123.png
tron2.jpg
tron1.jpg
tron_gi_light_guide_1.jpg
tron_noflix.pdf (PDF preview)
IMAG1140.jpg
CoinTakers_Led_Flipper_Buttons_003.JPG
Tron_EL_Glow_wire_003.JPG
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from Reul1:

Black_Rose do you have a complete list of your choices of LED's you used and for what locations? I love the look that you have on your's and would like to order them from cointaker, but I prefer the way yours looks as to the cointaker stock kit.
Also do you get any ghosting with any of these or are non ghosting one good enough to fix that issue?

I have NO Ghosting Period !! I used Frosted Oranges on the Left side Gi , Cool White Frosted under the Slings , Blue Frosted's Everywhere else on the Gi's ,, I did order some Red and Blue F'kn Brites from PBL to go under the Lower lane Guides .. For insert's ,, the Blue Disc's i have Blue Retro's installed , ZUSE and The Big Portal I used Cointakers Prem- White Frosteds , Retro Purples under TRON , The Spot Lights have Retro Purples , the 4 Red leds under the Spinning disc i used Cointakers 4+1 HP Pop Bumper leds ( they lOOk Great ) Under the Light cycle insert's i used Frosted Orange , under CLU inserts i used Premium 2 Whites ,, All other insert's use Premium 2's and Color Match .. The back board I installed 5 of Cointakers New Frosted Blues (( Just Rite )) In my Pop dress up kit , i have Blue frosteds installed ..

If you need More info Let me Know ..

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

I've tried a few different LEDs in the light cycle inserts (the big square ones) and thus far I haven't really liked anything yet (they all kind of looked like an antifreeze colour). I've tried a PBL white ghostbuster, Cointaker warm white premium, cold white premium and orange premium.
Have you tried something in this insert that you like in there?

I ended up using super bright amber. Makes the inserts orange instead of yellow. Looks more like it fits the theme.

#53 11 years ago

Here are some pics of my set up. I can tell you what bulb types I used if youd like. Went a similar direction of blackrose. Frosted's need to be used where you can see the bulb, however this game is complemented by super brights in the right places. I used super bright white in the sling shots instead of coloring them. I used frosted white and blue in many spots, with a few super brights mixed in. Lightcycle inserts look amazing with super bright amber 555s.

tron1.jpgtron1.jpg

#54 11 years ago

2nd pic

tron2.jpgtron2.jpg

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

CoinTaker Premiums 2 Leds and Retro's for inserts and Frosted's Blue and Orange for GI's / also used PBL's F'ing Brite Red's and Blues under the Lower Guide lanes . I took the F'ing Brites out of the B/board ,, too Over Powering !! ( Yes )
I also got my 26 feet of Blue and Orange EL Glow wire in today ... lOOks GOOD !!!!
I'm Ready for the Install ...

Love what you did with your orange light cycle bike!!!! Way to think outside the box, and have it doing a wheelie!

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from drummerweene:

I ended up using super bright amber.

Are these the ones you're referring to? I think they are, just want to make sure before I order them up. Thanks.

http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=373&categoryId=60

#57 11 years ago

Yes. I used ones from pinballheaven, but they are basically the same bulb. I personally like the orange on these inserts. It wasn't actually intentional. I had ordered yellow 555s and they ended up sending orange. I put them in the clu helmets and lightcycles, lowered the playfield, and ended up really liking it. I think they fit the theme orange instead of the off yellow. Matches the colors used throughout the playfield, and matches the el wire. Don't forget to get one extra to use in the center row of inserts for the light cycle insert so they match. Mine doesn't, but if I had the extra bulb Id put it in. If you look in the picture I am attaching, I have circled my insert and how it looks orange.

123.png123.png

#58 11 years ago

Also you would need one for the clu helmet on the center row as well. I recommend using non ghosting for the center inserts, as mine are ghosting. The lightcycle and clu inserts do not ghost with standard super brights

http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=1246&categoryId=184

#59 11 years ago

Also you would need one for the clu helmet on the center row as well. I recommend using non ghosting for the center inserts, as mine are ghosting. The lightcycle and clu inserts do not ghost with standard super brights

Sounds like a plan drummerweene, thanks for the info!

#60 11 years ago

No problem. We will get your tron how it should have come from the factory in no time! This game wakes up with LEDs and the EL wire is a must. Did you drill your ramps? I used clear tape, but it doesn't seem to be holding up as well as I hoped. I am nervous to drill. I was thinking about using clear fishing line with small holes instead of zip ties. Thoughts?

#61 11 years ago

Sorry to change the subject, ill be sure to keep anything not related to LEDs off of this thread after this

#62 11 years ago

Did you drill your ramps?

Would definitely agree that doing the EL wire is a must, makes a massive difference overall. Great bang for the buck. I did drill my ramps, it's simple to do. If you're worried about drilling just drill the pilot holes first, then do the larger holes. I did a little summary on the Tron mods bragn thread, about half way down the page on page 9 (just look for the picture showing the EL wire lit up). As far as attaching the EL wire, go with the 4 inch clear zip ties, you don't even notice them during gameplay and they get the EL wire secured nice and tight.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-mods-the-bragn-thread/page/9

#63 11 years ago

I was thinking about using clear fishing line with small holes instead of zip ties. Thoughts?

Even Stern was Smarter than that !! Drill the ramps and Do it Right ...

#64 11 years ago

Well after getting my tron pro home today I have to say normal bulbs look so dim compared to LEDS. Cannot wait to make the change.

#65 11 years ago

Thanks Buckles! I don't know why I couldn't find them on Cointakers website. I put an order in this morning.

#66 11 years ago

I used clear tape, but it doesn't seem to be holding up as well as I hoped.

And yet, people gave me crap for asking how well it would hold up..said it would be fine...PFFT.

#67 11 years ago

I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time) didn't Black_Rose suggest clear tape? Now I see that you drilled holes in your ramps. Did the tape not work out?

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Even Stern was Smarter than that !! Drill the ramps and Do it Right ...

I dont think stern honestly was that smart. IMHO the zip ties dont look right to me. They should have either formed the ramps to have the fiber fit in some sort of channel, or actually made the ramps with the fiber optic fused with it. In terms of the EL wire on the ramps, i am trying to think outside the box. You dont think if executed well, invisible fishing line tied tight along the ramp would look better than zip ties? I am nervous to drill the ramps on a $5000 pinball machine, and i also dont think zipties look all that great in a $5000 pinball machine!!!!!!

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time) didn't Black_Rose suggest clear tape? Now I see that you drilled holes in your ramps. Did the tape not work out?

I am sure the tape would work on the smaller EL, but i used the 5mm, and it seems like it is too heavy and pulling the tape down over time.

#70 11 years ago

i also dont think zipties look all that great in a $5000 pinball machine!!!!!!

Well, don't look under the PF, man. Zip ties all over the wiring.

#71 11 years ago

Yes thats a fine place for zip ties! I meant above the PF!!!!!

#72 11 years ago

Im sure once this tape fails, and the wire is flopping in the playfield, ill end up having to zip tie it.I was just wondering if anyone had an idea for a different way. It looks like you guys are using less zip ties than the factory did on the LE, so it certainly looks better than the ramps on the LE.

#73 11 years ago

Any how, as this is an LED thread. Keep the pictures and ideas coming! Post up your pics

Quoted from starbase:

Well after getting my tron pro home today I have to normal bulbs look so dim compared to LEDS. Cannot wait to make the change.

Be sure to post pics once complete, and if you have any questions for LED choices and such post them here

#74 11 years ago

In terms of the EL wire on the ramps, i am trying to think outside the box

Two thumbs up to you for trying to think outside the box, that's what life is all about. If we all stuck to the same path life would be a pretty boring place, that's for sure. I literally thought out of the box myself last week when I turned on my EL wire for the first time and heard that high pitched whine. Ended up making a balsa wood box to put that little blue box in, and now it's all good and that whine is taken care of (or maybe this is thinking "in" the box because that's where that little blue box now resides). Anyways, it's definitely cool to be thinking of a different way to make something happen. What's the worst thing that can happen, just a bit of time invested and you don't get the results you were looking for. A wise man once told me "nothing ventured, nothing gained", sure does make sense when you think about it. So if you're idea does work then rock and roll Drummerweene because it's all good.

Below is a close up picture of the EL wire and a zip tie, overall it looks not bad at all when it's all said and done. I agree that it would be nice if Stern would have thought of a cleaner way to install the EL wire or fiber optic, but they didn't and that leaves it up to us to figure something out.

IMG_4671.JPGIMG_4671.JPG

#75 11 years ago

Thank you. You are right indeed. Also, the EL looks good mounted like that, certainly less frequent use of the zip ties than the LE. I am thinking that a pin hole and clear wire or line will work if done right. Worst case I use the same hole I made to put a zip tie in. Ill update this in the EL wire thread if I do anything. For now the tape still stands, and whenever I am in my game cleaning the nasty rubber which is smearing around the playfield from the disk, I will re attach any loose tape. I know its off topic but is this happening to anyone? Seems like the rubber from the disk is coming off on the ball and field.

#76 11 years ago

Buckles, let me know in this thread how you end up liking the superbrights for the lightcycle and clu inserts! On another side note.....Has anyone in this post got a score over 105 million yet? Did it the other day and let me tell you it was THE most fun I have ever had playing pinball. Never had such a game as I do in Tron. This game is a keeper in my books. Will NEVER sell it, especially where the market stands on pinball these days. The market is UP! On a side side note, avengers releases in about 2 weeks! Also anyone who hasn't rated their tron yet, go head and give it a rating. Lets get this pin pushed up even higher in the top 20

#77 11 years ago

Buckles, let me know in this thread how you end up liking the superbrights for the lightcycle and clu inserts!

You bet. I've also ordered some of the premium frosted orange 555s to try in the light cycle inserts as well (I know Black_Rose has these in there and likes them). Figured I'll try them both and see how they look.

Let us know how the pin hole and line works on the EL ramps if you give it a try, interested to hear if it works!

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

Hell NO I didn't .. I read into what you guy's say , some body else mentioned they was gonna try it ,, I drilled my ramp's .. The LE had a Total of 56 drill holes in 2-ramp's ,, Mine has a Total of 29 in 2 ramp's .. and the zip-ties don't lOOk all that bad .. ( Really that's the Best option )

// Error: Image 56121 not found // Tron_mods_3_010.JPGTron_mods_3_010.JPG

#79 11 years ago

Looks great. Glad you cut it down to only 29! Do you like the mirror blades?

#80 11 years ago

Im glad I taped it at first, because if I had drilled it and then ran into the opto interference issues I was having I would have ripped my hair out! Once the opto issues were resolved (noise from adapter) I am now looking into a more permanent solution. The 29 zip ties look good

#81 11 years ago

Looks great. Glad you cut it down to only 29! Do you like the mirror blades?

Man Yes !! Tron is the 1st Pin I've bought Mirror blades for . I liked them so Much , I put a set in My HS2

HS2_mirror_blades_005.JPGHS2_mirror_blades_005.JPG HS2_mirror_blades_008.JPGHS2_mirror_blades_008.JPG

#82 11 years ago

Very very envious of your getaway. I had one of these machines once, but it wasn't a keeper. It wasn't clean enough. That one looks new! Nice lighting on it! I like the mirrors.

#83 11 years ago

For anybody who visits this post, and it may sound dumb, but I wanted to mention something I learned. There is no need to take ANYTHING apart when installing any LED bulb. You can simply remove the small screw that holds the base of any GI bulb, and install the bulb and then put it back. It is way quicker than removing ramps, etc. I am sure many of you figured this out, but I figured for anyone new looking to install LEDs in the game,, there is no need to take apart anything to get the GI bulbs in.

#84 11 years ago

For anybody who visits this post, and it may sound dumb, but I wanted to mention something I learned. There is no need to take ANYTHING apart when installing any LED bulb. You can simply remove the small screw that holds the base of any GI bulb, and install the bulb and then put it back. It is way quicker than removing ramps, etc. I am sure many of you figured this out, but I figured for anyone new looking to install LEDs in the game,, there is no need to take apart anything to get the GI bulbs in.

Sterns are good about that. Too bad I had to take apart Tron for other reasons...plastic protectors, lightcycle mods, ramp protectors, etc.

#85 11 years ago

Yes same here, but there was the point where I was changing out different bulbs I didn't like later on, and I found it to be easier that way

2 weeks later
#86 11 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

You bet. I've also ordered some of the premium frosted orange 555s to try in the light cycle inserts as well (I know Black_Rose has these in there and likes them). Figured I'll try them both and see how they look.
Let us know how the pin hole and line works on the EL ramps if you give it a try, interested to hear if it works!

Hey, what bulbs did you end up using in the lightcycle inserts? Did you like the superbrights in them?

#87 11 years ago

Was just thinking outside the box again! Do you guys recall the clear twist ties used to hold candy bags closed. They are skinny, clear and have a tiny wire inside them. STRONG when twisted, and the tails could be cut off and hidden. Now picture that applied to mounting the EL wire. Smaller hole, and no zip tie end showing. Much skinnier and most likely hard to notice. Any thoughts?

S_568C_M.jpgS_568C_M.jpg

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

you guys think this will look cool?
(white is cold white)

If using super bright bulbs, I am pretty sure that yellow actually look light orange, and orange are a dark amber which is almost too deep. It matches the el, and looks good, but doesn't light up the way I would like under plastics. Orange frosted and 2 led orange look orange, but super bright orange are a deep orange. I think if using supers here, yellow may be the ones to order. Can someone correct me if im wrong in regards to superbright ambers being too orange, and yellows looking like orange?

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

(white is cold white)

If using super bright bulbs, I am pretty sure that yellow actually look light orange, and orange are a dark amber which is almost too deep. It matches the el, and looks good, but doesn't light up the way I would like under plastics. Orange frosted and 2 led orange look orange, but super bright orange are a deep orange. I think if using supers here, yellow may be the ones to order. Can someone correct me if im wrong in regards to superbright ambers being too orange, and yellows looking like orange?

#90 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

(white is cold white)

#91 11 years ago

done all the gi.
the blues are way stronger, so the yellows don't show as much as i would like. but it is cool.
on the pic it looks like the back is all blue, but it isn't

Picture_1.pngPicture_1.png Picture_2.pngPicture_2.png

#92 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

done all the gi.
the blues are way stronger, so the yellows don't show as much as i would like. but it is cool.
on the pic it looks like the back is all blue, but it isn't

For the blues did you use the 2led ones from countakers? It looks great buy the way.

#93 11 years ago

Shame when the games in attract mode the LEDs flicker when the game dims the inserts.

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Shame when the games in attract mode the LEDs flicker when the game dims the inserts.

I feel the same way. Not to toot my own horn, but have you seen this?
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-leds-to-a-tron-pro/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.