(Topic ID: 236000)

adding a molex quick connect on a flipper coil?

By heme

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

any reason this would be a stupid idea, using .093 pins?
    Figured it's better then actual quick connects at the terminals that might vibrate off eventually.

#2 1 year ago

Well what's the worst that happens when they vibrate off? You just reconnect it.
    Not stupid, but pointless maybe? But hey what isn't these days.

#3 1 year ago

How often do you switch out your flipper coil? maybe if game is on location and you have spare ones ready to swap in solder free it would make sense. Not so sure on home collection though? But its your game do what you want

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from heme:

any reason this would be a stupid idea, using .093 pins?
    Figured it's better then actual quick connects at the terminals that might vibrate off eventually.

HEP does it on all his builds. I’ve been adding connectors for coils and switches anytime I need to service something. Makes it easier to work on at the bench and to reinstall later. Haven’t had one vibrate apart yet

#5 1 year ago

I put quick connects on all the machines I've restored, rebuilt or shopped. Then those machines go to the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show for an entire weekend of play (many of them have been back multiple years now).

I've only had one incident where a quick connect has come loose. I tightened the contact and re-inserted it onto the coil lug and it's never come off since.

I've also had one coil burn up during the show (same machine I think) and replacing that coil on the show floor was super easy.

I suck at soldering at a machine when the playfield is vertical. On a bench (or table) I can solder just fine.

#6 1 year ago

I like rebuilding flipper mechs on the bench too. You can position it where you want it and get that nice solder job your looking for. No risk of a solder glob getting on something on the PF somewhere else. EOS switches and caps can be put on more easily and neatly on the bench too. (For me anyway) I Molex most everything these days. Many different crimping tools work fine most likely, but I got one of these and it makes factory quality crimps every time. https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3132-CT&cat=89

#7 1 year ago

awesome, thanks for the info everyone. I'd assumed it was ok, but you never know what experiences others might of had.

#8 1 year ago

I like putting connectors on the various assemblies. Makes it so much easier to simply unplug the assembly and take it over to the bench to work on it. This is especially helpful to do on Williams drop target units.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    Pinball Machine
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Guns N' Roses (LE) Out of stock
    The Pinball Place
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 29.99
    $ 89.99
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 109.95
    Electronics
    PinSound
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 64.95
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside