Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1030081.JPG
P1030080.JPG
a13_rocket_mod2.jpg
a13_rocket_mod1.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hello,

I am trying to add led's to my apollo 13 rocket like in this video.

I have figured out how to mount them and the wiring. Now I am just trying to think of the best way to power them. There are two 89 flashers mounted inside the rocket I would like to tie into for the leds. The problem is the flashers run on ac and leds need dc. I would like to use the easiest method to tap into the 12vac source. I will be using 5 3mm red leds in total. I believe they pull 20ma each. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?

THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO. It is what I am trying to replicate.

#2 11 years ago

Very cool. Only thing better is being near an actual saturn V. The thing is unfathomably massive.

Great looking mod for sure nice work.

#3 11 years ago

I havent completed mine, that is a youtube video of what I am trying to accomplish. I have figured out the ac to dc issue. I built a diode bridge in the front of the rocket just need to wire the leds now.

Thanks,

#4 11 years ago

It will look really cool when done IMHO. Great idea whoever came up with it. Best of luck finishing your project.

#5 11 years ago

Here is how I plan on doing the wiring:

I created a diode bridge on some breadboard I had and cut it to fit at the top of the rocket.

I then covered it in hot glue to lock it in place and prevent any possible shorts.

I have drilled holes in all 5 rocket engines and will be fitting 3mm 12v leds into each of them.

I plan on wiring the leds in series. No resistor should be neccesary with this current setup.

5 Leds will be used for a total of 100ma.

I plan on upgrading the tip122 to a tip102 just to play it safe with the added load on the circuit.

Current the TIP122 drives 4 flashers which is the stock design.

a13_rocket_mod1.jpga13_rocket_mod1.jpg a13_rocket_mod2.jpga13_rocket_mod2.jpg

#6 11 years ago

Normally I hate hot glue on or near boards but with this small of a breadboard in this tight of location I think it is an excellent idea to keep it from shorting out.

Good step by step pics

#7 11 years ago

Since I got the details worked out for the wiring. I have redesigned the setup to look better. More details coming soon but was able to shrink and simplify it.

#8 11 years ago

This has been on my list of things to do, keep the updates coming. The one thing that makes me nervous is drilling into the rocket. Did you do it on a drill press?

#9 11 years ago

No I didnt use a drill press. Just used a standard drill. Also for the new wiring I removed the rear flasher bulb and will be using a modified bulb to power the new led's. You cannot even notice one of the flashers is missing so two under the rocket was definitly overkill. So now there will be one 5 flasher and the 5 engines. pictures coming soon.

#10 11 years ago

That looks AWESOME! Best of luck to you with that mod.

#11 11 years ago

The rocket led's are now up and running. Debating if I should add covers in front of the led's but they are not overly bright. I used flat top led's so they spread the light more towards the outside. P1030080.JPGP1030080.JPG P1030081.JPGP1030081.JPG

#12 11 years ago

Looks very cool. Nice end result.

#13 11 years ago

not finished yet but it is progressing nicely.

#14 11 years ago

I also like the astronaut in the back. nice touch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-leds-to-apollo-13-saturn-v-rocket and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.