Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Cherga
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190222-110108_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

People keep raving about powered subwoofers so I grabbed a PSW10. How do I hook it up?

How do I hook it up to CGC remakes?
    How do I hook it up to JJP's?
    How do I hook it up to Whitestar Stern's?
    How do I hook it up to SAM Stern's?
    How do I hook it up to Williams Funhouse?
    How do I hook it up to TNA?

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Pretty much the easiest way is to run speaker wire with alligator clips. Clip to the positive and negative terminals to the speaker in the cabinet and run it out through a mesh grate to your sub.

#3 5 years ago

on the JJP games theres a sub out connection so that really helps. I've always purchased the pinnovators sub out mod (its super cheap), and that seems to work the best

#4 5 years ago

Or you use any line out converter out there, hook it up with alligator clips to the Bass speaker, ground it to the cabinet and run a RCA cable to the Sub.

Or if you want to go bigger, deeper and more extreme: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-different-approach-to-external-bass-amp-subwoofers

#5 5 years ago

I need to start a new thread.
    “How to get your wife to actually let you crank one of these up”

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

No wife here

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

The beauty of it is, once it's cranked up ya can't hear her complaining!

#8 5 years ago

http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=54
    I got one of these $120 with a $10 subwoofer cable kit from them and it works great on my Stern AC/DC Premium (SAM Machine).
    I like it because it has volume control on the front of the coin door as well as a separate volume control for the headphones.
    I can turn off all the sound from the machine and play with headphones only, which is a big plus at my house...

#9 5 years ago

Just did this for my CV and MB. Boy what a difference. Polk Audio PSW10 $89.99 Amazon.

#10 5 years ago

Has anyone tried one of these powered subs from Monoprice? The description says it does have an adjustable crossover and level control. Plus speaker level inputs, so no Rca cable required.

Screenshot_20190222-110108_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190222-110108_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #11 5 years ago

May I humbly submit another option:

https://pinwoofer.com/

PM if you want a discount.

Thanks

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Here is another option:
    PM if you have any questions or want to get specific to your installation.
    Thanks

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Has anyone tried one of these powered subs from Monoprice? The description says it does have an adjustable crossover and level control. Plus speaker level inputs, so no Rca cable required.
    [quoted image]

Did you end up getting the Monoprice one? I have 6 or 7 of the Polk Audio ones, you can usually get them with free shipping. I like that you can plug 2 games into one, and can disconnect/move them easily from one game to another, or if you sell the game. I also used one as a replacement for my home stereo when i blew up my other sub lol. Easy to sell by themselves if you want to do away with them altogether too. I've bought cables and accessories from Monoprice but nothing larger -

#14 5 years ago

not the cheapest price ever but not bad $99

Polk Audio PSW10 10" Powered Subwoofer

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer-Single/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Did you end up getting the Monoprice one? I have 6 or 7 of the Polk Audio ones, you can usually get them with free shipping. I like that you can plug 2 games into one, and can disconnect/move them easily from one game to another, or if you sell the game. I also used one as a replacement for my home stereo when i blew up my other sub lol. Easy to sell by themselves if you want to do away with them altogether too. I've bought cables and accessories from Monoprice but nothing larger -

I got a MonoPrice sub and would not recommend it. There is a thread around here somewhere describing the issues some of us had with it.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

May I humbly submit another option:
    PM if you want a discount.
    Thanks

How does your compare to the pinnovator product? Does it work on different platforms (stern, williams, CGC, etc)....

#17 5 years ago

I've added Polk PSW10 powered subwoofers to nearly all my Sterns, my Houdini, and my JJP POTC.

All Sterns were connected to backbox driver board via a Pinnovators sub connection module (also recommend their coin door audio control units available for SPIKE or earlier games). POTC sub was connected directly into the game's CPU's audio output using a Y-splitter to allow continued connection of headphone jack on front of game as well. Houdini sub was connected directly to sub speaker connections provided in backbox.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

How does your compare to the pinnovator product? Does it work on different platforms (stern, williams, CGC, etc)....

Ours is an amplified replacement for the original cabinet speaker; dual voice coil speaker, mounting ring and amplifier. Fully integrates into the pin with no wires leaving the cabinet.

This differs from the solution you have mentioned (which is a terrific product, by the way).

There are many obvious advantages and disadvantages with internal versus external that will continue to get debated.

You can look through the announcement thread "New Amplified Subwoofer Kits by PinWoofer" as well.

We also offer an amplifier only option for those who have invested in aftermarket passive subwoofer upgrades. It is a way to get more out of the plunge those guys have already taken.

Our kits are designed to be compatible with any amplifier configured to drive a 4 Ohm or greater load (impedance matched isolation transformers). I.e. a pinball sound board and other aftermarket boards.

So far we have been compatible with every pin install. Still, we're keeping track and will document on the web site after customer feedback.

Take a look at the website. https://pinwoofer.com/

Thanks for asking

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Ours is an amplified replacement for the original cabinet speaker; dual voice coil speaker, mounting ring and amplifier. Fully integrates into the pin with no wires leaving the cabinet.
    This differs from the solution you have mentioned (which is a terrific product, by the way).
    There are many obvious advantages and disadvantages with internal versus external that will continue to get debated.
    You can look through the announcement thread "New Amplified Subwoofer Kits by PinWoofer" as well.
    We also offer an amplifier only option for those who have invested in aftermarket passive subwoofer upgrades. It is a way to get more out of plunge those guys have already taken.
    Our kits are designed to be compatible with any amplifier configured to drive a 4 Ohm or greater load (impedance matched isolation transformers). I.e. a pinball sound board and other aftermarket boards.
    So far we have been compatible with every pin install. Still, we're keeping track and will document on the web site after customer feedback.
    Take a look at the website. https://pinwoofer.com/
    Thanks for asking

Very informative and professional explanation. Nicely done.

2 weeks later
    #20 5 years ago

Can anyone shed some light on hooking up multiple pins to the PSW10? I usually connect two pins to each PSW10 via speaker wire. I have a Stern that has the Pinovators sub kit using the line connection (RCA cables). When I connect the pin, I lose the sound on the speaker wire connections and only have sound on the pin using the RCA jacks. I imagine this is by design however is there a way around it so I don’t have to use a dedicated sub for this machine?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-a-powered-subwoofer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.