(Topic ID: 310037)

Adding LED to magnet activation

By Aquapin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider digitaldocc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago

I'm actually about to try that this week when parts arrive on my Godzilla. Hoping to use the magnet, bridge coil, and mecha moter as triggers.

My experiment includes high voltage diodes, voltage step down, and an octocoupler that switches on/off a separate power source for the LEDs. If all goes to plan the node system will be safe and sound.

What game are you going for and what have you learned? We should collaborate and be cautious because keeping the game safe is priority when using higher voltage. From what I hear Spike 2 is sensasitive

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I suspect the task is much easier that it appears at first. The coil is driven by 48v DC, so you should be able to use 2 resistors to make a voltage divider, and just feed it to the LED directly. Clip it across the coil, making sure positive is correct, and then the rest is obvious.
    [quoted image]

That seems way easier.

#11 2 years ago

This Reed switch has me fascinated. Is there one you used that worked well in a pinball game that you can link us to? How close do you have to mount it to the magnet?

#12 2 years ago

In the case of using the moter could this 48v to 12v step down work? I think I still want to use a separate power supply with an octocoupler. Especially if I'm using multi LED strips and want to do no harm to the node system.

Some advantage to using the below products as apposed to 2watt resisters?

ebay.com link: Power Converter Regulator DC 24V 36V 48V Step Down to DC 12V 120W 10A Waterproof

Or this one

ebay.com link: Buck Converter Step Down Power Module 200W 15A DC DC 8 60V TO 1 36V

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider digitaldocc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-led-to-magnet-activation-?tu=digitaldocc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.