• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by Sprudeldudel
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screencapture-web-archive-org-web-20040805230701-http-www-thepaisleys-com-PaisleyPinball-MB-how-to-add-a-real-knocker-htm-2022-0
IMG_20200821_075150797.jpg
IMG_20200821_075211444.jpg

#1 2 years ago

Gang:

I noticed that the wiring and molex plug already existed in the backbox, but there was no knocker installed in Monster Bash.

The manual reflects the wiring to be associated with solenoid 7 which is designated as "not used".

So, I wired one up and went into test mode only to get...nothing.

Has anyone added a knocker to Monster Bash or have some insight that they can share?

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

As far as I know, you can't test it, but it should work during the game nonetheless. Don't forget to turn off the fake knocker (A.2.17).

#3 2 years ago

Some games work, some don’t. I’ve not figured out why.

Maybe test the transistor that powers the knocker, I don’t think it’s used by anything else and may not work.

#4 2 years ago

Last I knew it was a software issue that had been rectified by Chicago Coin. Revision 1.03 I believe. CC and PBL I believe sell kits if necessary.

Thanks
Blake

#5 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, all!

I have already wired up a full kit...and was wondering if it was software because in the test menu it jumps from solenoid 6 to solenoid 8 w/o even an option for testing solenoid 7.

I have NOT disabled the fake knocker antinea so I will do that next, increase the match percentage and see if I can get it to fire outside of the test menu.

All this talk of fake versus real knockers DOES make it hard not to act immature...

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Thanks for the feedback, all!
I have already wired up a full kit...and was wondering if it was software because in the test menu it jumps from solenoid 6 to solenoid 8 w/o even an option for testing solenoid 7.
I have NOT disabled the fake knocker antinea so I will do that next, increase the match percentage and see if I can get it to fire outside of the test menu.
All this talk of fake versus real knockers DOES make it hard not to act immature...

Is this the original MB or remake? If remake what code are you running?

Thanks
Blake

#7 2 years ago

This is an original build, Blake.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

This is an original build, Blake.

Oh my bad. Let me look into it as many folks have recalled having originals with working knockers (obviously a successful aftermarket installation). I thought it was CC. They just recently released new code updates enabling the use of actual knockers.

Thanks
Blake

#9 2 years ago

Ok, mystery solved, Shaggy!

Turns out that after adding the mech, one simply needs to turn the default setting for "knocker noise" to off.

Thanks to everyone who offered insight...Real knockers rule!

#10 2 years ago

does the remake have a knocker in it. i have the SE . the knocker sound on it is much better than the stern noise.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

does the remake have a knocker in it. i have the SE . the knocker sound on it is much better than the stern noise.

No but you can add one. And newer code allows for it to be utilized.

Thanks
Blake

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

Thanks
Blake

Do you happen to know which knocker kit from PBL works with MBR?

#13 2 years ago

A friend has a MBR SE version. No knocker in it. Manual does not even show a knocker or it's wiring.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

Thanks
Blake

It's it worth it? Never heard a real knocker

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

It's it worth it? Never heard a real knocker

Williams games like Black Knight had a knocker and a bell.
The sound is loud and would scare small animals...
Plus, everyone in the room would know that you were winning...
If you got the high score, it would normally knock 3 times... (like the song)
If you get the bell ringing (a loud big bell) everyone in the room knew that you were winning as well.
Sounded like the bell they used to ring at my school when it was time to move to a new classroom.
Or the sound on a slot machine that has hit the jackpot.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

A friend has a MBR SE version. No knocker in it. Manual does not even show a knocker or it's wiring.

Correct. It reproduces the original which didn’t have a hardware knocker.

9 months later
#17 1 year ago
Quoted from xeneize:

I noticed that the wiring and molex plug already existed in the backbox

Can you maybe post a photo or two, so i can get an idea, which exact plug i can connect to? bought a real knocker from PBL and looking to install this...

Thank you

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

Can you maybe post a photo or two, so i can get an idea, which exact plug i can connect to? bought a real knocker from PBL and looking to install this...
Thank you

It is the only loose connector in the backbox - a 2-connector Molex; it is long enough to connect a knocker to be mounted at the top of the backbox

#19 1 year ago

Make sure your knocker doesn't have a diode, if it does, cut one end of it.

IMG_20200821_075150797.jpgIMG_20200821_075211444.jpg
#20 1 year ago

thank you. im looking to install in an original game, not the remake

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Make sure your knocker doesn't have a diode, if it does, cut one end of it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Hm, I'll have to check if mine has a diode or not

1 year later
#22 25 days ago

Can someone please post an orogonal MB with a knocker installed? I dont know what to wire it to.

#23 24 days ago

Curious, what's the reason for no diode?

#24 24 days ago

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/SXebHEMJkIk/m/Yec38MUhyh4J

Not sure if the images I shared are still there, 2004 was a while ago.

#25 24 days ago

I found the 2004 version of website referenced on the german forum on the "waybackmachine". HEre is a screenshot of the site, which I am posting as reference.

screencapture-web-archive-org-web-20040805230701-http-www-thepaisleys-com-PaisleyPinball-MB-how-to-add-a-real-knocker-htm-2022-0
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!