• 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by snyper2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l640 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

Wanted to add credit button to my Revenge From Mars using J2 ribbon cable from Coin Door Interface Board. As have no coin mechanism at the moment.
From reading operations manual correct pins to use should be Pin 2 & 7 for 1 coin.
Can someone confirm? Better safe than sorry.

Edit: he beat me by a few seconds!
————————————————————
Why don’t you just set it on free play? A credit button doesn’t seem to make any sense unless it’s a sys80 Gottlieb.

#9 4 years ago

Credit buttons devalue a game and basically look cheap and hack-y considering you can set it to free play, however I understand your sentiment that you want to “earn” free games. All my machines take tokens. Invest in getting the coinmechs for the door. I assume you must be missing the switches and things? They’re easy to come by if you put an ad on Pinside. Someone can help you.

Also if you absolutely want to add a credit button because you either can’t get the coin switch parts at the moment or the game is a project and you haven’t fixed that’s going on with the coin stuff, at least just wire it in separately so it doesn’t hack up the wiring harness and it’s 100% reversible.

Remember, almost all of us pinheads are trying to preserve history, and no matter what, eventually this game is gonna belong to someone else. As the years go by the numbers of surviving machines grow smaller and smaller so hacks are heavily discouraged to preserve a machine.
Get some alligator clips or jumpers and hookup the pins you need and at a momentary button and leave it hanging inside the door or something.
I honestly don’t know if possibly the P2k machines had different coindoor setups than everything else so I won’t advise on that portion.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

Yes have manual and understand you can change settings. But you limit options of play if you do make use of coin mechanism.

So you don’t want to use the coin mech or set it to free play? We’re just trying to understand what you really want to accomplish because credit buttons not only DON’T make sense, they are redundant and pointless considering the existing options the game was originally designed with.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

Sorry delayed reply due to new member not verified and unable to reply to hot topic even though I started it :/
This topic has turned into an interesting diabete about adding buttons when what I was checking was correct pin outs.
First let me say that I am repairing & preserving my table. As some of the previous owners have not been taking care of game.
I would NOT changing design/look or drilling holes (sacrilege).
Current plan to add credits to table by adding leaf switch to coin reject button. Using current coin door mechanism bolt. Did consider www.easycoinup.com, but this is permanent and harder to remove.

This still doesn’t make sense, as others were suggesting, just wire the pins into the start button. Why do you NEED to add a credit button? This machine supports freeplay and the credit switch can be operated without adding anything.

Basically what your doing still doesn’t make sense. That’s like hotwiring your car when you have the keys. It is quite genuinely pointless, adding nonsensical switches for a purpose that is already taken care of, adding credits.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

Audits feature (Credit added using switchs inside door not counted), styles of game play require credits (You never play limited credit/game tournament?) & earning free games becomes pointless.
Features listed in operations manual and on operations menus need credit system to use.
Also easy way to add mechanism to cabinet without buying one. Which would seem pointless in your eyes given your own comments.

No need to get snarky, your comments about credit audits ARE pointless. You are adding a credit button which is considered freeplay. When you switch the game to freeplay it still will give you an audit telling how many games have been played. This whole concept of “Features listed in operations manual and on operations menus need credit system to use.” flatly is not true and does not exist. There are no features that are not enabled. Games played/coins dropped are one in the same unless you plan to add a button for both chutes while not actually taking coins?

Tournaments don’t use limited credits, either you pay coin drop, or you pay to enter and the games are freeplay as ForceFlow mentioned. Go to any sanctioned IFPA tournament. If you want to run real tournaments then a credit button doesn’t accomplish anything.

Quoted from No_CLU:

Think we are going to have to agree to disagree on many points. Each owner has there own way they wish to use there cabinet.

I suppose if you wish to ignore the helpful comments and want to hack up your game, that is your choice. It won’t make sense and will hurt value when you eventually sell it. Best of luck hacking up a perfectly good game when you can simply buy the mech that you think is pointless when you literally said you want to keep track of coins dropped. I guess you just don’t know what you want?

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This one sounds good enough, but then how would you start a game?
An old trick on add a ball ems was to put a switch behind one of the coin return buttons.

Just like old Sterns, it adds a credit and starts a game at the same time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-credit-button?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.