Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0D681AEB-C820-4F33-A84A-0F654131A628 (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Hi I have a Williams Base Hit em pinball machine has anyone know how you can add crowd cheering from a recorder to a game when a hit is made any suggestions thank you

#2 1 year ago

I was thinking about doing something similar with my Homerun. It’s going to cost you about $55.

Read and watch the video in this link.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-8-track-player-in-midway-haunted-house-with-a-sound-card

What’s great about this, is you can add more than just crowd noise. Become creative. Easy setup.

Link to sound card. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13660

0D681AEB-C820-4F33-A84A-0F654131A628 (resized).png

#3 1 year ago

If you search for

site:pinside.com adding sound em

You'll get a few more threads with ideas

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

I was thinking about doing something similar with my Homerun. It’s going to cost you about $55.

It’s a little more tricky than that.

Well, if you just want something to make some noise all the time, yeah, you could use that.

But you can’t trigger that type of board with an EM. Been there, done that.

We created a board that does ... it takes triggers from the player up lights, tilt, game over. It plays any MP3 you want for each of the 6 triggers.

Check out the end of my LZ build thread and you can see them. $99 plus shipping. Only work in EMs - we are building a different version for SS when we have some time.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-bally-led-zeppelin-retheme

rd

#5 1 year ago

For anyone wondering what the difference in boards might be, the Sparkfun board has 16 inputs (or triggers) that require 3.3 or 5.0 volts DC while rotordave's board appears to have 6 inputs that can use the same 6 volt AC signals used by EM light circuits. That allows the triggers to be wired directly to the game's feature lamps.

To use the Sparkfun board (or most off the shelf microcontroller boards) you would need to convert the AC signals in the game to appropriate DC levels. You might be able to do that with a simple rectifier circuit (per trigger) or you could add switches to the relays that would switch DC signals for the board at the same time as switching the AC signals used by the feature lamps. It would be possible but it's not plug and play.

/Mark

#6 1 year ago

That’s the one.

And the major hurdle is that the lights are actually flicking on and off all the time. You can’t notice it with your eyes, but with all the stepper motors etc, they are actually constantly flicking on and off. Which causes the board to keep triggering all the time.

So our little board actually has a programmed processor on it to overcome this.

rd

#7 1 year ago

You might want to get the schematic for Williams Upper Deck, which has electronic sounds, to see how they trigger the sounds.
    .................David Marston

#8 1 year ago

Hi thank you to everyone for there suggestions this is what I want to know every time I get a hit there is a single bell that rings and when I score a run there is a separate bell that also rings was wondering what kind of recorder that I can record crowd sounds and hook it up to the coil that rings the bell and the recorder will go on Is there a way

#9 1 year ago

If you can add a switch to the relays that ring the bells you can use that to trigger the wav player.

#10 1 year ago

Yes but wat kind of player could I use it’s 24 volt
    And how would I hook it up to the switch

#11 1 year ago

You're adding a simple contact switch that's only connected to whatever input on the wav player - you'll have to get a separate power supply to power that. There's no electrical interaction between the machine's signals and the wav player electronics, only the mechanical action of the switch closing the contacts that the wav trigger looks for.

You might want to just buy rotordave 's solution since it sounds more plug and play - there's going to be some experimentation involved otherwise, in putting a couple switches into relays, attaching wires, getting a small power supply, speaker, and wav player board (the one I was thinking of has several ways to trigger it, https://robertsonics.com/wav-trigger/ - the way I was figuring would be used to combat switch contact bounce was to select the trigger to only restart when the track was done, so your wav file itself would handle switch debouncing)

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from slochar:

You might want to just buy rotordave 's solution since it sounds more plug and play

Unfortunately probably not for this application. It’s triggered by the 6v AC player lights and programmed to work for the specific application of playing background music for each player, and a tilt sound and a game over sound.

You could make one specific for this application, but not something we would be interested in doing as we haven’t even got enough time to make the current ones lol

rd

#13 1 year ago

I know nothing about wav players or anything like it, but if it runs off 6V, and you would
    like it to work off hits, if it only takes a single pulse, an extra set of switches on the Single
    Relay should do it, and wire one of the switches to a hot 6V socket/lead.
    It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the Single Relay energizes when any hit is made..

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside