View topic image gallery

56718A47-B605-41F4-85F3-F6BEE85F734F (resized).jpeg
0MiniZag-Work-02 (resized).jpg
Rocket III knocker design 3 (resized).jpg
Rocket III knocker design 2 (resized).jpg
Rocket III knocker design (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astyy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

A while back with help from pinside I made a DIY Added Ball kit K-313 for my Rocket III. It worked great, basically an extra relay with Jones plug that replaces a jumper plug on the motor board, it looks like this;

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

The original thread is here - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-rocket-iii-apron-credit-lamp-wiring

Shortly thereafter beadwindow worked something very similar for Minizag - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-minizag-aab

These DIY kits have worked great and Added Ball/Shoot Again is a fun option in the home play environment. The problem is part of the fun has been lost as the Knocker doesn't function in Added Ball mode and knocker = pinball. This is by design as the knocker/sounder is driven by the Replay Unit End of Stroke and the Replay Unit is no longer in use once the AAB kit is installed as Replay/Credits are no longer awarded.

Would there be an easy way to wire a Knocker to the AAB kit relay to knock when an extra ball is awarded? The challenge is that the AAB relay is a hold type relay that holds when AAB is awarded (based on score threshold) until it releases when the added ball is shot via the top arch rebound gate nc switch. I can wire an extra switch to the relay to activate the knocker but then it would stick on (and burn up) until the AAB relay releases. How can I make the pulse to the Knocker momentary? If possible to extend the AAB kit and not alter original wiring.

The Rocket III schematic is available on IPDB the AAB Relay at B44;
https://www.ipdb.org/files/1989/Bally_1967_Rocket_III_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf
I can provide a version with all AAB circuitry highlighted if that helps.

Thank you for any and all assistance.

#21 5 years ago

Wow great information amassed here, thank you all for contributing and for the clear circuit diagrams MarkG.

I too will attempt the simple circuit in post #10 first. I'm thinking the existing Knocker has it's own short lead and 2-pin Jones plug so could be neatly unplugged from "existing" to connect to DIY AAB knock circuit. In AAB mode "existing" shouldn't fire the Knocker, but if it should it looks like it would pull the AAB too incorrectly.

I'm keen to approach this an a non-invasive, easily reversible way.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

Also, wouldn’t directly connecting both coils w/o the switch being part of the circuit cause it to fire?

I got a bit of time on my machine. Unfortunately I only have a single 4 slot "ladder(?)" fitted on my AAB relay so fully occupied for the moment. (Not sure how to sort replace with an 8 slot ladder?)

What I did try though is directly jumpering the knocker coil off the AAB coil and they both definitely pull together. I didn't get a knock as such as the knocker didn't quickly release and recoil but you get the idea.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

Now to do something about the relatively anemic sounding knocker.

Good stuff. I have a later knocker off an early Stern SS I may try, alternatively this thread is interesting
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/want-a-loud-knocker#post-4020122

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

If I recall the schematic showed one event that could fire the Add A Ball relay that used a score motor pulse which I avoided.

Yes Rocket III additionally awards AAB on the "Advance" feature (spell R-O-C-K-E-T) via the Advance Relay and Score Motor switch 5B. MiniZag doesn't seem to have an equivalent just the hi-score thresholds.

I like that your circuit just relies on the AAB being pulled, so I assume if that's working the knocker should work. For simplicity I'll probably disconnect from the Replay Unit EOS too, or use a spare knocker positioned near the AAB relay.

@rolf_martin_062 thank you for the diagram and advice re "late" switch closing. Do you mean "The new Normally-Closed Switch" in your second sentence.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

Every time all the letters are lit, one of the spotlights on the backglass is lit. An extra ball can be awarded at any or all of them.

I stand corrected I can see the "Spotlight" adjustment on the schematic at 19E. It's depicted differently to Advance on Rocket III.

Some of the feature names on MiniZag are brilliant - Zagger Lane Kicker, Wayout Relay, Groovy Unit so 1960s

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
£ 90.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Retro Electro Designs
Decorations
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astyy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-knocker-to-bally-aab-added-ball-kit-models?tu=astyy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.