Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by HighVoltage
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

series (resized).png
SB2 (resized).jpg
SB1 (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

I have a Sega space jam and want to add a 2nd speaker to it seeing sega were too cheap to add one

Im going to buy a set of cheap 4" 4ohm car speakers. Now to i just wire the + and - to the existing speaker?

As i read this

"The Sega amps are only 4 ohm capable. If you are using standard car audio 4 ohm speakers, these need to be wired in series. Do not just run the wires also over to the new speaker. If you do that you will be putting too much strain and heat on the audio amp and will blow it eventually if not soon. The proper way to wire these in series would be to desolder and move the - wire from the original speaker to the - on the new speaker. Then run a new wire from the - on the original to the + on the new speaker. Now everything is wired safely."

So wanted to make sure i wire it right so i dont blow the amp. Any help would be awesome

#2 6 months ago

So these two images which one is right?

SB1 (resized).jpgSB2 (resized).jpg

#3 6 months ago

Not something I've done on a pinball machine (so perhaps take this with a grain of salt [I have done many car/home stereo installs]), but from what you mention, I would use two 8-ohm speakers and wire them in parallel (like #1). That should offer better power from the amp than two 4-ohm speakers wired in series. Two 8-ohm in parallel gives you 4-ohms, while two 4-ohm in series would be 8-ohms (the lower the ohms, the more wattage you'll get from the amp, but as you note, not all amps can handle that). As I expect the audio is mono anyway, I'm not sure if it could potentially be better to fit a slightly larger, single speaker instead at 4-ohms?

#4 6 months ago

Neither of your images is correct. On first speaker you want in to + and then the out from - to + of second speaker and out from - of second speaker back to board. See image below. You can do what Medisinyl says too, but I actually prefer the series wiring. There's plenty of power to the backbox anyways, so increasing the ohms actually creates a more pleasant balance with the cabinet speaker with more bass. You could and should also find a high-sensitivity 4-ohm subwoofer for the cab and put a low-pass filter on it to complete the effect.

I did it on my X Files and it sounds amazing.

series (resized).png

#5 6 months ago

Thanks guys i need to use a 4ohm speaker as it has 4ohm stock

#6 6 months ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Thanks giys i need to use a 4ohm speaker as thats what is already in there

I'm saying that two 8-ohm speakers IS a 4-ohm speaker (in parallel), which would be optimal if you must use two speakers. Two 4-ohm speakers will result in either 2-ohm (parallel) or 8-ohm (series). 2-ohm possibly doing damage, and 8-ohm drawing less wattage from the amp.

#7 6 months ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I'm saying that two 8-ohm speakers IS a 4-ohm speaker (in parallel), which would be optimal if you must use two speakers.

Right i get what your saying now. Makes sense as i looked at my south park and it has 2 8ohms speakers wired in parallel.

I think the hard part will be finding 8ohm speakers

#8 6 months ago

Edited post, see above ^^^

#9 6 months ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Right i get what your saying now. Makes sense as i looked at my souther park and it have 2 8ohms speakers wired in parallel.
I think the hard part will be finding 8ohm speakers

While two 8-ohm would work as I noted, it sounds like HighVoltage knows more about your specific application, so you've got options

#10 6 months ago

Just FYI, both of your images are parallel wiring, the second one you're just making the second speaker out-of-phase. Stern seems to do that or used to on some of their machines. Some say it is for a pseudo-surround effect, others say it's just a dumb mistake.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greenville, SC
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
ULEKstore
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 0.35
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Toppers
liorillusion
$ 35.00
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside