Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MVIMG_20180201_172624 (resized).jpg
    image-616.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-708.jpg
    20130907_101635.jpg
    20130907_101610.jpg
    20130907_101218.jpg
    100_0019.JPG
    100_0018.JPG
    IMG_1342_(Large).JPG
    IMG_1340_(Large).JPG
    40a64254f2d9428e97ff1ee8b741e86a.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 10 years ago

You can't just guess with a powered subwoofer. Randomly "trying" things is a sure way to blow the audio system of your pin. If in doubt post a picture, make & model of sub and others will help you out.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Side bar but on Metallica is the white stripped wire the negative ? I blew my sound board and cant figure out why.
    Dummy me threw out the stern stock speaker.
    First time I have an issue installing ff and external powered sub.
    On Tron they both together rocked!

In the audio world the striped wire is *usually* the negative. But that being said, as far as audio goes reversing the positive and negative would only put cause the audio to be out of phase, that in itself would not cause damage to the output amplifier. From the amplifier to speaker it doesn't matter at all in a mono system, in a stereo system it doesn't matter as long as each speaker is connected the same way to keep them all in phase.

The common mistake is connecting amplified audio from your device (pinball machine or whatever) to line inputs of a powered subwoofer. Basically, it's connecting the two amplifiers back to back is what causes the damage. If your input signal is amplified already, you would need to connect this to special inputs(usually called 'speaker level' inputs). This special input has impedance matching components to reduce the input level back down to the line level that the subwoofer's amplifier can use.

#43 10 years ago

Your negative wire is on the wrong terminal, it needs to go to the negative terminal closest to the positive (one terminal to the left)

#46 10 years ago

"powers" from the negative? What do you mean - you have audio working then?

Breaking this down....
    Try the sub with a home audio system, if it works fine the problem is the game sound system. If it does not the problem is the sub.

Hook up a regular game speaker for the game, does it work now?

My hunch is either you have fried the sub or fried the games audio system, one or the other.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Solid black wire is negative. Striped wire is positive.... I know it's conceptually difficult but it's right.

This is correct statement for POWER wiring. The convention for audio wiring is that it does not matter as long as you connect x to x and y to y. Nine times out of ten you'll find that audio folks use the striped wire as negative, and nobody is going to punch out the the tenth guy who decided to designate his striped wire as positive in his audio wiring.

btw..I'm the tenth guy.

4 years later
    #61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gleger:

I'm getting this Polk psw303 sub for my machine. I would run the wires in the speaker level input correct?

Yes, if you are tapping directly off the games speaker terminals, then you would use the lower pairs of terminals marked speaker level input.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I have 6 of these...And they don't rattle the glass.

Except maybe the windows of your neighbors house

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-a-subwoofer-to-pinball?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.