Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by snyper2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

s-l640 (resized).jpg

#1 8 days ago

Wanted to add credit button to my Revenge From Mars using J2 ribbon cable from Coin Door Interface Board. As have no coin mechanism at the moment.
From reading operations manual correct pins to use should be Pin 2 (+12V) & 7 (L Coin 1) for 1 coin.

Can someone confirm? Better safe than sorry.

#2 8 days ago

Why not set it for free play?

#3 8 days ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

Wanted to add credit button to my Revenge From Mars using J2 ribbon cable from Coin Door Interface Board. As have no coin mechanism at the moment.
From reading operations manual correct pins to use should be Pin 2 & 7 for 1 coin.
Can someone confirm? Better safe than sorry.

Edit: he beat me by a few seconds!
————————————————————
Why don’t you just set it on free play? A credit button doesn’t seem to make any sense unless it’s a sys80 Gottlieb.

#4 8 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Why not set it for free play?

Audits feature, some styles of game play require credits & earning free games becomes pointless. Also testing coin ribbon cable.

#5 8 days ago

don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 8 days ago
Quoted from Nickson:

don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?

#7 8 days ago

He's saying don't add a button. Go into the menu system and set it to free play.

If you don't know how to do it, download the manual here: https://www.ipdb.org/files/4446/Bally_1999_Revenge_From_Mars_Operations_Manual_February_1999_OCR_searchable.pdf

Edit - Sorry missed your post about 'earning' a credit. There are several things you can do to make high scores important - see the next post.

Not sure that a button helps with that feeling you are looking for, but it will only frustrate your casual playing friends and the next owner.

Better option is to put out some coins to use when there are not any credits left. THat way you can also monitor how long it takes to use up a 'roll of quarters'

#8 8 days ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

Audits feature, some styles of game play require credits & earning free games becomes pointless. Also testing coin ribbon cable.

One of the things you can change in the settings is what is awarded when you beat the game. Most of my my machines are setup so that beating the game awards an extra ball, and the special awards points.

#9 8 days ago

Credit buttons devalue a game and basically look cheap and hack-y considering you can set it to free play, however I understand your sentiment that you want to “earn” free games. All my machines take tokens. Invest in getting the coinmechs for the door. I assume you must be missing the switches and things? They’re easy to come by if you put an ad on Pinside. Someone can help you.

Also if you absolutely want to add a credit button because you either can’t get the coin switch parts at the moment or the game is a project and you haven’t fixed that’s going on with the coin stuff, at least just wire it in separately so it doesn’t hack up the wiring harness and it’s 100% reversible.

Remember, almost all of us pinheads are trying to preserve history, and no matter what, eventually this game is gonna belong to someone else. As the years go by the numbers of surviving machines grow smaller and smaller so hacks are heavily discouraged to preserve a machine.
Get some alligator clips or jumpers and hookup the pins you need and at a momentary button and leave it hanging inside the door or something.
I honestly don’t know if possibly the P2k machines had different coindoor setups than everything else so I won’t advise on that portion.

#10 8 days ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

He's saying don't add a button. Go into the menu system and set it to free play.
If you don't know how to do it, download the manual here: https://www.ipdb.org/files/4446/Bally_1999_Revenge_From_Mars_Operations_Manual_February_1999_OCR_searchable.pdf
Edit - Sorry missed your post about 'earning' a credit. There are several things you can do to make high scores important - see the next post.
Not sure that a button helps with that feeling you are looking for, but it will only frustrate your casual playing friends and the next owner.
Better option is to put out some coins to use when there are not any credits left. THat way you can also monitor how long it takes to use up a 'roll of quarters'

Yes have manual and understand you can change settings. But you limit options of play if you do make use of coin mechanism.

#11 8 days ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

Yes have manual and understand you can change settings. But you limit options of play if you do make use of coin mechanism.

So you don’t want to use the coin mech or set it to free play? We’re just trying to understand what you really want to accomplish because credit buttons not only DON’T make sense, they are redundant and pointless considering the existing options the game was originally designed with.

#12 8 days ago

If you're going to add a credit button, then you still have it on "free play", you just have to press a button to get it. It still "devalues" winning a credit, because if you want to play and you didn't earn the credit in-game, you're still going to press the credit button anyway.

I hate credit buttons, as there are ways to have access to home play without them. I agree with Isochronic_Frost 100%, credit buttons are hacks and usually end up putting a hole in the coin door or cabinet, and look like crap. Like he suggested, if you must, make sure it's not a permanent modification that can be reversed.

I'm not familiar with P2K, but can you not add credits via the operator buttons, like earlier Williams WPC games or modern Sterns?

#13 8 days ago

Wire the credit button to the start button.

#14 8 days ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

But you limit options of play if you do make use of coin mechanism.

What options?

As far as I was aware, no game features were crippled by enabling free play.

#15 8 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

What options?
As far as I was aware, no game features were crippled by enabling free play.

One feature is that you will not hear the coin drop sound- on some machines it is kinda cool. But not cool enough to keep me from not changing to free-play.
If you really need it in coin mode- fix/replace the coin mechanisms and use quarters... Don’t do anything that can not be undone.

#18 8 days ago

WIRE.
IT.
TO.
THE.
START.
BUTTON.

Simple. reversible, does exactly what you are wanting to do.

Stop yapping and start hacking!

#19 7 days ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

One feature is that you will not hear the coin drop sound

That's not really a feature...

#20 7 days ago

Sorry delayed reply due to new member not verified and unable to reply to hot topic even though I started it :/

This topic has turned into an interesting diabete about adding buttons when what I was checking was correct pin outs.

First let me say that I am repairing & preserving my table. As some of the previous owners have not been taking care of game.
I would NOT changing design/look or drilling holes (sacrilege).

Current plan to add credits to table by adding leaf switch to coin reject button. Using current coin door mechanism bolt. Did consider www.easycoinup.com, but this is permanent and harder to remove.

#21 6 days ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

Sorry delayed reply due to new member not verified and unable to reply to hot topic even though I started it :/
This topic has turned into an interesting diabete about adding buttons when what I was checking was correct pin outs.
First let me say that I am repairing & preserving my table. As some of the previous owners have not been taking care of game.
I would NOT changing design/look or drilling holes (sacrilege).
Current plan to add credits to table by adding leaf switch to coin reject button. Using current coin door mechanism bolt. Did consider www.easycoinup.com, but this is permanent and harder to remove.

This still doesn’t make sense, as others were suggesting, just wire the pins into the start button. Why do you NEED to add a credit button? This machine supports freeplay and the credit switch can be operated without adding anything.

Basically what your doing still doesn’t make sense. That’s like hotwiring your car when you have the keys. It is quite genuinely pointless, adding nonsensical switches for a purpose that is already taken care of, adding credits.

#22 6 days ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This still doesn’t make sense, as others were suggesting, just wire the pins into the start button. Why do you NEED to add a credit button? This machine supports freeplay and the credit switch can be operated without adding anything.
Basically what your doing still doesn’t make sense. That’s like hotwiring your car when you have the keys. It is quite genuinely pointless, adding nonsensical switches for a purpose that is already taken care of, adding credits.

Audits feature (Credit added using switchs inside door not counted), styles of game play require credits (You never play limited credit/game tournament?) & earning free games becomes pointless.
Features listed in operations manual and on operations menus need credit system to use.

Also easy way to add mechanism to cabinet without buying one. Which would seem pointless in your eyes given your own comments.

#23 6 days ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

Audits feature (Credit added using switchs inside door not counted)

I don't understand why you want coin drop audits for free play. You still get game audits.

Quoted from No_CLU:

styles of game play require credits (You never play limited credit/game tournament?)

Most tournaments I've seen or played in had all the games set to free play. Certain locations that were already coin drop stayed as coin drop.

Quoted from No_CLU:

Features listed in operations manual and on operations menus need credit system to use.

What features? As far as I could tell, pretty much everything was accessible in my game on free play.

#24 6 days ago

Think we are going to have to agree to disagree on many points. Each owner has there own way they wish to use there cabinet.

#25 6 days ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

Audits feature (Credit added using switchs inside door not counted), styles of game play require credits (You never play limited credit/game tournament?) & earning free games becomes pointless.
Also easy way to add mechanism to cabinet without buying one. Which would seem pointless in your eyes given your own comments.

No need to get snarky, your comments about credit audits ARE pointless. You are adding a credit button which is considered freeplay. When you switch the game to freeplay it still will give you an audit telling how many games have been played. This whole concept of “Features listed in operations manual and on operations menus need credit system to use.” flatly is not true and does not exist. There are no features that are not enabled. Games played/coins dropped are one in the same unless you plan to add a button for both chutes while not actually taking coins?

Tournaments don’t use limited credits, either you pay coin drop, or you pay to enter and the games are freeplay as ForceFlow mentioned. Go to any sanctioned IFPA tournament. If you want to run real tournaments then a credit button doesn’t accomplish anything.

Quoted from No_CLU:

Think we are going to have to agree to disagree on many points. Each owner has there own way they wish to use there cabinet.

I suppose if you wish to ignore the helpful comments and want to hack up your game, that is your choice. It won’t make sense and will hurt value when you eventually sell it. Best of luck hacking up a perfectly good game when you can simply buy the mech that you think is pointless when you literally said you want to keep track of coins dropped. I guess you just don’t know what you want?

#26 6 days ago
Quoted from No_CLU:

I'm trying to understand what you're trying to accomplish by doing this. To me, what you've been saying so far hasn't made any logical sense.

If you want to keep the game on coin drop, keep it on coin drop. If you want it set to free play, there's a free play setting. There's not really an advantage to adding a credit button for coin drop.

Have you actually tried enabling the free play setting yet just to explore it?

#27 6 days ago

Why are we even still discussing this?

Its 2 effing wires. You could even bandaids and boogers to attach them if a soldering iron on too scary.

Run the wires from your coin switch to the start button. Every push of the button adds a credit and starts the game.

Its well documented in pinwiki, tired, tested, and true.

If you can prove that there is some feature that ONLY works when an actual god-forsaken quarter is inserted, please make a video and post it to Youtube for the world to see.

Until then, just wire the effing start button to the credit button and move on with your life!

#28 6 days ago
Quoted from SarverSystems:

Until then, just wire the effing start button to the credit button and move on with your life!

But there's no reason to do any rewiring with the built-in free play option...

#29 6 days ago

Can I ask the moderator to close this topic. Seems WAY off topic to me.

#31 6 days ago

I bet somehow you could make this work and not drill any holes.

s-l640 (resized).jpg
#32 6 days ago
Quoted from SarverSystems:

WIRE.
IT.
TO.
THE.
START.
BUTTON.
Simple. reversible, does exactly what you are wanting to do.
Stop yapping and start hacking!

This one sounds good enough, but then how would you start a game?

An old trick on add a ball ems was to put a switch behind one of the coin return buttons.

#33 6 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

This one sounds good enough, but then how would you start a game?
An old trick on add a ball ems was to put a switch behind one of the coin return buttons.

Just like old Sterns, it adds a credit and starts a game at the same time.

#35 6 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

I bet somehow you could make this work and not drill any holes.[quoted image]

The click sound it makes might be too loud to hear the in-game coin up sound that the OP is trying to preserve.

#36 6 days ago

OK, that makes sense. Better than drilling a hole in one of the plastic coin inserts and adding a button like the did on my Stars.

These are coin op machines and are meant to take coins. End of story.

#37 5 days ago

So if it's wired on the same circuit, Start and Credit will pulse at the same time. Forgive my ignorance but doesn't a credit need to be triggered prior to for start to work, or would pressing twice be needed?

#38 5 days ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

So if it's wired on the same circuit, Start and Credit will pulse at the same time. Forgive my ignorance but doesn't a credit need to be triggered prior to for start to work, or would pressing twice be needed?

Regarding solid state machines, it depends on the company and generation of the game. But generally, it is best practice to place the credit switch in front of the start switch. I am NOT advocating this unless absolutely neccesary. The time and hassle to add switches where they were not designed to be is not how your time is best used. That is, as long as you are not working on a Got. sys 80B machine.

Just because you have done it and I have done it does not mean it's the best solution. If that's what you want to do, go for it and keep doing it.

In the EM world for home use, I always just track down the Start Game relay and attach that to the start button on the game, bypassing any coins units or credit wheels altogether. It is reversible if you want to put the game back on location. Sometimes you encounter a game with NO coin door wiring or it's really messed up. It's a great fix for those games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 40.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside