3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tickerguy
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150117_ARCEXPO_web.jpg
    image.jpeg
    20151111_180025.jpg
    PB100034.jpg
    PB100039.jpg
    IMG_2204a.jpg
    IMG_2969a.jpg

#1 3 years ago

I guess there are many ways to get free-play on non free-play games. From setting the threshold low so every game will win a free game to shorting the coin switch with a key. On one of my games someone added a flipper switch to the front of the cabinet that is connected to the coin switch. This works well but I don’t like defacing the cabinet front. See first two photos.

So on my other game I added a doorbell switch to the inside of the cabinet. Fortunately the wiring harness was made for three coin switches but only two are used. I simply extended the wires to the new switch. See photos 3 and 4.

This does require opening the coin door to get free games but it can be removed easily and is no damage to the cabinet. Also I set the center coin slot for 5 games per coin so I only have to press the doorbell button 8 times for 40 games.

Bob

IMG_2969a.jpg

IMG_2204a.jpg

PB100039.jpg

PB100034.jpg

#2 3 years ago

Hmmm. That wouldn't work for me. I often have guests/children play, then I'd have to go get keys, open the game to add credits. I would prefer the non-destructive option of replacing the start button switch with a double stack switch. You wire the first switch closure to the credit switch which adds a credit as the switch begins to close, then when the button finishes its travel, it closes the switch that starts the game.

#3 3 years ago

+1 on the double-stack switch. That's what I did for years on early GTL and Bally SS machines. It's more convenient to knock down credits every so often than opening a game and adding credits (in my opinion).

My early GTL add-a-ball games didn't have a credit switch. I added a switch so the coin return level started a game.

#4 3 years ago

I did not see game title mentioned, but don't forget to research rom revions.
    A few of the good folks have made free play roms. I think VP forums has them for a bunch of early Bally SS titles for download.

I had done double stack switch as well easy and clean.

Setting replay very low as well. Until 80b rom code just arrived.

I did a tiny momentary push button in the back of coin return chute so not obvious as well.

The big button is fine really anything that keeps you from having to open and close coin door is the way to go in my book.

#5 3 years ago

I was thinking about this recently. What do you think about re-purposing the stuck coin return push button? If you are not going to use the coin mechs you don't need it anyway. You can pull that button out and replace it with something that could be wired into the coin switch. Then you would have an easy way to add credits, from the outside, without any significant mod to the cabinet or coin door. The original button could be saved and put back on if desired in the future.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

What do you think about re-purposing the stuck coin return push button?

I have a game that uses this approach, but nothing was changed on the front of the door just on the inside, where a switch was added that the bar that normally gets pushed down by that button hits the switch. Works well, since if there are no credits that is something people instinctively push.

#7 3 years ago

On machines without free play code the LAST thing you want to do is drill holes and put in switches... Gross.

On Gottlieb System 1 through System 80 the trick most do is to wire a jumper between the Start buttom and coin switch diodes down in the bottom of the cab. That way very time you hit Start, you apply a credit and instantly debit a credit.

http://www.papinball.com/tips/gottlieb_free_play.html

On most other machines, an insulated switch mounted behind the Credit button or the coin return button and wired across a credit switch works wonders.

On some early solid state Bally/Stern folks have modified firmware, and if you have the means to burn roms, go for it.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I have a game that uses this approach, but nothing was changed on the front of the door just on the inside, where a switch was added that the bar that normally gets pushed down by that button hits the switch. Works well, since if there are no credits that is something people instinctively push.

Dang that is even slicker and I wish I had thought of that.

#9 3 years ago

On classic Ballys you can move the coin switch up to where the coin return bar is. That way, when you press the coin return button, you can add credits without opening the coin door or defacing the cabinet.The two screw holes are already there for the switch. Simple.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I was thinking about this recently. What do you think about re-purposing the stuck coin return push button? If you are not going to use the coin mechs you don't need it anyway. You can pull that button out and replace it with something that could be wired into the coin switch. Then you would have an easy way to add credits, from the outside, without any significant mod to the cabinet or coin door. The original button could be saved and put back on if desired in the future.

This is a bit how ya doin since things didnt line up right, but i made the slug reject button add credits to a gottlieb system 1 game. I snuck some fish paper in there to isolate. As the slug reject button is pushed the metal bar comes down and pushes the top leaf into the bottom leaf. Been this way for years now and no problems besides people asking me how to add credits on Buck Rogers.

20151111_180025.jpg

I would avoid drilling holes in the cabinet to add a switch. My Dolly Parton I am working on has a doorbell switch to the left of the cabinet. Looks like hell, but I will probably leave it since the rest of the game is a bit of a beater.

#11 3 years ago

I always just put a credit button where the lock goes, since there's no coins in there anymore, no need to lock it up...

#12 3 years ago

I'm lazy. On my Bally games I just set the replay to 10,000 and the second one to 100,000 and click up 40 credits. Simple and effective.

I did do the Gottlieb wire jump trick on my Haunted House. Works well.

rd

#13 3 years ago

NEVER drill holes in the cab or coin door for credit switches!!!!!!!

You just burn (or order from someone with a burner) the free play ROMs and the credits will never fall bellow zero.

.... or if you like a bigger project, just stack the credit switch before the start game switch. That way the game gets a credit just before you start the game.

#14 3 years ago

The easiest way is to drop a coin in it.

#15 3 years ago

On classic Bally and Stern, the lazy but expensive option is just to put in an Alltek MPU.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

On classic Bally and Stern, the lazy but expensive option is just to put in an Alltek MPU.

You are right about expensive...... $200 is way more than .75 cents for an EPROM

#17 3 years ago

On my Cheetah, when I got it, someone drilled a hole and put a flipper button on the upper left of the front of the cabinet to add credits. The problem is that is where 80% of games have the start button.

Took the game to a show and every time I went to check on it, the game was off. I was watching and people would come up to the game and try to start it but they were actually adding credits, when the game wouldn't start they'd shut it off. Obviously these people didn't know about the start button on the coin door.

Took the game home, removed the button and filled in the hole. I've added a small credit button behind the coin door to add credits. Now it's less confusing for people.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You are right about expensive...... $200 is way more than .75 cents for an EPROM

Or $0.00 to set the game to 10,000 point replays.

rd

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Or $0.00 to set the game to 10,000 point replays.

But that takes away from the feel of winning something.

#20 3 years ago

I just put together this page for one-stop shopping for all your free play needs:

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Add/Enable_Free_Play

Feel free to add and modify as you see fit.

#21 3 years ago

New ROMs can not only give free play, but also bug fixes or other stuff.

The Freeplay ROM for Playboy I usually install also has the "divide by 10" mod installed.

Even on 5 ball, nobody can roll the score.

#22 3 years ago

I can't seem to find the free play or home ROMs for classic Stern games.

I found references in 2010 where an RGP user "seymour shabow" said he made them. Does anyone know where these might be hosted?

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I found references in 2010 where an RGP user "seymour shabow" said he made them. Does anyone know where these might be hosted?

Just email Scott (seymour) and he can send them to you.

#24 3 years ago

Again, not ideal but better than drilling. http://www.onecircuit.com/CoinUp
    Works on pins too!

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Again, not ideal but better than drilling. http://www.onecircuit.com/CoinUp
    Works on pins too!

Has that been tested on Classic Bally/Stern? Seems like it wouldn't work on pins where the credit/coin buttons are part of the switch matrix.

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#26 3 years ago

Any interest in a plug-and-play mod for Classic Bally/Stern pinball machines that would plug into the cabinet switch header on the MPU & then turn the credit button on the front of the cab into a "free play" button? I have a circuit I was playing around with today on the bench that seems to be working.

Seems this would be a great option for people that don't want to have to burn a freeplay ROM (or purchase one if they don't have an eprom programmer) and also wouldn't require any hacks, doubled up switches, cutting holes in cabinets, etc. It'd also allow you to set the score levels high.. instead of having to set them low to ensure free games that way.

I'm going to test some in-game [hopefully today] and see how it works. If all looks good, I'll have some made up and could make them available to other interested folks!

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I'm going to test some in-game [hopefully today] and see how it works. If all looks good, I'll have some made up and could make them available to other interested folks!

I bet a bunch of ROM phobic pinheads would LOVE a product like this.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Any interest in a plug-and-play mod for Classic Bally/Stern pinball machines that would plug into the cabinet switch header on the MPU & then turn the credit button on the front of the cab into a "free play" button? I have a circuit I was playing around with today on the bench that seems to be working.

I would take a stack of those with me to Banning this weekend and install in every game I could see.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I would take a stack of those with me to Banning this weekend and install in every game I could see.

Take a sleeping bag because you'd be staying there for quite some time...!

rd

image.jpeg

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Take a sleeping bag because you'd be staying there for quite some time...!

got to say, anytime someone posts a photo showing dozens and dozens of machines lined up in a room, it just makes me happy.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

got to say, anytime someone posts a photo showing dozens and dozens of machines lined up in a room, it just makes me happy.

For the Northwest pinball and Arcade show last year we had 220 pins and almost as many arcades. It keeps getting bigger every year.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from WonkoTSane:

For the Northwest pinball and Arcade show last year we had 220 pins and almost as many arcades. It keeps getting bigger every year.

But I need to see photos for it to make me feel happy

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Is there something going on there this weekend? Or are you just going in there to do some work? I didn't see any events scheduled. I think the next event there is the expo in January?

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

But I need to see photos for it to make me feel happy

Here you go, same spot as rotordave is posting:

SoCal Arcade Expo 2014, photo by Steve Tsubota

There are around 500 pins there. Worth the trip to CA in January!

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Is there something going on there this weekend? Or are you just going in there to do some work? I didn't see any events scheduled. I think the next event there is the expo in January?

Just volunteers tuning up machines. If you want to come out and help more people are always welcome!

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can't seem to find the free play or home ROMs for classic Stern games.

I have Seawitch, Nugent (and all the clones), maybe a few others.

#37 3 years ago

Oliver free play'd all the early bally ROMs.

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

I also have a mod that makes the tilt on a bally game act like the tilt on a stern game (tilt with zero points scored during a ball does not advance to next ball/player).

1 month later
    #38 3 years ago

What is the best switch to use to stack on top of the credit switch for my Meteor?
    I used to buy the ones from Tom Callahan but he is no longer in business. I kinda know what I need but the sites don't list switch lengths.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

What is the best switch to use to stack on top of the credit switch for my Meteor?
    I used to buy the ones from Tom Callahan but he is no longer in business. I kinda know what I need but the sites don't list switch lengths.

I made my own.

Microswitch with 4" actuator wire: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-SMSW
    Microswitch Mounting Bracket/Holder (GTB-26481): http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html

#40 3 years ago

Thank you. I was thinking I would have to use a leaf switch with a plastic nub on it because I couldn't find any of those mounting brackets.

7 months later
    #41 2 years ago

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I had helped Tom out with his website a little while ago and he had asked me to spread the word that he is still in business at Pin Logic (http://www.pin-logic.com). For a while he had closed down, but decided to keep it going for a while yet as he sells out of some of his specialty stock.

I just recently got one of his Direct Connect power supplies. I have put them in all of my old Bally's and a Stern Meteor and his Xenon tube LED kits (and extra tubes), are a nice part for that pin, though I think I am going to sell my Xenon project.

Anyway, he's a little slow to respond sometimes, but he's still got some other misc. chips and stuff around his workshop that he doesn't have details on on the website.

#42 2 years ago

My personal favorite hack for this purpose is to mount a microswitch so that the coin return button closes it, and wire it to the coin-drop switch under one of the mechs.

It's reversible (provided you take some care mounting the microswitch), is usually pretty easy to do and does no violence to anything original in the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.00
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Batman 66 Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 6.95
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 90.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside