(Topic ID: 85396)

Adding felt under the glass / fixing minor scratches?

By m00dawg

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Almost every part of my pin is in great shape, but one of the areas that needs a bit of attention is the wood that the glass sits atop. There's some scratches and things. I'll likely use mirror blades or decals for the sides eventually, but for the top, I was thinking of putting felt all the way up to both cover up the scratches and prevent further ones from developing. Has anyone done that or otherwise has any suggestions?

I poked around the forums and it sounds like folks put felt on the sides of the playfield to avoid scratching mirror blades, but I didn't find anything about the top glass.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG
#2 10 years ago

A couple of questions: It looks like you may have the plastic glass channel, but it usually extends a small amount beyond the metal side rail. If this is missing from your machine it explains why you have damage to the wood.

Does your glass fit snuggly side to side? Is the top of the sides bowed outward (top glass fit problem) or bowed inward, playfield rubbing causing the damage.

Your damage is unusual and if you attempt to apply felt, pinball side mirrors, or artwork will just get damaged. You need to determine what the problem is and solve that first.

#3 10 years ago

Yep, the channels are there, or seem to be at least in the front. Sliding the glass back in takes a bit of time to get it into the channels. Glass doesn't seem to move hardly at all side to side as well. I'll have to pull the glass out and look closely, but I haven't noticed any bowing to this point.

All in all, the glass seems to fit pretty snugly so I'm not sure why there is some damage on the sides (I took a pic of the worst of it). If it was glass, perhaps it was previous damage and the glass has since been replaced by a previous owner?

#4 10 years ago

I pulled off the glass yesterday while doing some maintenance (new flippers, LEDs, yum!) and had some time to look a look at the glass. If it's bowed, it's too small for me to tell. When I slide it in and out, though, it doesn't sound like it's grinding on anything and I don't see anything awry where those edge scratch marks are. It doesn't seem like it's my current glass, though who knows what came before it.

If felt on the top where the glass slides isn't a good option, is there any other way to cover up/repair those scratches? Some of the side ones will get covered up with blades so not much of a worry there. It's mostly the top and edge I'm wanting to clean up.

#5 10 years ago

Took yet another look and, derp, dunno how I didn't see it before but the plastic glass guides are definitely there. It makes me think, at one point, they weren't as the scratches seem to run beneath those. So felt is silly and unnecessary - but I would still like to see about fixing those edges.

Any thoughts on how to do that? Could I just remove the guides and paint?

#6 10 years ago

I would think the damage shown was caused from lifting and lowering the playfield over the years. I have a Keller restored MM and I noticed that there is felt down each side of the playfield so that the inside of the cabinet doesn't get scratched when the playfield is raised and lowered.

#7 10 years ago

Ah hmm I didn't think about fleting the sides of the playfield since I don't have mirror blades, but yeah I suppose that can't hurt. Good thought.

#8 10 years ago

I have a Dirty Harry that had the inside cabinet wear like yours and sanded it down and painted. I would agree w/concrete that it is from lifting pf in and out. I tried felt but just really not enough room on either side to make it work.....just careful when I lift pf in and out/up/down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 63.95
$ 15.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 85.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-felt-under-the-glass-fixing-minor-scratches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.