(Topic ID: 296606)

adding battery pack am i doing this right?

By quantumjosh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Schwemmer_DIPSW_mod256.png
Hollywood_Heat_DIPDW_numbering_page-12.png
Hollywood_Heat_DIPSW_settings_page-6.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 10.14.06 PM (resized).png
IMG_8714 (resized).jpg
IMG_8713 (resized).jpg
IMG_8712 (resized).jpg
IMG_8726 (resized).jpg
HollyWood_Heat_DSW06.png
4944B9D6-9984-4BFB-8924-73CC01FB5E76 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

bought a hollywood heat pinball machine but it doesnt save the scores. it doesnt look like theres any battery installed although there is a little sticker that says “do not populate batt with nvram loaded”.. so i bought a battery pack to mount off of the circuit board, do i just need to solder the pos and neg to where it says + - on the board? am i doing this right? dont want to mess up my circuit board.

4944B9D6-9984-4BFB-8924-73CC01FB5E76 (resized).jpeg4944B9D6-9984-4BFB-8924-73CC01FB5E76 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

Your board looks like it has an NVRAM installed (NON Volatile RAM). It doesn't need a battery to retain scores, that's the entire point of an NVRAM.

In fact adding the battery might actually cause damage.

How about the warning - “do not populate batt with nvram loaded” - that also means DON'T WIRE ANY BATTERY to this board! I guess there are only so many words that the manufacturer can put on a sticker.....

#4 2 years ago

Your arm is in the way and I can't see the whole board. If you already have a NVRAM installed, do NOT connect a battery pack or you will damage the board.

You neglected to mention the brand of board installed in your machine.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

brand of board

I'd say Swemmer judging by the X near the middle finger. Mine looks the same in my Rock Encore

Quoted from quantumjosh:

there is a little sticker that says “do not populate batt with nvram loaded”

quantumjosh Don't add a battery pack. It's not needed on this board.

#6 2 years ago

As the other posters have said, you appear to have a Swemmer board with NVRAM, so you would NOT want to attach the battery pack.

Just a thought but do you have a manual for your game that you could check your dip switch settings against? I know on my MC, there’s a dip switch that controls whether high games to date are reset on power off.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

I know on my MC, there’s a dip switch that controls whether high games to date are reset on power off.

Good call, looks like it might be DIP switch 6:

HollyWood_Heat_DSW06.pngHollyWood_Heat_DSW06.png

#8 2 years ago

took a better photos of the board as well as the pages in the manual that discuss the dip switch and the high scores. it doesnt say anything about dip switch 6 but i tried changing the position anyway for good measure but still not saving scores 2-5.
swemmer board = yes
what else? as you can tell from my first q im a novice :O

IMG_8712 (resized).jpgIMG_8712 (resized).jpgIMG_8713 (resized).jpgIMG_8713 (resized).jpgIMG_8714 (resized).jpgIMG_8714 (resized).jpgIMG_8726 (resized).jpgIMG_8726 (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2021-07-13 at 10.14.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-07-13 at 10.14.06 PM (resized).png
#9 2 years ago
Quoted from quantumjosh:

took a better photos of the board as well as the pages in the manual that discuss the dip switch and the high scores. it doesnt say anything about dip switch 6

The function of DIP switch 6 is listed on page 6.
Note the DIP switches on your board are marked 0 to 7. The originals are numbered 1 to 8. So the 6 you're pointing to is actually DIP switch 7. ON is in the up position.
See the diagrams below:

Hollywood_Heat_DIPSW_settings_page-6.pngHollywood_Heat_DIPSW_settings_page-6.png
Hollywood_Heat_DIPDW_numbering_page-12.pngHollywood_Heat_DIPDW_numbering_page-12.png
Schwemmer_DIPSW_mod256.pngSchwemmer_DIPSW_mod256.png

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from quantumjosh:

took a better photos of the board as well as the pages in the manual that discuss the dip switch and the high scores. it doesnt say anything about dip switch 6 but i tried changing the position anyway for good measure but still not saving scores 2-5.
swemmer board = yes
what else? as you can tell from my first q im a novice :O
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah as has been pointed out. That green chip right next to where your have your battery pack mounted is the NVRam chip.

Side note… if you are ever putting a battery pack in another game I’d extend the wiring so you’re mounting the pack away from other boards. Although not likely you don’t want possible leakage from the battery pack dripping down to that board you have directly below it. Keep it away for all the boards. But also as noted. Get your dip switches properly set and your issue is likely solved.

#11 2 years ago

6th pin down from the top (#5) did the trick. thanks for all your help!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-battery-pack-am-i-doing-this-right?hl=quantumjosh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.