(Topic ID: 280840)

Adding capacitor to Williams sys 7 switch(es)?

By frenchmarky

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by jwgent
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231115_230703 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Given that some early Bally games used capacitors on some switches to improve their reaction, would doing the same on a Williams sys 7 have any effect at all, good or bad? Not sure if any Williams of that era had caps on any switches but I didn't think so, just wondering what that would do, if anything. Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

It makes the switches repeat.

Ask me how I know this!

#3 3 years ago

Williams didn't really have a need for that since they scan their switch matrix much faster than Bally does.

Also, there's concerns of whether the matrix is strobed active high or active low, sometimes caps just won't work at all.

#4 3 years ago

Okay, doesn't sound like an option then. These are the pain-in-the-rump BK drop target switches that stay closed when the targets are down. Was wondering if simply adding caps would make them more likely to register. No matter how well I clean and polish the points and adjust them for minimum gap, after about a month a few will begin acting up again and sometimes not register. As far as a cap causing repeat closures, once these drop target ones are recognized as closed it wouldn't matter if the switch was opened again, so they wouldn't keep registering anyway even if the switch was manually opened and closed again (as far as scoring, but whether the switch would actually be repeating as far as the matrix is concerned, I don't know.) I'll have to either do the microswitch conversion or replace the switches or their gold points.

#5 3 years ago

A cap isn't going to do anything with non-momentary targets in any case. On ballys they're only meant to make very short closures last longer so the MPU can read them.

How have you cleaned the contacts? There are some chemicals you can try if all else fails that can do wonders. Have you confirmed it's the contacts that are the issue by jumpering the lugs?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

As far as a cap causing repeat closures, once these drop target ones are recognized as closed it wouldn't matter if the switch was opened again, so they wouldn't keep registering anyway even if the switch was manually opened and closed again (as far as scoring, but whether the switch would actually be repeating as far as the matrix is concerned, I don't know.)

You're thinking from a hardware perspective. The switches that are closed always show 'closed' in system 7 to the software, it just depends on how much time the switch would be 'open' to see if it gets repeated.

In my case, I stuck the switch cap on the extra ball trigger switch because it was missing as the ball rocketed by it. It made it with the cap on there, then it repeated it over and over until I turned the machine off.

Quoted from frenchmarky:

I'll have to either do the microswitch conversion or replace the switches or their gold points.

Do this. Adding a switch cap to fix a hardware issue seems like chasing your tail.

#7 3 years ago

Okay, repeated even with the switch open, that definitely won't work. The points are clean and polished but the gold is probably gone by now. After a clean they always work perfectly but eventually it starts up again so pretty sure it's not the switch connections etc. I suppose part of the problem besides the points getting worn is that these switches really don't have much pressure when they are closing/closed compared to ones elsewhere on the game, like a ball hitting a target or a rollover switch. The blades being well-used and adjusted many times probably reduces the tension even more over time, they just get floppy.

#8 3 years ago

What kind of driver board do you have in your game?
Are the switch matrix resistors still in place or replaced by jumpers?
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Wire_Jumpers_on_System_7_Driver_Boards

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

What kind of driver board do you have in your game?
Are the switch matrix resistors still in place or replaced by jumpers?
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Wire_Jumpers_on_System_7_Driver_Boards

It has the zero ohm resistors and when I measure them in place I do get zero ohms.

#10 3 years ago

I'm having a similar problem with my sys7 Barracora on some roller over switches. If I roll a ball over them slowly they register. If a ball goes though too fast it won't register. I thought I had cleaned the switches really good. I cleaned them a couple times with lacquer thinner and Q tip followed by alcohol and then swiped a business card though them. Still had intermittent problems.

I decided to remove the switch and clean the contacts with Novus 2 and was surprised to see how dirty my white paper towel got. That switch seems to be much more responsive now so I am going to do the rest of them tonight.

#11 3 years ago

Inspect the switch contacts - if the gold plating is gone (even if you see just a dot that's missing, right where the other contact hits it) it needs to be replaced.

Some people (myself included) use DeOxIt on these situations, and while it does work, the contacts should really be replaced instead.

DeOxIt works great on the system 3-6 drop target boards though, that's what I originally got it for.

#12 3 years ago

The contacts look shiny on the whole surface after I clean 'em, can't really say if the gold is worn thru or not. I've tried various things like DeOxit and tuner cleaner and then then finishing with clean paper.

#13 3 years ago

Do you have issues with any other switches? Maybe your connectors in the head are suspect. Switches go through those multiple connectors, I don't care for those myself, I like less connections to go bad vs. more.

They really shouldn't tarnish too quickly once clean if the plating is there.

#14 3 years ago

No other switch problems. Pretty sure it's just the contacts because when one fails to register, I can pull up on that drop target little (before the timer runs out) and it might finally trigger off. Or other pf vibrations can sometimes cause a target that fell but didn't register to register.

2 years later
#15 7 months ago

#frenchmarky, curious how you went with this, i have a hyperball thats a bit touchy on the microswitches on the tubes,i did change one bad one , fast balls fail to register , slow do, i was thinking caps too , or maybe better a 1n4148 instead of the 1n4004? , i have also done the 4049 and 7406 's plus the 16 x 470pf caps.

#16 7 months ago
Quoted from jwgent:

#frenchmarky, curious how you went with this, i have a hyperball thats a bit touchy on the microswitches on the tubes,i did change one bad one , fast balls fail to register , slow do, i was thinking caps too , or maybe better a 1n4148 instead of the 1n4004? , i have also done the 4049 and 7406 's plus the 16 x 470pf caps.

Changing the diodes to the smaller glass type will have zero effect. Yes, the 1N914/1N4148 types are faster acting but we are talking megahertz not the slow switching here.

#17 7 months ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Changing the diodes to the smaller glass type will have zero effect. Yes, the 1N914/1N4148 types are faster acting but we are talking megahertz not the slow switching here.

so probably the idea is to slow the ball down in the tube to pass by the switch at a certain rate, when they write the code for the eproms they have a number of scan cycles on the switch port >x <y sort of thing, to be needed to be detected to make it a valid switch input i thought, this would be how they eliminate spikes being transformed from other circuits in the parallel wires in the harness like a transformer of sorts. might try the cap idea like a bally just for a giggle, sometimes fault finding can be eliminating things , especially when its confusing

#18 7 months ago
Quoted from jwgent:

This was on my Black Knight. Given that Sys7 used a less-reliable lower voltage on the switch matrix (5v I think, which was raised to 12v on later systems) and the fact that the contacts and blades of my drop target switches were worn out, I decided to do a restore/conversion on most of the switches. New leaf switches in the troughs and a few rollovers, and converted the drop targets to use microswitches - the standard new ones with the plastic mounts and wire actuators that are used on rollovers in current games. I was able to use the existing switch stack screw holes in the drop units.

#19 7 months ago
Quoted from jwgent:

might try the cap idea like a bally just for a giggle, sometimes fault finding can be eliminating things , especially when its confusing

likely this won't work, as noted previously. It will repeat once activated. Now, that's with the particular cap value that bally uses, so maybe a different cap value will work here.

There's a much easier way to lengthen a switch pulse on a microswitch - instead of the activation point being an inverted V (--^--) you can reform the wireform to be flatter at the top ---\___/ (flip that diagram) - so the ball will physically roll with it activated for a longer time. I had to do this when I swapped an AFM playfield to get the saucer shot consistently registering.

The software switch smoothing in system 7 counts the amount of time a switch is physically closed depending on the type of switch (there are 7 standard types, but the timing is different from game to game).

2 months later
#20 5 months ago

77 days later and i finally got round to playing with the tube switches with a clear head. i had replaced the micro and the diode to see a slow switch actuation was registering but a fast one like the cannon would deliver wouldn't. i tried a 473 polyester and it was not any help. i tried a 105 ceramic and bingo! things are happy. next is to try the other six or so, or maybe ill load the whole lot up? i hadn't read the comment about switch blade shaping, makes sense but maybe will also send me silly trying to get it right for each unit. it is kind of like the switch 330ohm verses wire link jumpers between -6 to -7 games maybe. crossing fingers multiple caps wont have some unwanted side effect.

20231115_230703 (resized).jpg20231115_230703 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#21 3 months ago

and it seems to work, i did have trouble getting the balls stuck thru poor bending of the actuator,
quite frustrating. when the balls go in the tubes and "vibrate" their way down the switch was always guaranteed to register
when it seemed to thunder thru it could sometimes not register.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1,059.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-capacitor-to-williams-sys-7-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.