the sellers.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I've never done a Jurassic Park before, but given the fact that the colors are all over the place, I'm pretty confident that Sunlight is the way to go. Of course, I'm a little biased.

I think I have decided on comet. Does conet sell incandescents as well? I just need a few for the head box.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I think I have decided on comet. Does conet sell incandescents as well? I just need a few for the head box.

We don't sadly, but we should. Tested a few and just didn't think they were quite right in color/shape. Probably something we need to revisit in the future.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Gotta tell you...i never knew there were this many options until i delved into this.
Does anyone know the difference in brightness from company to company?
Comet, cointaker, pinball life, pinbulbz and arcades?? Are they all about the same?
The comet sunlight white looks intriguing, but i dont want to miss out on a better (or cheaper) option that is equivalent.

Comet and ryanwanger used to have a super handy chart about brightnesses given number of LED/SMD, type of head, etc. I can’t find it on my phone.

Comets continued great prices, great products, and great customer support has kept me a returning customer.

I think the mob would tell you that JP is a warm white pin. There may be some outliers who’ve done sunlight, maybe 1 or 2 who could comment on cool white in JP.

I do everything in warm white. Did my T2 in sunlight and that was too much white for me. Although I may give it another shot in the future.

#64 5 years ago

Does anyone know what type of bulbs are on top of the head box? I could not find out through the paperwork and I am not near my machine now.

#65 5 years ago

Daditude,

I suggest you put LEDs in the backbox, they run much cooler. They are all bayonet style.

In my JP's backbox:

1. Warm white Comet LEDs
2. 3 bright flashers - not illuminated in this pic
3. The bottom row of 7 bulbs are slow-blinking LEDs (oddly, these blinkers occasionally seem to sync-up with each other, but the overall effect is better than static lights in those spots)
JP_LEDs (resized).pngJP_LEDs (resized).png

Blinky goodness: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO7neKcleMYltL94I5anAX3Xa6Y4vjmHMwfpMtKfbRup64EIP9rieduMabhF5utCA/photo/AF1QipNqdFw7yHDnxWgZ6QrrdEMl6mO1JsZSJ94YLYUg?key=RmE5eGt3YlJtUVNQU3hlSklYd3N1MWZLUjVhSm93

#66 5 years ago

After much deliberation (and many questions to various people. Thank you all), I have placed my LED order with Comet. I have included the order details in a pic below for future reference.

For anyone interested, here is the bulb breakdown:

Jurassic park uses 5 separate bulbs.
#44/47 6.3v bayonet bottom
#555 6.3v wedge bottom
#455 6.3v slow blinking bayonet bottom
#89 13v flasher with bayonet bottom
#906 13v flasher with wedge bottom

Top of the backbox head (all originally clear white):
2 #89 13v flasher bulbs with bayonet bottom and 3 #44/47 6.3v bulbs

Inside the backbox (all originally clear white):
3 #89 13v flasher bulbs with bayonet bottom, 28 #44/47 6.3v bulbs
5 #455 6.3v slow blinking bayonet bottom

Playfield (various colors):

9 #906 bulbs (3 white, 3 yellow, 3 red)
18 #89 bulbs (15 white, 2 red, 1 yellow)
9 #555 bulbs (3 white under yellow pop bumpers, 6 clear white above scoops...3 have green bulb covers, 2 have yellow bulb covers, 1 has a blue bulb cover)
72 #44/47 bulbs ( 20 red, 8 yellow, 9 blue, 2 orange, 7 green, 26 white)

I have been told that comet and cointaker are the brightest bulbs by many people. A couple of pinball restorer friends of mine swear by them. They also have tons of options and are fairly priced. There are cheaper bulbs, but they arent as bright.

Jurassic park will ghost, so you need to get non-ghosting bulbs. Blinkers and flashers dont tend to ghost, however.

I was originally going to color match, but everyone under the sun said it is much darker to do so, and should only be done on worn/cracked playfields. Frosted bulbs were recommended heavily.
The different white bulb options can be tough, i went with sunlight.
Screenshot_2019-01-24-23-52-13 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-01-24-23-52-13 (resized).png

Screenshot_2019-01-24-23-52-13 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-01-24-23-52-13 (resized).png
4 years later
#67 5 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

After much deliberation (and many questions to various people. Thank you all), I have placed my LED order with Comet. I have included the order details in a pic below for future reference.
For anyone interested, here is the bulb breakdown:
Jurassic park uses 5 separate bulbs.
#44/47 6.3v bayonet bottom
#555 6.3v wedge bottom
#455 6.3v slow blinking bayonet bottom
#89 13v flasher with bayonet bottom
#906 13v flasher with wedge bottom
Top of the backbox head (all originally clear white):
2 #89 13v flasher bulbs with bayonet bottom and 3 #44/47 6.3v bulbs
Inside the backbox (all originally clear white):
3 #89 13v flasher bulbs with bayonet bottom, 28 #44/47 6.3v bulbs
5 #455 6.3v slow blinking bayonet bottom
Playfield (various colors):
9 #906 bulbs (3 white, 3 yellow, 3 red)
18 #89 bulbs (15 white, 2 red, 1 yellow)
9 #555 bulbs (3 white under yellow pop bumpers, 6 clear white above scoops...3 have green bulb covers, 2 have yellow bulb covers, 1 has a blue bulb cover)
72 #44/47 bulbs ( 20 red, 8 yellow, 9 blue, 2 orange, 7 green, 26 white)
I have been told that comet and cointaker are the brightest bulbs by many people. A couple of pinball restorer friends of mine swear by them. They also have tons of options and are fairly priced. There are cheaper bulbs, but they arent as bright.
Jurassic park will ghost, so you need to get non-ghosting bulbs. Blinkers and flashers dont tend to ghost, however.
I was originally going to color match, but everyone under the sun said it is much darker to do so, and should only be done on worn/cracked playfields. Frosted bulbs were recommended heavily.
The different white bulb options can be tough, i went with sunlight.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Fantastic bit of help, thanks so much! Been looking for this list everywhere!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-leds-to-jurassic-park-use-a-kit-or-buy-individually-post-your-thoughts/page/2?hl=markp99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.