You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SAMSuperKit (resized).jpg
DSCN1027 (resized).JPG
DSCN1025 (resized).JPG
SuperKit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago

Hey guys Greg from Pinball Pro here. I have done many things for pinball audio including running an amp (several of them), 10” subwoofers, 12” subwoofers, even 15”. Our speakers can absolutely take an amp. There are lots of ways of installing an amp with basic knowledge of speakers and sound.

Why haven’t we offered amps kits?

The first reason, amps are so widely available already, and at a very affordable price. It would not be worth making custom Pinball Pro amps when they basically already exist. It also takes a higher level of installation knowledge.

The second reason, in our experience, the amp is ALOT. The design of our speakers, they already achieve a decent volume level and bass output that is more than sufficient for the above average person. When I say a lot, I mean rattles like a 72 Monte Carlo, it’s just too loud, so we did not see the need. Though we have directed many how to do it. Customers adding an amp do it at their own risk.

How did we do it?

We used a few different kinds, but ultimately found excessive power was money wasted. So no need to go crazy with power. We have used and tested the amps below.

The first is the Dayton Audio Plate amps the SA70 is a lot, the SA25 is very good as well. These drop right into the coin box and plug into the service outlet which works great with the auto on/off feature. It is easily wired and adjusted for correct balance and output.
SA70
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa70-70w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-784
SA25
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa25-25w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-782

We have also used several of the Lepai amps, finding 40 watts is kind of the sweet spot, with an adapter you can also use the service outlet or tie it into the power supply.
Lepai LP-168HA
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-168ha-21-2x40w-mini-amplifier-1x68w-sub-output--310-308

There are a host of $25 amplifier boards as well, with basic knowledge these can be added to any game. https://www.parts-express.com/tda7492-digital-audio-amplifier-board-2x50w--320-606

If you want really loud and lots of bass, we can do 500 watts and a 12” sub. Let’s be real, the pinball will bounce, LEDs will fall out etc. there is point of no return and it’s time to move external. While it’s cool, most people don’t want so loud you can’t talk.

WE HAVE A SPECIAL CONNECTION ON OUR SUBWOOFER DESIGNED FOR EXTERNAL SUBS. For those wanting Pinball Pro, and the ability to add an external, our subs have a connection for the external sub wiring. We also sell back box only kits for the external guys.

We tested amps 10 years ago through today and do custom installs, and it is easily done. There is no need for us to make or invest in after market kits when there are already easy to use amps. Also many whom have done it agree, it just over kill, but it is still fun to do!

Long story short we have not offered them because it is so easy, and did not feel demand was there. We can certainly look at the offering if folks truly see a need!

Greg M
Pinballpro.com

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Greetings, Greg! Dan at PinWoofer here. Thanks for your notes and I am sincerely pleased to make your acquaintance.
Our amp options will definitely increase your aftermarket cabinet and backbox speaker's acoustic intensity, under nearly all circumstances. I've got several of yours in play personally, and they are holding up fine - all with my amp of course, for obvious reasons. As you stated: "Our speakers can absolutely take an amp." and I agree.
I've sold many amp only kits whose target is your product, and guys like the results. This was something I wanted to support from day one knowing that a lot of guys out there have invested in aftermarket solutions such as yours, and I genuinely wanted to offer a path to improve upon what's already out there.
In terms of ease of installation, our kit has taken care of this. We've made it possible for anyone to install and get up and running quick with hand tools and no soldering. Custom power cables and tap in wiring. Ease of installation is paramount to our kit design. There are a lot of guys out there who simply do not have the tools or expertise to do anything close to DIY and we are here to fill that niche. Respectfully, I disagree with your statement that this is easy. For many, it has not been easy and until now not obvious. However, we've made it easy and we will improve on what we've done so far.
Our internal cabinet subwoofer adds a terrific amount of bass and improves the character of the pin dramatically. In my opinion, passive aftermarket solutions such as yours are disappointing on their own and you certainly do not feel the bass in your hands and feet during game play like the powered PinWoofer.
We have significant engineering and manufacturing prowess and we will be improving our product constantly for the benefit of our customers.
Thank you for you attention!

Hey Dan, I will have to check out your product! We should also chat about how your amp works with our kits, I would like to hear more. Thanks for your business and for buying our speakers.

In response
“Respectfully, I disagree with your statement that this is easy. For many, it has not been easy and until now not obvious.”

While there are some people that may struggle, I think I general the concept of connecting an amp or a speaker is pretty simple. Though I have encountered people whom needed additional help, I believe a person lacking the basic knowledge to connect a speaker (+/-) should probably not tackle a project like this, get some assistance from someone with the knowledge, or buy a ready made kit.

Finally, Pinball Pro speakers are built in a way to maximize the sound of a stock game, and it works very well. Plug and play, this is certainly designed for the person that wants a simple solution. Adding external power or amp of any brand will no doubt increase the volume and performance of a quality speaker such as Pinball Pro.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,600 (OBO)
$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-amp-to-pinball-pro-speakers?tu=ovfdfireman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.