(Topic ID: 200361)

Adding a powered sub inside the cabinet?

By Luckydogg420

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM00866 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckydogg420.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Has anyone done this before? I’m thinking about a modern Stern (I own GoT). How difficult would it be to remove the base cabinet speaker and install a powered sub in its place? You could use the existing speaker wire, install an amp and new speaker and your good to go; right? It could be plugged into the service outlet or tapped in, to get power from the game.

Would it be better to leave the original cabinet speaker and add a 2nd speaker (powered sub) into the back of the pin. Either cut a new hole for the 2nd speaker or use an in-wall induction speaker that mounts onto the cabinet. If it’s just for bass sound quality shouldn’t be to much of an issue.

What about upgrading the stock speakers to a flipper fidelity package. Would that be enough that you wouldn’t want to add an external sub.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

I've found the best way is just add an external sub and place underneath the game. Run wires through back, attach alligator clips and done. I would not invest in another sub to be place in cabinet, I don't think the cabinets are properly suited to give quality sound with a free air sub. When you're done with game, simply remove the wires and move to the next one.
These seem to be real popular with the pinball community.
amazon.com link »

I understand that this is the easiest way to add some bass, but I’m not keen on having a sub on the floor under the pin. I’d prefer an option enclosed in the game.

Quoted from TheLaw:

You put a powered sub touching the cabinet it's going to be shaker city. Most people do external

I have a shaker on my game and I guarantee you that no speaker would move a cabinet as much as a shaker motor does. Unless of course it’s a 15” sub playing a loud 20hrz signal. Music playing bass wouldn’t have as noticeable of an effect as a shaker motor.

Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

The answer is yes, the Flipper Fidelity 10" package is enough that you won't care about a powered sub. I've installed a lot of Pinball Pro and Flipper Fidelity kits. Have also done some do-it-yourself speaker upgrades (coax speakers plus woofer with crossover and L-pad). I've done the external powered sub thing too. Mostly WPC, but some SAM, Whitestar, WPC-95 and Spike as well. So far, my experience has been that the Flipper Fidelity packages are fantastic in Spike and WPC-95 games. You would probably be delighted with the Flipper Fidelity 10" kit in a GOT. I installed one in my Ghostbusters and it's well worth it.

So the flipper fidelity package is a huge upgrade over the stock speakers, but is it as noticeable as a sub on the floor? My stock speakers are loud enough for the room, but I’d prefer a more full sound with rich deep bass.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

Putting one in the cabinet will cause the glass to vibrate and make horrible noises.

Oh, I agree that the glass may rattle, but noting like a shaker motor will do. IMHO

Quoted from Pugsley:

Or you can take that sub apart and use its amp and speaker in your cabinet. No guarantee it will sound any good but you could do it.

I built a virtual pin from scratch and used a 2.1 plate amp with 2 coax speakers and a sub in the bottom of the cabinet. That worked out well. I didn’t notice and glass rattle; although I do currently hear the glass in Game of Thrones when the shaker goes off. (Maybe my build quality is better then Sterns)
http://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/2340-mortal-pinball-kombat-a-build-thread/

Quoted from PinRob:

Your not going to get rich deep bass from mounting a sub inside the cabinet. A pinball cabinet isn’t really a good enclosure to give you acoustics like a external sub will do.

This is very true. For great sound you need to have an enclosure tuned for your speaker. I have great sound from my home theater, this is just pinball. It could be better but I’m not hoping for anything to spectacular.

Quoted from sparechange1974:

The sub in the cabinet will never be as good as stand alone powered under cab

Ok. I agree that a stand alone sub would sound the best. ( but for sake of argument let’s say that a sub on the floor won’t work for this location)

Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Seeing you don't like the idea of a sub on the floor and just adding after market speakers can really tax the amp on sound board and cause all sorts of issues.

I always thought that FF systems came with an additional amp to power them. If not then they’re outta the question. What’s their special sauce? Just A crossover?

I think that it would work fairly well and could sound much better then original. Just by adding a powered amp like Spooky Pinball does and swapping out the cabinet speaker with a matched sub. Something with a variable crossover so that you could tune it to sound best for the game it’s in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckydogg420.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-a-powered-sub-inside-the-cabinet?tu=luckydogg420 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.