Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Gunnut40
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I am not a qualified electrician, and I'm assuming the answer is "no", but would it be possible/practical to DIY a service outlet into a Spooky machine? In my Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle there are switched phase and neutral wires coming out of the power supply to figure-8 cable (for a small 12VDC(?) power supply). Those wires could be connected to a surface-mount electrical outlet, and a ground wire could be run to the back of the IEC socket. Plug in a multiboard, internally power the PinStadiums, something, PROFIT!

File under #WhatsTheWorstThatCouldHappen

#2 4 years ago

For the TNA shooter meter I am using a figure 8 splitter to add a 5v power supply next to the amplifier 12v. Cheap, easy, and loads of power. I was looking for something to create a similar outlet but then you're messing with mains power. A splitter was as far as I wanted to go.

#3 4 years ago

Yea, a figure-8 splitter would be an easy fix, but one of the Pinstadium power supplies uses the earth pin.

I found some low-voltage plugs & sockets that fit those power supplies, so for the time being I'll power them externally and run low voltage wire in underneath the backbox.

#4 4 years ago

Other pinball machine manufacturers include a service outlet in their machines. Why doesn't Spooky include this essential item in their machines?

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Other pinball machine manufacturers include a service outlet in their machines. Why doesn't Spooky include this essential item in their machines?

Do other manufacturers do it on export machines ? OP isn't in the USA.

LTG : )

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Do other manufacturers do it on export machines ? OP isn't in the USA.
    LTG : )

Yea, I think the manufactures would run into all sorts of issues with international electrical safety standards if they had a service port on every machine. My TZ and has a round plastic cover in place of the outlet, but my Gottlieb Gladiators has the US style sockets in a 240V power supply - not sure if that's technically legal here.

#7 4 years ago

When I worked at a local arcade in the end of 1970's, I made an extension cord with US plug and two European sockets to power my soldering iron and service lamp from the US style service outlet, which indeed was 220V and probably very illegal

#8 4 years ago

Trolled! Is that word

#9 4 years ago

Sorry pinside my bad. To many wobbley pops.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

because it's not in the schematics and manuals obviously.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

Sorry pinside my bad. To many wobbley pops.

Mmmmm... tasty, tasty wobbly pops!

(I'm assuming they're alcoholic?)

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

because it's not in the schematics and manuals obviously.

"The sourcecode IS the manual!"

2 weeks later
    #13 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballShoppe:

Mmmmm... tasty, tasty wobbly pops!
    (I'm assuming they're alcoholic?)

Yep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-a-service-outlet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.